NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R2 G22 Invitation (Horror)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bozwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R2 G22 Invitation (Horror)
    Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:59pm

Angie's chair met resistance. She tried to force it, but it wouldn’t budge. Standing in the space between her chair and desk, she slid her leg sideways and freed herself. She bent down, dislodging a shoe. “Damnit, Izzie!” She surveyed the room. Izzie hadn’t done a damned thing since they’d argued about her mess.

Angie pulled out a garbage bag and started tossing things; two coffee cups, two soda bottles, a muffin wrapper. She bent down to retrieve a pizza box from under Izzie’s bed, and something caught her attention.

“You’re invited!” the small card announced. “An experience to die for.” No address or time. An odd spiral of red ink spun out from the center. An invitation without specifics was useless. Angie shoved it in the bag.

Where was Izzie? Had Angie seen her since their fight? 

An envelope lay by the door. She hadn’t heard anyone with her music on. Angie picked it up. It bore her name.

Sliding her finger under the flap she felt a sting. The invitation was identical to Izzie’s but pure white. As she turned it over to look for information, the puncture on her finger bled spiraling as it spread. When the blood trail ceased, the room plunged into darkness. Sudden silence made her ears ring. The door creaked as it swung open and something grabbed her from behind. She couldn’t breathe. She lost consciousness, the invitation falling from her hand.

The words echoed in her head: An experience to die for.

Bren Gunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bren Gunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 7:32pm
Hello fellow groupie.
Be careful of invitations is the takeaway  ... I like the pricking of the finger when your MC opened her invite, no way of avoiding that. You did a good job building the creepy atmosphere with the scary twist.
Well done and best of luck with the judges.
Kristof View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 12:56am
Thank you for sharing your story. I thought you used the prompts so well. The shared fate of Izzie and Angie was really interestingly presented I thought. I had a sense of the pain of separation and loss that was waiting to be raised by Angie only it is subsumed by the reality of the horror she encounters.
snuffles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:15pm
I like this story. I got the idea that they were cannibals for some reason. 
MuffinMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuffinMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 3:32pm
Hello Heatmate! Horror is most definitely not my favorite genre to write, but I enjoyed reading your story greatly.

I like the whole concept of the invitation to "an experience to die for." We have a ton of questions. Who is inviting them? For what purpose? To me, it's fine that we don't know; sometimes our imagination is more creepy than reality. I think you nailed the ending with the last line.

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply