NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are in!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
While I try to follow the prompt, I also try to push the envelope, and I enjoy the contest part of this. 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

And sometimes we get frustrated and get vocal, which is understandable. 

The gods of the judging council are sometimes inscrutable. But--it's all we have to go by. 

We can sometimes forget they're as human as we are. 

Everyone can give everyone else some grace, and we can just go on to the next thing.  

SSP2018 C1 G39 | Fallen Angel
FFC2018 C2 G49 | Temeni Sunrise
Sponsored Links

JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by roccapia roccapia wrote:

I wonder if it would help for me to write the screenplay in short story form first. Anyone done that?

I had fun, so I'll probably be back for the next screenplay competition to see what kind of abuse the judges can throw my way :P

Hey roccapia!
I'm inspired by your great attitude about getting some difficult feedback! Hope you come back again for a script challenge!

I've never tried writing a script out in prose, so I'm not directly answering your question and so this may not be helpful to you. I figured I'd share what works best for me:

What I personally find to be key to writing screenplays is to outline all of the beats first before writing a single line of dialogue or action. I love the Save The Cat! beat sheet and it works super well for me - it's not for everyone, there are a lot of haters out there! I bought the app so I can plug in my page count and it tells you where all your beats should land which is super handy (worked great for the 5 page screenplay in the final round last year!)  I've found that when I tightly structure all of the beats lined up to the page number and I feel like the story arc feels right before I start writing a single word, that's when I write the strongest scripts. 

You all might groan at my quoting Robert McKee, but I do love this one:
"All writing is discipline, but screenwriting is a drill sergeant.’

Although, easier said than done, as with anything related to writing. In this second round I was not disciplined and wrote out several scenes as I was outlining and I ended up overwriting the entire script and frantically cutting it in the final minutes - I didn't follow my own method this time, so I won't be surprised if I don't make it through.

Congrats for writing your first screenplay! Hope to see you back here soon!! Smile
Juli
SC18 R2 The Line
R1: The Mask 1st
SC17 R3
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by MackRellenst MackRellenst wrote:

Can someone explain to me how the judging of our "Three" subjects works?

My issue with it is that when they said "think outside the box" how much we were allowed to stretch this because personally after seeing the winning scripts I only read the one which was in the forums to read / review .

Mack, this is just my opinion from going through three comps now, but I feel first they cull out the entries that aren't meeting basic requirements (like page count and screenplay formatting). Then they are looking at quality and the prompts. In Short Story I somehow got an HM even though my prompts were not as strictly adhered to as other entrants. I assume that was because they felt I wrote a good story even though I didn't strongly hit the prompts? 

As Scarlet Screenwriter is aware, he advanced in at least one comp while totally omitting a prompt! From that I'd assume his entry was better in quality, standards and formatting than his other entrants for them to overlook that. 

And you're looking at only two entries (yours and wateringcan's) posted in the forums. Five above both of you placed and we won't ever know what they were like (but presumably must have been superior in either hitting in the prompts or meeting screenwriting conventions). In looking at the synopses of the screenplays that placed, they strongly hit the cheesemaker prompt (cheesemaking seemed to be an actual part of their story rather than just dropped in) and/or the misdiagnosis prompt (the ones mentioning a misdiagnosis were purely medical). I'm pretty new to the game but it seems the judges reward quality/screencraft, followed by explicit and very integrated use of the prompts. Just my opinion!

Edited to add: And like others said, hitting the prompts can be "outside the box" and creative. I think the full integration of the three prompts (and meeting writing conventions/the comp's basic requirements) is the key.

Edited by thesaura73 - 18 Jun 2018 at 11:46pm
2018 FFC Ch1, Ch2, Ch3
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:58am
Originally posted by MackRellenst MackRellenst wrote:

Can someone explain to me how the judging of our "Three" subjects works?

My issue with it is that when they said "think outside the box" how much we were allowed to stretch this because personally after seeing the winning scripts I only read the one which was in the forums to read / review .

In R1 my prompt character was 'A Matchmaker'. I interpreted that as someone who actually makes matches (matchsticks) and built everything around that, setting it in Victorian England at a matchstick factory/child labour camp). So I was happy to see this:

WHAT THE JUDGES LIKED ABOUT YOUR SCREENPLAY - {1813}  I love that this is a period piece. It is extremely imaginative. Also, great way of using the match-maker prompt. 

So my advice from now on is go lateral. It'll help your writing stand out.

That being said I have gone full vanilla with my interpretations this time out Big smile

Edited by Tim G - 19 Jun 2018 at 5:00am
CH1 Short Screenplay: What Never Will Be (Romcom)
CH2 Flash Fiction: Salami and Swiss (Drama)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic