Print Page | Close Window

Writing to Music

Printed From: NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting
Category: GENERAL DISCUSSION
Forum Name: Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss NYC Midnight Screenwriting Competitions or Screenwriting in general.
URL: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=78
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Writing to Music
Posted By: Chris Messineo
Subject: Writing to Music
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:42am
I am sitting, here finishing up my first draft, while listening to "The Chorus".

I always write to music.  I don't think I could write without it.  Recently, I have actually created an ITunes playlist for each piece I am working on and I fill it with music that fits the mood of the script I am writing.

Chris

Replies:
Posted By: Requiem
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:46am
I never listen to music when I write although I often think that I should.

Anything with lyrics distracts me and most of my music collection is lyrical. I very, very rarely listen to a movie soundtrack when I write but I find even instrumental music distracting.

I need complete silence so I can hear the voices in my head Smile

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

I need complete silence so I can hear the voices in my head Smile
The voices in my head must be noisier.

Chris

Posted By: trike
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:51am
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

When I do, it's generally when I don't have a deadline, so if I get distracted then it's no big deal.  Instrumentals, mostly.

Doug

Posted By: BarbaraFL
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:52am

Most of the time I do. I discovered the music channels on my digital cable tv.

So far I learned that for me: Silence is bad, reality tv is bad, being near my beloved but hyper dog is bad (for writing purposes)

Airports and restaurants are good, music is good unless it's my neighbor's thumping bass, waiting for car to be finished at car dealer service department = good

Posted By: gmercer
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:57am
How could I write to music - then I couldn't hear the ticking clock. I usually have cable news on - so I get some background noice but I don't care about what those idiots have to say.

Posted By: Willie
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

I am sitting, here finishing up my first draft, while listening to "The Chorus".

I always write to music.  I don't think I could write without it.  Recently, I have actually created an ITunes playlist for each piece I am working on and I fill it with music that fits the mood of the script I am writing.

Chris

You are scaring me - I also have a list for each piece, and the tunes are in the piece I am currently working on -  I use Real Rhapsody.

I'm an IT guy as well.

I'll be 39 in less than a week.

I live in NJ.

Bill

Posted By: ABEAR111
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:00am

I had to vote "sometimes" because you didn't have "most of the time".  I find that I normally write much better if I am listening to the right music, then the music becomes so entwined with the script in my mind that whenver I hear it later, I think of specific scenes or moods of the script and I pretty much cannot use that music while writing any other screenplay.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

You are scaring me - I also have a list for each piece, and the tunes are in the piece I am currently working on -  I use Real Rhapsody.

I'm an IT guy as well.

I'll be 39 in less than a week.

I live in NJ.

Bill
Talk about coincidences.

Are you also wanted by the federal authorities in connection with some out of state felonies?

Chris

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:15am

Talk about coincidences.

Are you also wanted by the federal authorities in connection with some out of state felonies?

Chris

No - I do however have a stunt-dummy... double, right - a stunt-double who seems to be having some trouble.

Bill

Posted By: ABEAR111
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:16am
LOL

Posted By: aurora68
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:33am

Chris

We sometimes write with, sometimes without.  But our works in progress always have imaginary soundtracks, and once I've associated a song with a script, it will always bring that script to mind when I hear it.  It's kinda cool, I think.  And I like your iTunes idea -- maybe we'll try it.

Posted By: 2184pro
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

once I've associated a song with a script, it will always bring that script to mind when I hear it.  It's kinda cool, I think. 

There are certain songs I listen to when I want to mentally visit a script I haven't written yet.

In my mind's eye the rhythm of the song dictates the editing of an action scene. Eventually, I see the characters well enough in the sequence to create new scenes and the story progresses in my mind. That's how I get the key moments or major plot points.

It's a wild exercise for certain, but fun.

-------------
Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro

Posted By: BarbaraFL
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

In my mind's eye the rhythm of the song dictates the editing of an action scene. Eventually, I see the characters well enough in the sequence to create new scenes and the story progresses in my mind. That's how I get the key moments or major plot points.

That is VERY coolSmile.

Posted By: trike
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

once I've associated a song with a script, it will always bring that script to mind when I hear it.  It's kinda cool, I think. 

There are certain songs I listen to when I want to mentally visit a script I haven't written yet.

I do that, too.

I particularly like to use film scores to conjure up scenes.  I have an extensive collection to fall back on, suitable for almost every mood.  If I need something in the background, then I generally opt for Philip Glass' "Low Symphony."

Doug

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 3:10pm

Music is very important in film, and because of that, I want to say what the heck is played to my writing.

I associate music with the mood and it helps me figure out the scenes.  Whatever works, I guess.

Bill

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 5:50pm
Right now I'm writing to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony - I hope there is no correlation.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net