NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by jojo11 jojo11 wrote:

Thanks, yes I agree, someone said they came 7th and 9th before, so I just wondered how they knew but as you say I can always imagine I didn't come 30/30! 
I had interesting feedback last year that made me wonder if all the judges had actually read the story but looking forward to getting some feedback this year.

In the Flash Fiction and Short Screenplay contests, the top 15 are ranked rather than the top 5 + HMs. It's a different system but it allows you to see where you fell, at least in the first half of the entries.
Short Story R1: Just the Same
Screenplay R1: The Hastings Cutoff
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:48pm
Pleased with my second place score! I absolutely hated my prompts (I'm sick to death of romance and felt 'stewardess' was really limiting), so I hit my head against them for days before finally forcing myself to write something. I managed to write something I didn't hate, and that was good enough for me- though it's nice the judges didn't hate it, either!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

An HM, which is almost more annoying than not placing at all (though let's face it, I'm never going to actually be happy until I win. Even if I turn in crap, I don't want to place badly.) OTOH if I had to add "write a short story" to my schedule this week I probably would LITERALLY cry. 

You did good.  The judges looked at your story, looked at your schedule for the weekend, and decided to have some mercy this time.  Heck, if not for your brimming calendar they would probably cancel the other three rounds and just declare you the overall winner!

Only if you dropped out! 
SSC2021 R1 Gr 56: Terra Nova
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:32pm

An HM, which is almost more annoying than not placing at all (though let's face it, I'm never going to actually be happy until I win. Even if I turn in crap, I don't want to place badly.) OTOH if I had to add "write a short story" to my schedule this week I probably would LITERALLY cry. 

You did good.  The judges looked at your story, looked at your schedule for the weekend, and decided to have some mercy this time.  Heck, if not for your brimming calendar they would probably cancel the other three rounds and just declare you the overall winner!

Only if you dropped out! 

Never (ever) been past round 2, in prose or screenplay...and in screenplay you (may) get two automatically...
This sig intentionally blank
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Get out of my head.

I'm the queen of washing out with a HM in the semi-finals, so I tots get the HM feels. The "it's good, but not good enough" feels is a stinking bastard. But personally, I really did enjoy your piece. 

Also, I will be crying with the schedule this week. I have 3 writing competitions this week to fit in... plus I'm hiring for 8 positions at work. So many stupid resumes to read. Not to mention that I am in charge of product dev & we have a new UI that I get to vet. And while I love my swd's the code I've reviewed so far is janky. 

It's the wild, wild west over here. Thank goodness I thrive on impossibilities....

My schedule this week was an afternoon back to back blood draw and NP visit at one clinic an hour away, this morning up at 6 to do chores before going back to the same city, different hospital to radiology, tomorrow I MAY just have to work or I may need to go for an INR draw a the local hospital, Friday up stupid early to go to the clinic in Indiana that does rapid-response Covid tests, Saturday work and get home, feed dogs, take them to the neighbors, and Sunday is get up at 4 to be at the airport for a 6:59am flight. If I had to cram in a story in there somewhere I am not sure I wouldn't crack up. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm

Get out of my head.

I'm the queen of washing out with a HM in the semi-finals, so I tots get the HM feels. The "it's good, but not good enough" feels is a stinking bastard. But personally, I really did enjoy your piece. 

Also, I will be crying with the schedule this week. I have 3 writing competitions this week to fit in... plus I'm hiring for 8 positions at work. So many stupid resumes to read. Not to mention that I am in charge of product dev & we have a new UI that I get to vet. And while I love my swd's the code I've reviewed so far is janky. 

It's the wild, wild west over here. Thank goodness I thrive on impossibilities....

My schedule this week was an afternoon back to back blood draw and NP visit at one clinic an hour away, this morning up at 6 to do chores before going back to the same city, different hospital to radiology, tomorrow I MAY just have to work or I may need to go for an INR draw a the local hospital, Friday up stupid early to go to the clinic in Indiana that does rapid-response Covid tests, Saturday work and get home, feed dogs, take them to the neighbors, and Sunday is get up at 4 to be at the airport for a 6:59am flight. If I had to cram in a story in there somewhere I am not sure I wouldn't crack up. 

This all sounds horribly like rat poison is involved, which doesn't sound recreational at all.  Hope everything goes well for you!
This sig intentionally blank
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:26pm

Get out of my head.

This all sounds horribly like rat poison is involved, which doesn't sound recreational at all.  Hope everything goes well for you!

On the nose. They're still tweaking how MUCH rat poison I'm supposed to get every day. Unfortunately because of the condition involved the more user-friendly anticoagulants don't work on as many pathways, so it's rat poison until they invent something.

On the plus side, being told the only foods you really should avoid as much as possible are kale, endive, spinach, and collard greens is far from the worst thing to hear. Also the pulmonologist called and the radiology reports said there are no further signs of clots in my lungs. So as soon as being radioactive wears off that's all good. (No cool powers, though. Being injected with radioactive isotopes is so much more boring outside the MCU.)

Edited by jennifer.quail - 07 Apr 2021 at 10:29pm
Gooche942 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gooche942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:40am
Congrats to all who have moved on. I did not move on myself, but I did like the judges review and comments. It made me feel a better about the story. And, I did agree with them on the piece. It is more of a much larger piece that I am feeling needs to be written. It was fun and I might be back for another round. :) 

Special congrats to AndrewJames and MFC2472!

Edited by Gooche942 - 08 Apr 2021 at 2:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic