NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Theme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvansEnt24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Theme
    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:39am
Hello,

I just wanted to know when it comes to the political satire theme, can we use actual political figures? Or would they have to be fictionalized?

Thank you

Don't wait your whole life to do something special
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:16am
You can. I've used real British politicians in Political satire and used Trump in PolSat for R1 of Short Story, BUT I got dinged for Trump sounding too articulate... so be careful and good luck!

Paula
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 12:47pm
I used real US senators as characters in my last poli sat, and it seemed to go over pretty well.  I think it’s safer to either treat them as gross caricatures of themselves, or to put them in absurd situations.  Trying to make them real-to-life would open your readers (or in this case, judges) to more internal bias, I think personally. But that’s just one person’s opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic