NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question
    Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 6:35pm
Not to sound like the report card on moviebytes.com but what is everyone's opiniion on the significance of this contest?

Like I've said, I love the fact that with each passing year I learn a little more about writing on assignment and you'd think that maybe some agents and managers might take notice of this contest since that's the most consistent income generator for most professional screenwriters. Don't get me wrong I'd rather be a spec writer any day but in today's marketplace that just doesn't seem to be the case for a sustainable career.

glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 2:28am

I think the previous winners of this contest could best answer that question.  Since I didn't win, I could not give you an ironclad answer.  Having said that, I feel that the significance of any contest is to make contacts.

I don't have unrealistic visions when it comes to chasing this vocation.  Making a living as a screenwriter would be joyous, but I feel it is more about right place/right time as well as carbon copy mass appeal.

I've had some decent nibbles from being a finalist in other contests, so they all have some significance.  They are here to make money.  First and foremost, it's still a business.

I enter this particular contest for the challenge.  I think it's fun (providing your heat doesn't numb your brain).  To write a screenplay in one week and then possibly another in one day is all the significance I need.
Requiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 2:35am
I think this contest rates pretty low on the significance scale, but maybe last years winner will tell you otherwise. It's a fun challenge and that's the main reason I'm entering again.

I will say that my first round script last year garnered a few reads after winning its heat.
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 8:19am
Willie,

I think most visions are unrealistic and aren't most successes due to right place/right time, in some form or another, no matter what the quality of work and instead of carbon copy mass appeal I prefer entertainingly original.

Congratulations on all the bites people have received due to last years scripts lets toast on a few more this year!

Optimistically Yours,
glenn
jadeph View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 10:12am
I think this contest is a little gem. The other night I sat and watched every animation contest entry from this year in the other competition offered in here. I was blown away by the talent. I didn't know if I actually could participate this year as I never know if I will be working or not. I'm freelance and when I work I can barely breathe let alone write. I think it's what you do with the script, or the win from this competition, that makes it important. I think this competition is cool and has guts and heart -- this is what makes it a contender. This is what makes it big time to me.

Joan 
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 11:43am
I don't think anyone is breaking into Hollywood off of this contest.

Having said that, this is my favorite contest I've ever done. I think it is a wonderful chance to work on your craft, make some new friends, and maybe even come up with a killer short script.

Chris
elblanc0 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elblanc0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 1:26pm
Speaking of writing a killer short script...

I know that there are more than a few writer/directors here, anyone considering submitting to Fox's "On the Lot"? Maybe with something they write for this contest?
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 1:30pm
Do you have a link to that elblanc0?

Thanks in Advance
glenn
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 1:37pm
Here is a link to the contest: On The Lot

I am thinking of submitting a short film I did last year, "The Hunter"

I fear though, that like most reality contests, they are looking more for "personalities" rather than struggling filmmakers.

Chris

Edited by Chris Messineo - 21 Jul 2006 at 1:38pm
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 1:39pm
Thanks Chris,

You've always been the ask and you shall receive guy on this forum - I appreciate it. Hope you get in a heat you like. I'm heading out to blow off some steam before the call from the challenging gods.

glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>