NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ratings, Points, Rankings - what are these things?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ratings, Points, Rankings - what are these things?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ratings, Points, Rankings - what are these things?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 6:42pm
I posted this question pasted below with the answer from the moderator of the current screenwriting challenge (spring2021) and got a very nice and helpful answer.  However, it prompted more questions as the moderator responded about points and I had asked about ratings. Maybe they're the same thing?  

I've searched around the places I thought I'd find answers, including on this Q+A channel before I posted the questions on my current challenge.  I haven't been able to find a tutorial explaining the features and structure of the forum.  For example, I hadn't noted the Thanks button and so failed to thank people. Now I know better based on the response I've gotten and I repaired my lapse in gratitudes.

Can anyone point to a tutorial on the features of this forum? The only info I found discussed RANKINGS, but nothing is labeled as a ranking?   So maybe Rankings are Ratings and Ratings are Points?  
...Maybe I've confused myself.  

ORIGINAL POSTED QUESTION AND RESPONSE:
Originally posted by lizzie lizzie wrote:

Hello,
So I've searched around as best I can but can't find any explanation of the Ratings column? I found an explanation of Ranking yet am not even sure what that is but I suspect it's the titles of Black Belt and Newbie and such?

Could you do a pinned post at the top explaining Ratings as well as how Views are calculated?  They don't seem to be based on someone clicking on your script and commenting as I have for example 51 views but only two others commenting.

I'm curious the best method to increase the chances your script will be read and commented on (besides reading and commenting on others which I know is ideal)  Are frequent challenge participants typically reading and commenting on each other?

Much thanks for any answers you can give or place to point me for a tutorial on the structure of this forum.
-Lizzie

Hi Lizzie,

Just an FYI, inquiries such as this one are best posted in the General Discussion area under Questions and Answers mainly because the most people will see it there and respond. I'm probably the only one who is going to see this here because this thread is just for requests to get on the Master List.

Personally I don't know much about the points system except that I believe you get 1 point every time you post something, like a reply to someone's story, and you get 5 points when someone thanks you for your post. The Thanks button is near the Edit and Quote buttons on each post. I don't think they really mean anything, you can just tell how active someone is on the forum depending on how many points they've racked up. 

You can see how many views your post has in the Sub Forum. You'll have to scroll to find your post. I don't believe number of views has any effect on the points, however. And remember every time you visit your post also counts as a view. 

Reading and leaving feedback is definitely the best way to encourage others to visit your story, and I see you have your story linked in your signature which is also highly recommended as it allows others to respond right from the reply you leave them. 

I hope this answered some of your questions! I don't think there's any kind of hidden structure or trick to the forum, but I might suggest you post your question in the general area and perhaps others might have some additional insight. 

Thanks!
Cat
R1 Group 23 AT THE TIPITINA POINT
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 11:56pm
Hola, Lizzie! Not sure if there's a tutorial for the scorings, so if anyone can link that, that'd actually be pretty cool!

But from my POV, I think that the titles just correspond with number of points you have -- and like how Cat said, you get a point every time you post something, comment on another post, when someone thanks you, etc.

Really all these titles represent is how often you post something on these forums, pretty much! So you have 23 points, and that corresponds with "NYC Midnight Newbie." You also just joined on March 31, so this makes sense. The more you post, read, and comment, the higher that score will go up, and therefore you'll get more stars or a more "dignified" title. In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't really matter; being a Newbie or a "Black Belt" won't make your story perform better or worse when it comes to judging. In fact, most folks who participate aren't even on these forums.

I think I'm an NYC Midnight Addict now? Which is about right, because these guys have roped me into the 100-word Microfiction, Flash Fiction, Short Screenplay, Screenwriting, and Short Story Challenges, LOL. With me still being 'alive' in the Screenwriting & Short Story ones currently. These contests have been a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I would've kept participating if it weren't for these forums.

Hope this helps a little bit!
-EJ
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
lizzie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:10am
Thanks EJ!
(Ponds and Frogs - British and French?)

That's very helpful.  Where this all started for me was really the Ratings column which I did not think was connected to Points but maybe it is. 

Really what I was trying to understand was, am I supposed to be clicking some kind of Rating for each story I read. (For example I hadn't realized there is a 'thanks' button).  I thought, maybe I am failing some etiquette of the forum if I read, reply but don't Rate?  But based on the two responses to my question so far, the conversation is about Points. So maybe Points that are accumulated for activity on the forum define the Rating column?

Since we can sort the forum posts based on Ratings, Replies and Views, I was a little bit hoping that the Rating column did indicate some kind of collective Rating by the forum of the stories.  If that were true, it could help me focus on reading the stories that were deemed most well done. But I think there is no story Rating function that I'm failing to see or execute?  So Points and Ratings are for activity and interaction and not for how well the community regards your story (In that scenario, someone might have only 25 points for reads and replies but 5 out of 5 stars from anyone who read them, while another person might have 500 points for reads and replies and a 3 out of 5 stars average for everyone who read them.)

All in all, it's good.  I hadn't been seeking a way to increase points for myself. More so with limited time I wanted to focus on reading the stories that were most liked versus those that were most read.  

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question!
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:54am
Originally posted by lizzie lizzie wrote:

Thanks EJ!
(Ponds and Frogs - British and French?)

That's very helpful.  Where this all started for me was really the Ratings column which I did not think was connected to Points but maybe it is. 

Really what I was trying to understand was, am I supposed to be clicking some kind of Rating for each story I read. (For example I hadn't realized there is a 'thanks' button).  I thought, maybe I am failing some etiquette of the forum if I read, reply but don't Rate?  But based on the two responses to my question so far, the conversation is about Points. So maybe Points that are accumulated for activity on the forum define the Rating column?

Since we can sort the forum posts based on Ratings, Replies and Views, I was a little bit hoping that the Rating column did indicate some kind of collective Rating by the forum of the stories.  If that were true, it could help me focus on reading the stories that were deemed most well done. But I think there is no story Rating function that I'm failing to see or execute? 

Ohhhh, I see! You can actually rate posts if you want (top right of bar of comment box; "rate topic," "topic search," "topic options."). Though I don't think most people rate stories/posts (might be too discouraging, whereas we're trying to uplift and be constructive?), from what I've seen here. If anything, folks would give 5 stars to the master lists, but that's about it. Or maybe folks actually rate stories, and I just haven't caught on yet.

Also: just saw you comment on my script -- muchas gracias! I'll be over to yours in a little bit :)
-EJ
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:04am
Hi Lizzie,

It's Cat again. Like EJ I just realized you're referring to that obscure "Rating" column and option. I don't really know what this is for but agree that the forum isn't really a place where stories are deemed good or bad, but a place where writers can support each other and give and receive feedback. Smile
lizzie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:35am
[QUOTE=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TxYzrPpvm8cfZygymlsJGEM6rRoxk78p/view?usp=sharing]

Hmmm, I see that Rate topic now. Since Topic is the header for our posts I wonder if that is meant to Rate the discussion in the posts.  

I agree with Cat who also replied to this that the Forum is meant as a place of encouragement.  I wonder what the nature of the Ratings column is meant for?   Mostly I see very encouraging commentary but I would love some function that helps indicate a "recommended to read"  so that I could have some criteria for choosing among the many many entries that are available to consider.

I'm going to rate the topic we've been discussing hoping it will rise and others will weigh in with their knowledge and experience.

Thanks to you and Cat for responding!
lizzie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 10:42am
SORRY THAT LAST POST OF MINE COPY AND PASTED THE WRONG QUOTE - I MEANT TO PAST THE PREVIOUS REPLY FROM EJ]
 Post Reply Post Reply