NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Submission Formatting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote screenwriter_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:43pm
I use a special screenwriting software and it does all of the formatting for me and I save it on PDF. How and where do you post each entry? I would like to know proper procedure BEFORE this thing starts.

Thanks.

Rob McCabe
Sponsored Links
The #1 Writing Tool

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm
Hey Rob,

Rules for submitting the script are given in the contest rules. Generally speaking, you follow standard script format - Courier font, margins, font size, and so on. The position of your transitions, scene heading, character names, dialog, action elements, and so on are also given in the rules. I think the submission format is PDF, but double-check. I know that's what I submitted in previous contests for NYC Midnight scripts. You have to upload a document to them--you cannot send them a link.

Depending upon your software, you should not have to worry about the format if you tag/use the right elements. I've tried quite a few packages before settling on Fade In, and while I chose it for what it does for me as a writer, the final output is near identical to the output from every other package.

For posting to the forums, you would put your PDF in a cloud storage application like OneDrive or Dropbox, then share the link to your script in the forum as a link. You are not obligated to do so--sharing your script after the submissions is a courtesy and a fun way to see how others write. Don't share with the forum, though, until you are told by email from NYC Midnight that you're permitted to do so.

What software are you using?

Don't get too worried right now. It can be wonky your first time writing a script, but every software package I tried really helped me do it the right way.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by mdestr7882 mdestr7882 wrote:

On the first roundI made last minute punctuation mistakes, which I know can be a problem, but it was my understanding that a title page and synopsis are required to submit work. This judge's comment confused me.

Do I need a title page and synopsis?

WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - {1610}  ~ You don't need to announce title and/or synopsis on your first page. It will be evident what they are. And you have quotations marks, which you also don't need, only on one side of your title.

~ While NYC Midnight isn't a stickler re typos and grammar, if a mistake occurs right @ the outset, it raises a red flag. In addition to the title page issues, you have miss-use of a semicolon in your very first sentence; it should be a comma.  

I have always written the title page:

Title:  The Book
Synopsis:  It was a bad day in the publishing world when paper died.

And no judge ever said anything.  I doubt there is a hard and fast rule written anywhere stating it, and if judges have been deducting and not telling then that is wrong.

Round 1 story G73 horror THE BOOK
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:06pm
I've been entering these contests since 2013, and I have always used a title page w/ synopsis for every entry.

The title page/synopsis should be on their own page for the entry, though, and the second physical page should start your text. For a screenplay/script, the title page/synopsis is not numbered; the second physical page (the first page of the actual script) is numbered as page 1, and subsequent pages follow. A 12-page script is 13 physical pages, for example. 

The judge may be confused.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic