NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PROMPTS WE'D LIKE TO SEE ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:26pm
Suave wrote:

I still think a cowboy western genre would be great, there is nothing like it, read a lot of those as a kid. Zane Grey, "Wilderness Trek" was really his best, but not for showing the dime store western genre that I am talking about for a new genre.

Well, Suave ... when you realise that many people here are not from the US and raised on a diet of the Lone Ranger and Gunfight At The OK Corral, it might be a bit of a handicap.

The HELL it is!
I love a bit of John Wayne (True Grit....my Dad made a replica Walker Colt) and I LOVED Champion the Wonder Horse......can still hear the theme tune in my head.....

Edited by NYCNewbie - 12 Mar 2018 at 7:28pm
Sponsored Links

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I still think a cowboy western genre would be great, there is nothing like it, read a lot of those as a kid.  Zane Grey, "Wilderness Trek" was really his best, but not for showing the dime store western genre that I am talking about for a new genre.

Well, Suave ... when you realise that many people here are not from the US and raised on a diet of the Lone Ranger and Gunfight At The OK Corral, it might be a bit of a handicap. 

Never thought of that, but it can't be much different from some of those same places where they would get arrested for political satire, haha.
PennyForThem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyForThem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 2:44am
I will preface this by saying I have flu. I would like a prompt that allowed me to recreate the fevered ramblings and logic during the night when my body had to contort into different shapes because I spelling out some form of healing spell. Fever fiction. This sh*t could get seriously weird!

Crumpet and puzzle book would be the other prompts. Just because I lack the imagination to think beyond my bedside table.

Edited by PennyForThem - 13 Mar 2018 at 2:46am
ASharedNarrative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASharedNarrative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:44am
A "western" genre would be easy enough for even foreign writers in this competition. Japan has made westerns for decades, and sometimes better then the people who invented the genre.

It's recognizable enough there it could be added, and one of those overlap genres (say, consolidating suspense and horror into one) finally gets absorbed into it's overlap.

I'd try it for a year, at least.
2018 SSC
R1 G62 (Spy) - Ex Parte
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:49am
Originally posted by PennyForThem PennyForThem wrote:

I will preface this by saying I have flu. I would like a prompt that allowed me to recreate the fevered ramblings and logic during the night when my body had to contort into different shapes because I spelling out some form of healing spell. Fever fiction. This sh*t could get seriously weird!

Crumpet and puzzle book would be the other prompts. Just because I lack the imagination to think beyond my bedside table.

Bless, you! Hope you get well soon!
I love crumpets haha!

P x

Edited by NYCNewbie - 13 Mar 2018 at 3:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic