NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prompt: What did you get? How do you like it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:37pm
Haven't heard of any other Group 8ers (drama - botanical garden - fish hook)... unless I missed a post, of course.

Anyone out there?
SSC C1 Nary a thought... (15pts)
SSC C2 May Contain Attraction [soon...]
FFC C3 In the Long Whiteness
Sponsored Links

Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Saviarre Saviarre wrote:

I'm in group 64 too! I'm moderately comfortable with what I submitted, but man that 1000 word max is limiting!! My biggest issues were figuring out exactly what was expected for a "drama" genre, figuring out what to do with the snail that would be unique, and... I admit it, I had to google what a "Cybercafe" was. I am not proud of that fact, haha!

This is my first time ever doing something like this, so I'm not going into it with any high expectations. It's a fun challenge. 

If you don't know what a cybercafe is, you definitely are neither Asian, nor a gamer... I am officially jealous of our prompt, mind you. There's been real-life drama linked to cybercafes and gamers. Don't google too much on that topic; you'll lose faith in humanity.
jayscott View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Saviarre Saviarre wrote:

I'm in group 64 too! I'm moderately comfortable with what I submitted, but man that 1000 word max is limiting!! My biggest issues were figuring out exactly what was expected for a "drama" genre, figuring out what to do with the snail that would be unique, and... I admit it, I had to google what a "Cybercafe" was. I am not proud of that fact, haha!

This is my first time ever doing something like this, so I'm not going into it with any high expectations. It's a fun challenge. 

I got drama too. Not my first choice, but not my last, either. In my head, I always equate it with "serious business"--I like to think of the the motives that criminals have in crime shows as a starting point, just with less...murder and stuff as the characters' way to work through it.

The other pieces of my prompt were botanical garden and fish hook...which seem like they should go better together.

Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Haven't heard of any other Group 8ers (drama - botanical garden - fish hook)... unless I missed a post, of course.

Anyone out there?

Haha! You posted while I was typing up this reply. ^5

Edited by jayscott - 16 Jul 2017 at 11:40pm
JessBarratt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JessBarratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by judartbarnside judartbarnside wrote:

Heat 77

Comedy

Thrift Store

Vacuum

My sister suggested I make a short story version of that Macklemore song... 

Hey hey 77 buddy!

Hope things have been creative and lovely :D
FCC 2017 CH1 Suck it, Ms. Bea
FCC 2017 CH2 Valley View's Dead
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:40pm
My beta had a busy day, and didn't get back to me until 2.5 hours before the deadline (right as Game of Thrones was starting, for reference). I made a few adjustments based on his suggestions, and got it submitted with 20 minutes to spare.
Shocked
I like living dangerously.
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessBarratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by leslieonfire leslieonfire wrote:

I'm in Heat 77 too! 

Comedy isn't my forte, necessarily, but I really dig surreal/absurd humor, so I'm thinking about going in that direction.

Oh right on! I definitely took it in an absurd way--though I have only written one comedy piece before that relied largely on coffee puns...
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by jayscott jayscott wrote:

Haha! You posted while I was typing up this reply. ^5

Well well... Finally!

I'll be more than happy to give a Groupmate a read!

Best of luck in G8!

Edited by Zblugg - 16 Jul 2017 at 11:53pm
A_Zint View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Zint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:53pm
Anyone from Group 78? 
Genre: Sci-fi
Object: A skeleton

I do not watch or read sci-fi at all... I think my piece turned out pretty alright though. I hope. I ended up taking concepts I have, regarding my major, and incorporating them into the story. 
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessBarratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by ajbosworth ajbosworth wrote:

Comedy, Thrift Store, Vacuum cleaner!

Here we go...

YOU CAN DO IT TEAMIE!

How'd it go?
The.Black.Violet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Black.Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:46am
I got this one too and I'll say that breast milk was definitely a prompt I never would have expected. I hope yours turned out well! Curious to see what everyone came up with :)!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
  Share Topic