NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Published Authors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Poll Question: Are you a published author?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
68 [49.64%]
69 [50.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

So, that "China White"....wow. I loved it! Definitely didn't predict the direction it was going (well I knew because of the image, but it didn't happen the way I thought it would...).

thanks! If I'd had my druthers, I wouldn't have included that picture because I wouldn't want to give it away. But publishers do as they please! >shrug<
Briana Una View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Briana Una Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 2:49pm
You can find one flash fiction piece of mine ("For the Feather Dusters") in this anthology, but even more exciting is the fact that I got TWO acceptance e-mails on other stories this month -- and one of them is for my round 1 story of the FFC!
kizernix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:11pm
I love everyone sharing their success stories, its a motivator for me to keep up the rigor!  I plan to go through this thread this weekend and read what our NYCM writers have published.  I've started getting my first rejection letters and am learning to appreciate them because they are driving me to work harder.  

My first projects (both still in the works) are graphic novels where I am writing in script format, very similar to a screenplay.  It's a totally different type of writing as my primary focus is to get the artist to be able to take my words and make a visual image of it.  Its been a lot of fun, but I'm ready to take on a novel next.  

Look forward to seeing more posts on this thread, thanks again to everyone who has shared their stories!  
Kizer   

Edited by kizernix - 27 Sep 2018 at 7:12pm
SS1:The Jewelry Box of Hildegard von Dideritz
SS2:The Silverfish
Nikki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:05pm
I just had one of my short stories published in a fantasy anthology called "Fantasy for the Throne" It's available here: http://fantasticbooks.biz/fantasticbooks/fantasy/1515423301.html

I also had a 7,000 word fantasy story published in an anthology called 9 Tales From Elsewhere (vol. 5) and a story in one of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books several years ago.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:09pm
I'm unsure if self-published counts, but if so, then yes!
Shameless self-promotion here:
https://www.amazon.com/Marriage-Wars-Lin-Morris/dp/1502404222/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1498189146&sr=8-9
If it doesn't, then sadly no. But I'm trying!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:07pm
I had a comedy piece published in an extream sports mag many years ago - no pay involved.

Edited by Suave - 27 Sep 2018 at 11:07pm
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

I'm unsure if self-published counts, but if so, then yes!
Shameless self-promotion here:
https://www.amazon.com/Marriage-Wars-Lin-Morris/dp/1502404222/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1498189146&sr=8-9
If it doesn't, then sadly no. But I'm trying!

Shameless supportive promotion.  I recently read this and it's a typically-engaging Lookit tale that will keep you reading right to the end.
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 12:07am
I just got an acceptance email from Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine for a 1500-word suspense story I wrote last year.  It’s my first time submitting to EQMM and I’m pretty jazzed because they get over 2000 submissions per year and have about a 97% rejection rate!

TD
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 12:13am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

I just got an acceptance email from Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine for a 1500-word suspense story I wrote last year.  It’s my first time submitting to EQMM and I’m pretty jazzed because they get over 2000 submissions per year and have about a 97% rejection rate!

TD

That's huge! Congratulations!!!!!
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:43am
FWIW, I think self-publishing totally counts. You finished a project, got it into print - people can buy it and read it. Additionally, I think there has been such a shift in the public's acceptance of the legitimacy of indie/self-published authors.
I have discovered so many new authors through Kindle Unlimited that I would never have otherwise, and I think a fair portion of KU authors are self-published.

So I say if you self-publish, don't short-change yourself and say it doesn't count, or you're "just" self-published. IMO, it's still a huge accomplishment and something to be proud of!
FFCCh#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
SSC R1 H117 The Price of Fire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>