NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are in!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Leezy Leezy wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Is there anywhere on the forum where we can read the winning stories for round 2?

Thanks and good luck to everyone moving into round 3!

Only if they're posted above, and if you can tell which ones were which.  Sometimes you can do that by name, sometimes people post their scores, sometimes they even post feedback.

There will be a feedback angst thread or two once the emails start arriving.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

There will be a feedback angst thread or two once the emails start arriving.

quoted for truth
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
FFC19 R1C1: G63 Cold Feet
FFC19 R1C2: G63 When Jenny Woke Up
brbwriting View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brbwriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by ophelialit74 ophelialit74 wrote:

Was pleasantly surprised with an 8 on the first round because I felt my story was super meh. Second story felt much stronger, my readers were all...huzzah, a masterpiece! Score? Zero. Whaaaaaat? Sigh. I've been trying to figure out if I somehow DQ'd myself or if the story just sucked out loud. 

One thing you will notice about the judging here is that judging seems to be very inconsistent, if you write something too good you can get stuck for it, they want middle of the road I think - seems to happen a lot.

Yikes, way to crap on people who got high scores. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by brbwriting brbwriting wrote:

Try not to take anything personally.  You will see universally loved pieces get zero and vice versa.  None of this is meant to impugn your work, or the validity of your score.  All anyone is saying is the judging can be uneven.  Sometimes it's downright bizarre.  Once in a while misogynistic,  less often misandristic, commonly confusing and contradictory, and generally misunderstood.

charleycheval View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote charleycheval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:41am

Try not to take anything personally.  You will see universally loved pieces get zero and vice versa.  None of this is meant to impugn your work, or the validity of your score.  All anyone is saying is the judging can be uneven.  Sometimes it's downright bizarre.  Once in a while misogynistic,  less often misandristic, commonly confusing and contradictory, and generally misunderstood.

This should be in the disclaimer when we sign up LOL
MarcyL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:50am
[ Once in a while misogynistic,  less often misandristic, commonly confusing and contradictory, and generally misunderstood.

[/QUOTE]

I understand confusing, contradictory and misunderstood. But in what way misogynistic or misandristic (great word by the way, never heard it before!!!)  Given that the judging is totally blind?
Just curious.
Confused
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by MarcyL MarcyL wrote:

[ Once in a while misogynistic,  less often misandristic, commonly confusing and contradictory, and generally misunderstood.

I understand confusing, contradictory and misunderstood. But in what way misogynistic or misandristic (great word by the way, never heard it before!!!)  Given that the judging is totally blind?
Just curious.
Confused
[/QUOTE]

It has been against male and female characters, not the authors.
Short Screen R1G1 Once Upon a Farm
Micro Fiction R1G8 Expanding Vocabularies
brbwriting View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote brbwriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:24am

There's a difference between saying "judging can be inconsistent" and saying "judges actively reward average stories and punish the ones that are 'too good.'"

I totally understand the disappointment of scoring lower than hoped for, but it's possible to validate those feelings without blatantly diminishing the people who scored well. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:46am

There's a difference between saying "judging can be inconsistent" and saying "judges actively reward average stories and punish the ones that are 'too good.'"

I totally understand the disappointment of scoring lower than hoped for, but it's possible to validate those feelings without blatantly diminishing the people who scored well. 

On of the problems with forums, and textual communications in general, is the writer and reader rarely agree on meaning.  This is endemic in email.  You read one thing, the writer may well have meant something else.

So...all I can suggest is to let it go.  You will rarely complete a journey if you pause to throw rocks at every dog who barks along the way.
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:15pm
I was gutted with my 2 and dreading my feedback. And then my feedback arrived and it was really positive. So now I'm just confused, and sad I didn't make it through if my story was as strong as the feedback suggests.
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic