NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results are In

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:16am
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Hey, 13 points for my Ghost Story!

I had every confidence you'd score high -- your script was too good not to. Congratulations! Now then... why have you completely snubbed me and not read and commented on my Challenge 1 entry? What have I done to fall out of your favor? (It's kind of late now, but I'm still curious to know what you think... your feedback always means a lot to me.)

Ooops...not sure what happened above.  

To be honest, it was a crazy decision to enter this year...as the first 3 heats all fell on weekends when I had/have something on (the 3rd round is the weekend of my 50th birthday) so time wasn't/isn't on my side.  Plus I only ever make the final in even numbered years ;)

I hear what you're saying - if I get a chance to enter I will, but won't beat myself up if I don't.  Yes, 15 points can be enough in some rare circumstances...but being realistic it's highly unlikely.  I suspect if I like the prompts I'll try and do something...
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist | SSC 2014 + 2016 Finalist
Sponsored Links

DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:17am
I think I'll give up trying to use the quote function ;)
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:30am

Still, I really liked your script and thought it would place... and I'm left bewildered wondering why it didn't. 

It was clearly a script that "offended" some, so potentially I've fallen foul of a judge(s) equally easily offended.  It happened the very first time I ever entered this comp in 2010 (that time Nazis and Jews was the controversial topic) - so it happens.  I'm still pleased what I pulled together in an hour or so and I still vehemently disagree it was offensive to Islam, but if that's where it fell down, so be it.  It's far from being my best work anyway.

Edited by DBA Lehane - 07 Dec 2017 at 5:32am
Pigpen_NYC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pigpen_NYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:34am
Congrats to everyone, high score or otherwise! It's not easy pumping sonething out in the allotted time.

I'm a little dismayed and surprised by some of the reported low scores, but that happens every year. Anything can happen in Round 2. The talent is there.

13 points for me this round! Two years ago (my second year in the contest) I got two big fat zeroes, so I am very excited and nervous about this weekend.

Good luck to all!

Edited by Pigpen_NYC - 07 Dec 2017 at 6:30am
bksamples View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bksamples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:08am
Thank goodness I can finally breathe! I was pretty certain that Romantic Comedy would be the death of me...so I'm quite happy with a score of 14!

Great job to everyone, and thanks for all the helpful feedback! Looking forward to the sleepless weekend ahead...
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Jut the five for me. I’ve done much better in the past with screenplays I liked a lot less... so am a little deflated.

Really glad though to see how well so many of you have done.

Am taking myself to a airport to write my next one hammered.

Now THIS is a surprise. Not the airport part, the results. I mean, you're still 11th out of 30, but woah. I really liked your piece. Them twists. Your group must be strong.

Thanks again for the beta'ing, by the way.
SSC C1 Nary a thought... (15pts)
SSC C2 May Contain Attraction [soon...]
FFC C3 In the Long Whiteness
callmedeb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmedeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:40am
A respectable 7

I'm telling myself that it speaks to the high caliber of talent in my group ;)

I made it to the third challenge last year with a 7 in one of the rounds, so NO GIVING UP.

Deb

Edited by callmedeb - 07 Dec 2017 at 7:41am
SS - CH1G20 - The Problem with Pixies
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:52am
I'm pretty pleased with a 6, considering there were typos and a wrong name. XD Not my best showing, but enough to tempt me to focus this weekend.
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

FFC - R3 / SScC - R1
sarahalcott View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sarahalcott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:58am
Question here from a newbie. Will the judges still give me feedback despite that I got a zero for a score?
Congrats to all writers who earned scores...and to those who didn't. I was going to write, "I think I'll stick to poetry as my genre" since that is what I've written all my life, but no, this challenge was fun and exciting for me (even if the judges didn't see the potential that I saw in what I wrote). This process is teaching me about how to write a screenplay! I'm excited to have another chance and good luck to all. 

Also, a second question.....I only commented on a few screenplays simply because I had technical issues and had to have the people at NYC Midnight change my password/help me with simply getting into the forum. So I entered the forum very late and uploaded my screenplay. I would really like to read more Round 1 screenplays. Is it ok to keep doing that and sharing feedback?
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:59am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

Still, I really liked your script and thought it would place... and I'm left bewildered wondering why it didn't. 

It was clearly a script that "offended" some, so potentially I've fallen foul of a judge(s) equally easily offended.  It happened the very first time I ever entered this comp in 2010 (that time Nazis and Jews was the controversial topic) - so it happens.  I'm still pleased what I pulled together in an hour or so and I still vehemently disagree it was offensive to Islam, but if that's where it fell down, so be it.  It's far from being my best work anyway.

I feel like this must have been it - I'm thoroughly shocked you didn't get any points, and curious to see what their feedback is on it. 

I'm super disappointed in my 0 too - even though it had a few issues, I received pretty good feedback here, which mistakenly gave me hopes for a decent (or ANY) score. Meh. 
ShrtScrnply CH1 Number 12 Horror
FFC CH2 Roses are Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic