NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R3 2023 Short Story Title and Synopsis thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R3 2023 Short Story Title and Synopsis thread
    Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 12:18am
Hey team! I'll kick us off this time

Feel free to throw your title/synopsis in here and I'm looking forward to reading your stories in the forum Star
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 12:22am
This is the furthest I've ever made it into short story! I was a little surprised to be honest, as I've been having a lot of trouble focusing on writing lately. But also delighted! Looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with Smile

Group: 5
Genre: Rom com
Subject: Surefire
Character: A greenhorn

You Never Forget Your Faust

A rookie demon working as a Dealmaker struggles to close her first Faustian bargain, when she finds a mortal who would sell his soul for love. The deal tests her ethics, but she’s already been fired from every other job in hell; losing this one could spell eternal damnation.

jayscottink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jayscottink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 12:52am
Group 9: Romance / shipping out / a next-door neighbor

Two Thousand Teal Kisses

After waiting five long years for Regeneris Labs to finish his Living Simulacrum, Em is finally reunited with the love of her life. But the nature of his regenerated existence makes picking things up where they left off harder than she expected.
500 Final - Like a Sailor's Lady-Love (Sci-Fi)
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:18am
Hello! Thanks for starting this thread, groupmate :)

Group 5: romantic comedy / surefire / a greenhorn

Awa and the Greenhorn Dragon

Awa is on her first dragon hunt, and she has only one goal: kill the dragon herself and begin her path to becoming the village’s greatest dragon-slayer. But her surefire plan forces her to choose between her village’s approval and the unlikely friendship of the village outcast, a strange girl named Hana.
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

This is the furthest I've ever made it into short story! I was a little surprised to be honest, as I've been having a lot of trouble focusing on writing lately. But also delighted! Looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with Smile

Group: 5
Genre: Rom com
Subject: Surefire
Character: A greenhorn

You Never Forget Your Faust

A rookie demon working as a Dealmaker struggles to close her first Faustian bargain, when she finds a mortal who would sell his soul for love. The deal tests her ethics, but she’s already been fired from every other job in hell; losing this one could spell eternal damnation.

Omg this sounds fantastic.  Huge congrats and I can't wait to read!! ❤
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:37am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Hello! Thanks for starting this thread, groupmate :)

Group 5: romantic comedy / surefire / a greenhorn

Awa and the Greenhorn Dragon

Awa is on her first dragon hunt, and she has only one goal: kill the dragon herself and begin her path to becoming the village’s greatest dragon-slayer. But her surefire plan forces her to choose between her village’s approval and the unlikely friendship of the village outcast, a strange girl named Hana.

Omg I'm so keen for this! 
darquematter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darquematter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:57am
Group 2
Sci-fi
A Caregiver
Greathearted

Pretty excited to have made it to round 3 for the first time.  Best of luck to all of you! 

Blobinho

I never thought a quivering blob of alien jelly would teach me how to forgive myself. 

And yet, here we are.

Edited by darquematter - 05 Jun 2023 at 1:58am
Silverlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:06am
Originally posted by darquematter darquematter wrote:

I never thought a quivering blob of alien jelly would teach me how to forgive myself. 

And yet, here we are.

I like this non-standard synopsis.  I think it’s the only one I’ve seen written in the first person.

Edited by Silverlock - 05 Jun 2023 at 2:07am
"The third is the maker's drink, no bottom limit to quality guaranteed, and no top specified."
-- Silverlock by John Myers Myers
MuchlyGen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MuchlyGen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:39am
Group 6: Ghost story / nightlife / a decorator

Dollface

When Tara reluctantly agrees to take on a renovation project, she’s determined that it will be her last. Little does she know how true that will prove to be.

I hate writing the synopsis, I always forget it and rush it at the last second. 😂 

Some of these sound so great!
SS R1 G13 - Best Life - 1st

SS R2 G13 - Gray - 1st

SS R3 G6 - Dollface
Craigo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 3:17am
This is my first year in the competition and I have very much enjoyed it so far. Will definitely be back next year, regardless of the outcome for this round. Has been great fun!

Group 5
Romantic Comedy / Surefire / A greenhorn

TITLE: Dandy’s Dander

BRIEF SYNOPSIS:

True love is thrown into turmoil as a rookie veterinarian suddenly develops a dog allergy on her first day as a qualified vet.

Edited by Craigo - 05 Jun 2023 at 4:02am
Everything has a story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>