NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are In

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigpen_NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

It's all subjective.  Over the years I've loved scripts that don't score and hated ones that score well. In the flash fiction challenge I finished 4th overall one year, and crashed out after two heats the following year.  

The best approach is just to enjoy writing something to the prompts and let all the rest worry about itself.

That's the best advice.  I enter this contest to hopefully invigorate my desire to write.  Never really works, but the contests are fun to do.

My first year (2014-15) I made the finals but didn't place.  The following year I received two goose eggs.  Last year I didn't enter b/c the dates didn't work well with my schedule, and I had two 10-month olds to deal with.  I love being back in the thick of things and getting feedback from all of you.  It's really a great supportive community that's developed here.
Sponsored Links

sarahalcott View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahalcott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 11:04am
Hi Everyone, 

I wanted to say that all of these comments are very helpful to me, a complete newcomer to screenplay writing. I am learning a LOT from all of you, so thank you. 
Also, am I correct in thinking that I'll receive feedback from judges at some point? I look forward to that too. Good luck to everyone! 

Sarah
JLByard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLByard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 11:24am
I really didn't like my script but I ended up with an 8 and I couldn't be more thrilled! I don't know how some of you didn't place because your scripts were way better than mine.  

Pigpen_NYC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigpen_NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:10pm
Judges' feedback is rolling in.  I posted mine, if anybody cares to see.  Just click on my signature, Page 5 of the responses.
Lalafulton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalafulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
Looks like one of the judges, {1610}, really cares about Loglines. I think that's in line with what some of you were saying on another thread. I got docked for mine because I've never put any real thought into them beyond a one sentence sum up. 

Good to know what they care about though!!!
CH 1 | Group 28 | Fantasy | Heroics
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:53pm
I started another thread for us to share some high-level observations, rules of thumb if you will. Please feel free to add!
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:59pm
I'm not sure what to think; it seems very subjective, and I had thought my logline was bad, yet did not get any dings for it? It seems like one judge liked what I did way more than the other judges did, so I wonder how that played into it?
I think I do need other users' feedback to get some perspective and will post my Round 2 when it's done.

JonWriterPhilly View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonWriterPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by thesaura73 thesaura73 wrote:

I'm not sure what to think; it seems very subjective, and I had thought my logline was bad, yet did not get any dings for it? It seems like one judge liked what I did way more than the other judges did, so I wonder how that played into it?
I think I do need other users' feedback to get some perspective and will post my Round 2 when it's done.

Go check out the thread in the post about the feedback...

Edited by JonWriterPhilly - 08 Dec 2017 at 6:01pm
2017 Ch. 1 Gr. 25 The Lure
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:51pm
I got a six, which I think is fair (thriller that was not so thrilling), and I got both fair and insightful feedback. The flaws I see in my script the judges pointed out; the work I did to make the script what it was got plaudits from all the judges. 

My script wasn't good enough to place high, but I did get some points, so I'm good

As far as the randomness of judges -- I got a zero for a story I thought was challenging (transgender at a county beauty pageant), and a 1 for a comedy about a man and his wife at a supermall which I thought was hilarious but the judges thought was barely worth awarding any points. 

And one story from the Short Story competition is being considered for a magazine. So go figure. 

Honestly, all you can do is your best, and keep your fingers and eyes crossed. 

Good luck in this round!
SSPC R2 G3 | Our Lady of the Phoenix
SSPC R1 G3 | The Winds of Change
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic