NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Registration Concerns: DOB + Gender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Registration Concerns: DOB + Gender
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:54am
Hey there,

Nixie posted here (https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ffc-registration-new-requirements_topic21182.html) about our concerns regarding the new questions on the registration form.

I won't repeat her details as you can read them on her post, but we'd appreciate it if you could answer the question.

I for one am extremely reluctant to give my actual DOB (just asking me if I'm 18 or older is sufficient), and it is no business of anyone what gender I identify with.

Sponsored Links

NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:36pm
We did switch recently from Eventbrite to a new secure online form, but just so you know, we have always asked for the DOB and gender in our registration forms as far back as 2010.  These fields have always been required as well.  We use the DOB to determine if the participant is 18 years of age or older as well as for demographic purposes which is also why we ask for gender.  We only use these numbers to update our sponsorship package, which goes over basic demographic information of our participants such as percentages in what age groups (<18, 18-29, 30-39, etc.) and gender (M, F, etc.).  We would never share the participant's individual information with anyone, with the exception of distributing the winning participants' emails and/or mailing address if required for the sponsors to deliver the prizes.  

The registration data is stored on the platforms themselves (Eventbrite and Cognito Forms) and you can read more about the security of each below:

Also, we have always used PayPal or Stripe as our payment processor, so we don't have access or ability to store the credit card numbers of participants.  Hopefully this clears things up, but please let us know if you still have any questions or issues with the registration form and we can look into it further.  Thank you!
Next up is the Screenwriting Challenge 2019 kicking off April 12th.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic