NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are in!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

I was gutted with my 2 and dreading my feedback. And then my feedback arrived and it was really positive. So now I'm just confused, and sad I didn't make it through if my story was as strong as the feedback suggests.

I had this conversation in reverse today--if I had read my feedback first I would have thought I would have scored much lower than I did.

Someone mentioned that they had noticed a trend in feedback over the years that her lower scoring pieces generally had more positive feedback and the higher the score, the more harsh--even nitpicky--the critique. 
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

I was gutted with my 2 and dreading my feedback. And then my feedback arrived and it was really positive. So now I'm just confused, and sad I didn't make it through if my story was as strong as the feedback suggests.

I had this conversation in reverse today--if I had read my feedback first I would have thought I would have scored much lower than I did.

Someone mentioned that they had noticed a trend in feedback over the years that her lower scoring pieces generally had more positive feedback and the higher the score, the more harsh--even nitpicky--the critique. 

If that's the case, it seems unhelpful! 
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
brbwriting View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote brbwriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by brbwriting brbwriting wrote:

There's a difference between saying "judging can be inconsistent" and saying "judges actively reward average stories and punish the ones that are 'too good.'"

I totally understand the disappointment of scoring lower than hoped for, but it's possible to validate those feelings without blatantly diminishing the people who scored well. 

On of the problems with forums, and textual communications in general, is the writer and reader rarely agree on meaning.  This is endemic in email.  You read one thing, the writer may well have meant something else.

So...all I can suggest is to let it go.  You will rarely complete a journey if you pause to throw rocks at every dog who barks along the way.

Okay. I'm not going to carry this on any further, because my original comment wasn't even meant for you in the first place, but a few things:

1. I know how to read.
2. Calling out offensive comments isn't equivalent to "throwing rocks at dogs" (wtf).
3. On the issue of meaning, intent, and interpretation: do you intend for your messages to come across as condescending and patronizing? Because they sure do, regardless of whether you mean it or not. And I'd appreciate if you stopped. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by brbwriting brbwriting wrote:

Yikes, way to crap on people who got high scores. 

Try not to take anything personally.  You will see universally loved pieces get zero and vice versa.  None of this is meant to impugn your work, or the validity of your score.  All anyone is saying is the judging can be uneven.  Sometimes it's downright bizarre.  Once in a while misogynistic,  less often misandristic, commonly confusing and contradictory, and generally misunderstood.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly if I knew what most of these words meant - I refuse to start looking up anything Random writes as he does this to me too often.
SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
https://bit.ly/32r9dq9 MF A Knock at the Door
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic