NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RESULTS ARE UP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:09am
Congrats everyone! Some very good stories didn't make it through - and some did! Mine, sadly not but I'm glad to be able to focus on my next project. Good luck on the weekend to everyone who got through. Go, go, go!
Sponsored Links

PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:15am

Naw!  I was looking forward to a 24-hour thingy. Cry

Well done to all those who are moving on!  Happy to provide beta-skills if you require your work reading by this sad sack!Approve

MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:33am
An honourable mention? What a load of sh*t. More like dishonourable mention because they dishonoured the written word. I bet they wanted to give the amateur writers some more confidence. Sigh, I guess I'll have to actually try in the Flash Fiction Competition. I guarantee two judges gave me top marks and the third judge had terrible taste, and I am sure this will be represented in the feedback. That's the only possible explanation for why I finished fourth. My story was clearly superior. That's not ego, that's just a fact.

Oh well. It's everyone else who competes in this tournament that will pay the price for this egregious mistake. I was going to win this Short Story Contest and disappear into the sunset. Now I'm going to win every one of these NYC Midnight writing contests for the rest of eternity and ruin everyone's fun until the dust that remains of this place will be long erased by the wind, and you can all thank the judge that made it happen.

No more half-assing short stories in ten hours like I've done so far, trying to give you all a chance to win, while you tear your hair out putting everything you have into mediocre stories. No more Mr. Nice, Mattrick. No more. Pure extirpation of the competition is what the future is. Nothing but skull bashing in all your future. And my girl, Lucille? Lucille is thirsty. She is a vampire bat.

Edited by MattrickBT - 09 May 2018 at 2:41am
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
Caroline View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:16am
HM for me. So many of my very favourite stories - that I thought were no brainers for the finals - haven't gone through. And some brilliant stories made it. All the best to those who will be scribbling on Saturday.
SSC2018 R2 H19 Silly Milly
Meggles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:20am
(...I don’t know if that dude is serious.)

So anywaaaaay, I haven’t been able to be very active on the forums because my job basically blew up, but I’ve read so many great stories in the forums. There are obviously a lot of talented writers in this contest, and turning around a story under these time constraints is toooooouuuuuuugh. I am honored and lucky to have made it to the next round, and can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Having said that- if you didn’t make it to round 3, remember that writing is subjective and you never know what will or will not strike a chord with judges. If you go to Amazon and look up your most favorite book, you can check the reviews and find someone who hates it. If you check your least favorite book, you’ll find someone who loves it. That’s the thing about writing- you put something out there and have no control over how it’s received.

So. Awesome job for everyone who completed and submitted a story in any round of this contest. It’s the second time I’ve entered and the first time I didn’t even complete a story. (I got political satire and went NOPE.)
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Meggles Meggles wrote:

(...I don’t know if that dude is serious.)

Questioning my seriousness is a grave misjudgment. The money was my only motivation. But I have a new motivation now. Crushing each and every one of you, ad infintum.

4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
Meggles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:33am

I said something. Then I changed my mind. Aaaaaand you can’t delete posts, sooooo you’re welcome.

Edited by Meggles - 09 May 2018 at 3:44am
zeggybobleggy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zeggybobleggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:02am
AAAAAH. SERIOUS PANIC. 

So, I got through, major excitement. BUT I have a bit of a problem.

I thought if I'd got through I'd be writing the 24 hours before my wedding but I've just read another conversation saying we get prompts on the Friday to write on the Saturday. That's the day I get married. The actual day. Good Lord.

Can somebody whose brain isn't as frazzled as mine spell it out for me? I'm in the UK. When will I actually be writing this story?! 
R2, H2 - Don't go back.
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:05am
Originally posted by zeggybobleggy zeggybobleggy wrote:

AAAAAH. SERIOUS PANIC. 

So, I got through, major excitement. BUT I have a bit of a problem.

I thought if I'd got through I'd be writing the 24 hours before my wedding but I've just read another conversation saying we get prompts on the Friday to write on the Saturday. That's the day I get married. The actual day. Good Lord.

Can somebody whose brain isn't as frazzled as mine spell it out for me? I'm in the UK. When will I actually be writing this story?! 

Good Lord, this is a short story in its own right!  Congratulations on both counts!

In the UK you'll get the prompts at 5am Saturday morning and will need to submit by 5am Sunday morning.... so yeah, not ideal for you. Maybe get up at 5, blitz something first thing in the morning?! 

Either way, good luck!
R3 SSC Martha
R2 SSC A Deal's a Deal
R1 SSC Copy of
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Meggles Meggles wrote:

I said something. Then I changed my mind. Aaaaaand you can’t delete posts, sooooo you’re welcome.

Too late. I saw it.

4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic