NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results Are In !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

15 points for a story researched and written inside 2 hours, and submitted by the Saturday lunchtime. Pretty happy with that.

Yeah, that's what  I did, DHL, but I only got a 9 ... you're a better man than I, Gunga Din ...

Sponsored Links

DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Alexis_H Alexis_H wrote:

I am definitely in the "not knowing all" category also, but I do know what I liked to read. The judges scores cannot reflect that so they too are in the same category as I.

Peer review doesn't comment on the same aspects that judges do. We allow our fellow competitors more leeway on criteria and tend to comment on the content first then throw in some contest related critiques (in general, not always) and I've tended to find these the most constructive.

What you like and how stories are scored are 2 entirely different beasts. But as I said, the judges are the only ones who see all. So all you can really say is it's a shame stories you personally like got low scores, but to suggest the judges got it wrong on scoring when you haven't read all the submissions a story you like is up against is a tad unfair on the judges, and, potentially, the higher scoring writers you've not read.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist | SSC 2014 + 2016 Finalist
Liz M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:29am
I agree Alexis. Some of the stories that got a 15 hit the use of prompts very well but were just not as well written as the lower scorers in some categories.

The judges are just people as well. They will pick favourite stories because it's impossible to be objective when judging creative writing. I've worked for literary journals as a selector and every judge has personal bias. You can judge grammar, use of prompts, logical progression etc but whether you like something plays a part.

Writing for a competition is strange. And the scores don't reflect 'good writing' as such, more what a judge on a given day liked the best.

No one should be discouraged with a zero. There are some brilliant stories here that scored nothing and some mediocre ones that scored well.

Good luck for round 2, everyone!
Laura View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:12am
I got 13. Maybe I should post my story now since perhaps it's not as god awful as previously imagined.

Problem now is do I study for my exams this weekend or write a story...

Guess I'm failing my exams!
number13 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote number13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 5:01am
A big fat zero for me. Pretty disappointing and discouraging, but I'll try to keep my head up.
ShroudedWolf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShroudedWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 5:06am
I managed an 11! For having a story that was more of a first chapter, I'm stoked!
CH2:G58 "Runway" Horror

2016 FFC Rd 2 Honorable Mention
BenFJackson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenFJackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:13am
14 for group 73-super stoked from that and looking forward to this weekend!
SheriLS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheriLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:22am
I got 8 (group 24)!! This is my first time doing this challenge, first time writing a ghost story. I'm thrilled!!! Congrats everyone!
Sem17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sem17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:51am
I scored a 6 and I'm so happy with that! I haven't had a story in a competition ever - though i've been writing that long.  i'm encouraged to think that a 57 i'm finally feeling my roots.  thank you nyc midnght!Smile
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 7:25am
Bit fat (although expected) 0 for me. I knew it was coming, although I secretly hoped there were 16 people who made more mistakes than I did. Apparently not, haha.
ShrtScrnply CH1 Number 12 Horror
FFC CH2 Roses are Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
  Share Topic