NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Final Draft 10?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Final Draft 10?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 12:38am
Hi. Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with final Draft 10, windows.

First - This has just been fixed by instructions I got from Random here on the forum, he may be a genus and his Mom should be proud, Final Draft still has no solution. The thing that bothers me the most and has just started happening this past week is when writing into the screenplays and I pause for just moments the cursor disappears and I have to click on the document or start typing to get it back. I can't find any settings where I can tell the program to keep the cursor there and blinking - I have searched the internet and FD site to find a solution but nothing.  Anyone know how to fix this? This is also waiting on FD to respond - they have responded and have no fix on this other than to try a reinstall which I did to no affect, but say others are also having this happen and they are working on it. As they now have FD11 out I wonder if this is just FD10 being forgotten about?

Second - I just received instructions on how to fix this from Final Draft after months waiting and it worked!!!!  Another thing that happened was that when starting the program I would get an error message that said a dill file was missing and could not open, even though the program did open. On Googling I see there are lots of others getting this same problem - I contacted Final draft about this long ago and they told me to contact Microsoft as they had noting to do with it, I told them that theirs is the only program that is doing this, but they still said it is not their fault. I tried the reinstall they suggested and no luck. Googling shows this is happening to others as well.

Third - Then the auto-update started saying there was an error and was not working. Again I have reinstalled, but still the same. Am waiting for a come back from FD - got an answer from calling in to FD, as the reinstall did not help the guy said it was fine that was how it was saying that there was no up date.

Edited by Suave - 08 Feb 2021 at 11:11pm
DeadShed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadShed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:42am
I just stumbled across this forum while looking for answers to a couple of mysterious issues I've been having with Final Draft on my new computer. Please excuse the thread necromancy, but I figured I'd post first here as one of the problems I'm facing is listed here.

I'm not sure if my two problems are connected, but the first issue is just what you experienced with the disappearing cursor - it flashes for 5 or 6 times and then 'vanishes' despite remaining in-place. Once you move it or click elsewhere it reappears for 5 or 6 flashes and then disappears again.

Similarly, the cursor also has a habit of leaving a solid non-flashing 'ghost' of itself behind while the true 'active cursor' is elsewhere.

Could you share what the solution to that problem was?

Secondly, however, the really annoying issue I'm having is this:

After about 20-40 minutes of writing, Final Draft will decide - for no apparent reason - to stop letting me edit my document. You can scroll through and click about the document, but you can't actually make any changes (if you try to type a word nothing will happen). If you close Final Draft and then re-open your file you can continue as normal - but, again, about 20-40 minutes later it'll pull the same trick again.

I thought it might have something to do with AutoSave, as the first time it happened was when it autosaved while I was right in the middle of hammering out a line of text at speed. I tried turning off autosave and delaying how long before it autosaved, but that didn't fix the problem.

I'm working on Final Draft 12, but I also experiencing this same issue with Final Draft 11. Re-installs haven't made a difference either. I'm on Windows 10 and it's fully updated, too.

I've just replicated it and it does seem to 'grey out' a bunch of the options - and yet it's an activated version of Final Draft. So, perhaps, it seems that it's somehow glitching into some sort of 'read only' mode every 30-ish minutes.

Can anyone please help? It's doing my nut in.

Edited by DeadShed - 25 Jun 2021 at 11:43am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 11:46am
Originally posted by DeadShed DeadShed wrote:

I just stumbled across this forum while looking for answers to a couple of mysterious issues I've been having with Final Draft on my new computer. Please excuse the thread necromancy, but I figured I'd post first here as one of the problems I'm facing is listed here.

I'm not sure if my two problems are connected, but the first issue is just what you experienced with the disappearing cursor - it flashes for 5 or 6 times and then 'vanishes' despite remaining in-place. Once you move it or click elsewhere it reappears for 5 or 6 flashes and then disappears again.

Similarly, the cursor also has a habit of leaving a solid non-flashing 'ghost' of itself behind while the true 'active cursor' is elsewhere.

Could you share what the solution to that problem was?

Secondly, however, the really annoying issue I'm having is this:

After about 20-40 minutes of writing, Final Draft will decide - for no apparent reason - to stop letting me edit my document. You can scroll through and click about the document, but you can't actually make any changes (if you try to type a word nothing will happen). If you close Final Draft and then re-open your file you can continue as normal - but, again, about 20-40 minutes later it'll pull the same trick again.

I thought it might have something to do with AutoSave, as the first time it happened was when it autosaved while I was right in the middle of hammering out a line of text at speed. I tried turning off autosave and delaying how long before it autosaved, but that didn't fix the problem.

I'm working on Final Draft 12, but I also experiencing this same issue with Final Draft 11. Re-installs haven't made a difference either. I'm on Windows 10 and it's fully updated, too.

I've just replicated it and it does seem to 'grey out' a bunch of the options - and yet it's an activated version of Final Draft. So, perhaps, it seems that it's somehow glitching into some sort of 'read only' mode every 30-ish minutes.

Can anyone please help? It's doing my nut in.

Hi! I don't know about the other things, they don't happen to me, so far, lol.
Their forums don't have much of anything to help you, but you should call their help line and talk to a person, they might be able to help you, they were not much help to me.

But the cursor, yes there is a fix. Private message me your email and I will contact the guy who helped me out and will try to get the fix to you.

Post Reply Post Reply