NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R2 250 challenge results tomorrow!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R2 250 challenge results tomorrow!
    Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:42pm
Here we are! Well, almost. So I thought I'd start a thread to pass the time. 

So, on a scale of "I'm-a-shoo-in" to "No effin' way," how's everyone feeling? 

slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:44pm
I'll start:

I like my story. Far more than my round one story. But as far as advancing goes, my gut is telling me, "No. Not this time." For the following reasons:

1) Only the top 5 out of groups of 50 will advance. There are a lot of good stories on the forums. And who knows what else is *out there* that didn't post. Either way, the numbers are just plain tough.

2) Of all NYCM competitions, 250-word is the hardest for me. I tend to condense what should be flash when I probably should expand what might be 100-word micro. Or not. As I said, writing a solid 250-worder is a mystery to me. 

3) I've been knocked out on horror twice. I'd like to believe 3rd time is a charm, but I don't believe in luck, so that's out. 

But if I don't make it through, I'm happy to beta-read for finalists! 

Edited by slinkylink - 28 Feb 2023 at 3:48pm
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:59pm
I am not feeling confident - I like my story but I have not advance any time I am given comedy or add comedy to my genre - I guess I am only funny to myself LOL

I find this length to be the hardest as well - I really enjoy MF100 and Flash but I agree that 250 either feels like not enough or too much - this time I think I did not enough.

I am hoping to squeeze through but won't be too disappointed if I don't 
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:15pm
Tomorrow! Ack! I am looking forward to these results, though I have no real sense of how I might do. I am happy with what I submitted, but it's impossible to guess how judges will respond or to know what we're up against when so few post on the forums. 

I'd love to get through, but if I don't, I have several other writing projects to work on this weekend. So I guess I win either way! ;) 
McAllister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote McAllister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

I'll start:

I like my story. Far more than my round one story. But as far as advancing goes, my gut is telling me, "No. Not this time." For the following reasons:

1) Only the top 5 out of groups of 50 will advance. There are a lot of good stories on the forums. And who knows what else is *out there* that didn't post. Either way, the numbers are just plain tough.

2) Of all NYCM competitions, 250-word is the hardest for me. I tend to condense what should be flash when I probably should expand what might be 100-word micro. Or not. As I said, writing a solid 250-worder is a mystery to me. 

3) I've been knocked out on horror twice. I'd like to believe 3rd time is a charm, but I don't believe in luck, so that's out. 

But if I don't make it through, I'm happy to beta-read for finalists! 

Oh man…5 out of 50. I am not feeling confident at all but am excited for results! 
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:41pm
I'm also a "Not going through" for similar reasons. Numbers are pretty tough and I just don't think my story is particularly good - I thought it was bad when I submitted it and while I've warmed up to it a bit, I'm pretty aware of its flaws.

But eh, I'm busy this weekend anyway so not adding extra stress won't upset me
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:46pm
Probably the day after tomorrow for those of us east of the Atlantic, so I'm trying not to get too tense yet.
I am never confident of reaching the final. The competition's just too fierce at this stage. But of all the stories I have written for NYCM this is the one that's gone down best on the forum, so if that's any guide I have a chance. Plus I've tempted fate by making plans for most of Saturday.
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Probably the day after tomorrow for those of us east of the Atlantic, so I'm trying not to get too tense yet.
I am never confident of reaching the final. The competition's just too fierce at this stage. But of all the stories I have written for NYCM this is the one that's gone down best on the forum, so if that's any guide I have a chance. Plus I've tempted fate by making plans for most of Saturday.

Your story was my favourite of the competition - I have thought about it often since reading it as it really resonated with me.  I will be furious on your behalf if you don't make it to the next round!
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:53pm
I'm not confident, five out of fifty! But I am looking forward to feedback. I also have other writing to do this weekend so if I don't make it I am still busy enough.
I ended up quite liking my story subject and plot but I don't love the execution, so it is what it is. 
Best of luck, refreshing commences tomorrow LOL
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 5:26pm
I am excited! I'm not sure how my Ghost-rom/com will work with the judges and 5/50 is tough! Looking forward to feedback as well. 
Wishing everyone the best of luck!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>