Print Page | Close Window

The Sound of Silence

Printed From: NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting
Category: GENERAL DISCUSSION
Forum Name: Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss NYC Midnight Screenwriting Competitions or Screenwriting in general.
URL: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=69
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Sound of Silence
Posted By: gmercer
Subject: The Sound of Silence
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:20pm
I guess everybody is working on their scripts - I probably should too? Anybody getting nervous?

glenn

Replies:
Posted By: Willie
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:21pm
Nah - having some fun writing right now, but wondering what happened to the posters?

Posted By: AndyHeck
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:23pm
Busy.  Got to write this screenplay in a week...

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:31pm
Glenn or Andy,

How do you guys feel about the use of:     CUT TO:

Thanks,
Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:35pm
Willie,

I don't think it's necessary because your slugline is basically a CUT TO: but there technically is nothing wrong with it. I have read in books though that some hollywood readers don't like looking at all the cut to's, but sometimes a cut to: does have a good impact in the right place - so you should probably just use your best judgement.

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:37pm
I meant to ask what your thoughts were on it?

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:46pm
I leave it out as well - I go with the sluglines.  Having said that, I've never written suspense, and I feel that some may be needed.  More back and forth than straight ahead, such as a drama/comedy... for me, anyway.

I'm having much more fun this time around.

Good luck,
Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:55pm
Thanks I wish I had gotten suspense - fantasy/a window is the barrel I'm looking down at. I have found my story though and it's coming along good now.

Chris mentioned in an earlier post that there's a guy who's in 2 heats and at first I thought he was ambitious but now after thinking about and having 2 years in a row with heat assignments I'm not thrilled with - that maybe next year I'll pay for 2 as well - maybe I'll get at least one genre I like.

good luck to you as well - looking forward to reading yours,
glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:09pm
Thanks,

I would kill for mockumentary or comedy... last year I had Mystery/Ice.  It took me several days to get over the disgust.

This year it only took me one day.

Looking forward to reading yours as well.

Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:33pm
It's funny how different people are, last year I thought Mystery/Ice was the best possible one - I've been tempted on various occasions to write a feature using those guidelines, but who has the time with the other features I'm working on and not to meantion the day job - which I like to refer to as the dead job.

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:41pm
Working does get in the way of writing... my head is filled with ideas that need some attention, but my 2 kids have to eat and I have to pay for gas as well.

Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:55pm
That's why I'm selfish about my writing, my kids only need one meal a day which gives them the strength to push the car when we run out of gas - JK - I don't even have kids - I have neices which is nice, they can go home when thay get annoying - lol.
glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:56pm
Willie,

Do you write features as well?

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:10pm

Yes - I'm getting some developer and producer interest in one.  I should write more shorts, the one I did write did very well in British Short and American Gem last year.

I'm not a typical hollywood-style writer... I'm not big on fantasy, mystery, thriller, horror or suspense.

I'm more of a character driven, dialogue driven writer.  It's what I dig. 

The feature getting some interest - here's the logline: A cynical and disgruntled Cupid, tired of his thankless job, finds liquor, trouble and a few surprising definitions of love, in A Bar Called Elegante.

I see John Goodman as the Cupid character.  I just had an email today from a Story Developer from Humble Journey Films requesting it.

I have 4 features on the back burner, looking for time - from where?  Who the heck knows.

Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Yes - I'm getting some developer and producer interest in one.  I should write more shorts, the one I did write did very well in British Short and American Gem last year.

The feature getting some interest - here's the logline: A cynical and disgruntled Cupid, tired of his thankless job, finds liquor, trouble and a few surprising definitions of love, in A Bar Called Elegante.

Bill

Is that the same short you wrote for this contest last year?

A Bar Called Elegante - good concept, it sounds interesting - a lot of potential for great moments.  Did you place in some contests with it - 'cause it sounds kinda familiar - maybe I saw it posted on moviebytes?

Do you have an agent or manager or did you start querying prod. companies?

I'm putting the final touches on a screenplay I wrote and I'm getting ready to shop it around, I've spent so much time learning how to write a screenplay and now I have to send some more time learning how market one.

glenn

Posted By: Rory MacLeod
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:27pm
I know you didn't ask for my opinion on CUT TO:, but here goes.

One thing to consider about using CUT TO: is that it takes up two lines that could be used for other things.  Normally, it's not that big of a deal.  But in this competition, where you are limited to 20 pages, you might want to eliminate anything that's not absolutely necessary.

Any scene transition assumes a CUT TO: unless otherwise specified.  You may have a reason for a DISSOLVE TO: every once in a while, but for the purposes of this competition, I wouldn't bother.

Posted By: Rory MacLeod
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

I'm putting the final touches on a screenplay I wrote and I'm getting ready to shop it around, I've spent so much time learning how to write a screenplay and now I have to send some more time learning how market one.

glenn

Ditto.  I am beginning to realize why most screenwriters fail.  There is a significant amount of committment required to learn all of the various and sundry rules regarding our craft, specifically proper script formatting.  It's a mountain to climb, especially if you don't have the benefit of having attended film school with an eye on making this your career.

Everything I know about screenwriting (which may not be much) comes from these online forums and websites, reading other screenplays, and probably a dozen books I have purchased.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:34pm
A Bar Called Elegante placed 3rd in Red Inkworks last year, as well as top 10 in Anything But Hollywood.

I don't have an agent or manager.  The production companies came to me, due to the contests and it being listed on Inktip.

It's not the short from last year... it is a short I wrote in about the same amount of time, though.  It is screaming to be a feature, but time does not stand still.

I'm a stubborn kind of guy - not a good salesman.  I feel that if you like it, great, if not - well, I'm not going to try to sell you on it.

If I ever walked into a pitch meeting, they'd either respect me for my candor or they'd say "who the f does he think he is?"

I want to read interesting story lines, so I try to write them as well.  I don't think I can be a formula writer, my brain isn't wired that way.  Though this contest gives me practice.

Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:34pm
I think you and I attended the same school - indulge everything you can get on the subject. Good point about cut to:'s and please chime in as often as possible - I have a short attention span so I'm using this forum as a break while I write.

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:40pm
I'm a cabinet maker by trade - so my mind thinks in terms of blueprints and that's how I write, but unfortunately I think I'm a better writer when I'm looser and don't stick to any pre conceived notions I had for the script - I just find it hard to switch back and forth.

I entered the first draft of this script in a couple contests 2 years ago and actually placed in 2 - which made me excited due to it being my first completed screenplay and only the first draft, but now I've rewritten it a few times and I really think it's at a level where it can be shopped around.

What do you think of inktip.com? I get so many emails from them about deadline coming soon that I thought it was a bullsh*t sight but now it seems that writers are getting their stuff seen on there?

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:52pm
Inktip is solid - I only got listed there because it was part of placing in one contest.

I try to enter contests that fit what I'm doing.  I don't write blockbusters; if it were to happen, it would be a lucky mistake.

There are many b.s. contests out there, ready and willing to take your money - as well as script consultants.  I don't care if a script conforms to someone's ridiculous rules... and I don't need to pay someone to tell me "you're talented - but it needs polish".

If you're honest, you know where you stand with your writing.  And you may be a wonderful writer with flowing & interesting dialogue - it doesn't mean someone will make your movie.

Look at some of the sh** that gets made - I'm amazed at the lack of quality of many films.  Same tired premise, rammed down our throats, over and over.

Okay, I just fell through my soapbox... excuse me... there are suds everywhere... I must clean up.

Enjoy,
Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:57pm

No worries Willie,

I've said it before but one of the best parts of this forum is everybody's friendly critiques and advice.  Anything I can learn from somebody is a plus to me, and anything I know I'm willing to share.

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:13pm
When this round is in the books, send the script you are getting ready to market, and I'll send A Bar Called Elegante.  Comments are always welcome.

This forum is friendly and there is knowledge in all corners.

Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:15pm
Glenn - when I use the word "you", I am speaking about all of us, not you, not me... meaning we may all be wonderful writers, but sometimes we write for ourselves and those who we pay to read our words.... Big smile

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:20pm

When this round is in the books, send the script you are getting ready to market, and I'll send A Bar Called Elegante.  Comments are always welcome.

This forum is friendly and there is knowledge in all corners.

Bill

When I'm finished my final rewrite/polish, which should be done in a week or two, I'll definitely send Rapid Eye Movement your way. Most of my readers are family and friends so any outside critiques are beyond helpful for me.

Thanks,
glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:24pm
Glenn,

Your title sounds familar - what contest was it in?  Was it listed somewhere in moviebytes.com?

Bill

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:24pm

Glenn - when I use the word "you", I am speaking about all of us, not you, not me... meaning we may all be wonderful writers, but sometimes we write for ourselves and those who we pay to read our words.... Big smile

I didn't take it that way Willie but thanks - at times I think I'm a great writer but then at other times I'm in a funk and hate everything, I guess most writers are like that.

I'm really starting to see a progression in my work and starting to realize that maybe I am not too bad or at least have studied craft enough that I now know how to fake it.

glenn

Posted By: ABEAR111
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:47pm
Personally, I think it's all one big crapshoot.   There are as many writers as stories out there and they are all looking for their shot.  Like anything else you have that one guy or gal who comes out of nowhere with the perfect script and shoots past everyone to the top, but for the most part we are all down here just trying to get noticed.  You have to have just the right script for just the right person who reads it at just the right time, then that has to happen ten more times as it heads up the chain to the person who can push the golden button for you.  So it better be perfect.  And, no offense, but the "take my script as it is or leave it the hell alone" attitude is guaranteed to get you script left the hell alone unless you are an established writer with a proven "hit" record or you've just written the next Star Wars Trilogy and if either of those were true, why would you be wasting your time reading this crap?

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:55pm

I don't need to pay someone to tell me "you're talented - but it needs polish".

What do you think about this deal with "Writer's Bootcamp" giving feedback after all is done.  Could be great or it could be like those guys who stand on the corner in the French Quarter trying to sell you a time share.  Just wondering - you know anything about them?

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:56pm

Glenn,

Your title sounds familar - what contest was it in?  Was it listed somewhere in moviebytes.com?

Bill

Willie,

It was a quarter finalist in The Fade In Awards a couple years ago and also a quarter finalist in The International Screenplay Awards - I think that's what it was called - I think it's the Page Awards now. It wasn't featured on moviebytes but it was in one of the press releases that were sent out from the contests.

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

Personally, I think it's all one big crapshoot.   There are as many writers as stories out there and they are all looking for their shot.  Like anything else you have that one guy or gal who comes out of nowhere with the perfect script and shoots past everyone to the top, but for the most part we are all down here just trying to get noticed.  You have to have just the right script for just the right person who reads it at just the right time, then that has to happen ten more times as it heads up the chain to the person who can push the golden button for you.  So it better be perfect.  And, no offense, but the "take my script as it is or leave it the hell alone" attitude is guaranteed to get you script left the hell alone unless you are an established writer with a proven "hit" record or you've just written the next Star Wars Trilogy and if either of those were true, why would you be wasting your time reading this crap?

For every good script out there you have to figure there are at least a hundred if not a thousand horrible ones, so as long as I'm one of the best of the worst I might just have a shot.

glenn

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 9:06pm

For every good script out there you have to figure there are at least a hundred if not a thousand horrible ones, so as long as I'm one of the best of the worst I might just have a shot.

glenn

We all have a shot, but me thinks they're pretty long.  Regardless, I figure most of you are like me, regardless of what happens, you'll get my pen when you pry my cold, dead fingers off of it...

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 9:12pm

We all have a shot, but me thinks they're pretty long.  Regardless, I figure most of you are like me, regardless of what happens, you'll get my pen when you pry my cold, dead fingers off of it...

Write up to my dying day. You have to figure there are professional screenwriters out there and why can't one of us be one of them?

glenn

Posted By: BarbaraFL
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 1:42am

glenn

That's what I figure as well. If I allow myself to think about the business for very long I get discouraged (even Nicholl winning spec scripts don't sell! That's nuts). And then there are some horrible films being made.

I know I can write a horrible script!!! LOLConfused

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 4:00am

Part of the problem is the dumbing of America... I saw it when I played music.  I was around incredible musicians who lived 10 to a flat, graduated from Julliard, Berkley and/or Manhattan School of Music, yet they were subs on Broadway or summer concert series.

I decided I was not going to be a starving musician... and I will not be a starving writer, either.  I love the craft, and hope that I will be able to sustain a living doing exactly that - but...

I still have a lot to learn about screenwriting, it's only been 2 1/2 years for me.  I started writing short stories and plays many years ago, then moved to screenwriting with the 2nd Project Greenlight.

Good luck to all - looking forward to reading the 1st round scripts.

Posted By: aurora68
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 8:38am

What do you think about this deal with "Writer's Bootcamp" giving feedback after all is done.  Could be great or it could be like those guys who stand on the corner in the French Quarter trying to sell you a time share.  Just wondering - you know anything about them?

Writer's Bootcamp has a solid reputation.  My husband and I went to a freebie mini-bootcamp they had at the San Diego Film Festival a couple of years ago.  It was really informative.  We've also worked very closely with someone who used to teach there.  She's a really talented writer and a great teacher -- she writes for 'Entourage' and is extremely generous with her advice.  If the other teachers at Writer's Bootcamp are anything like her, the feedback will be worth having.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 8:48am
Hey - I didn't post that bootcamp...

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 9:33am
Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

Writer's Bootcamp has a solid reputation.  My husband and I went to a freebie mini-bootcamp they had at the San Diego Film Festival a couple of years ago.  It was really informative.  We've also worked very closely with someone who used to teach there.  She's a really talented writer and a great teacher -- she writes for 'Entourage' and is extremely generous with her advice.  If the other teachers at Writer's Bootcamp are anything like her, the feedback will be worth having.

Glad to hear it, I had never heard of them before.  Now I can't wait to hear from them.  Thanks Aurora!

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 9:34am

They probably are not going to take kindly to your questioning their veracity, Willie.

Posted By: trike
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:30am

I'm not a typical hollywood-style writer... I'm not big on fantasy, mystery, thriller, horror or suspense.

I'm more of a character driven, dialogue driven writer.  It's what I dig. 

I see John Goodman as the Cupid character.  I just had an email today from a Story Developer from Humble Journey Films requesting it.

That sounds like an interesting idea, but why don't you consider it Fantasy?  Sure sounds like one to me.

(Unless you use "Fantasy" as shorthand for "Epic Fantasy," such as Lord of the Rings or Conan the Barbarian.)

Doug

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:03am
Doug,

I don't consider it fantasy because it really takes mythical characters and puts them in ordinary life - as well as the same storyline running with ordinary folks.

Bill

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:05am

Doug,

I don't consider it fantasy because it really takes mythical characters and puts them in ordinary life - as well as the same storyline running with ordinary folks.

Bill

Willie, from reading your logline it sounds like it has a fantastical element but the subject matter seems to be anything but fantasy? Of course who could really tell without reading it.

glenn

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:06am

As all can see - I did not question Writer's Bootcamp, so please stop quoting me as if I did... thanks.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:08am
Glenn,

That is correct - I use mythical and/or fantasy characters, but the happenings are normal and ordinary, quite human, actually.

Bill

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:11am

As all can see - I did not question Writer's Bootcamp, so please stop quoting me as if I did... thanks.

Aurora did it!

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:46am

oopsie.Confused

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:50am

[

Aurora did it!

Aurora smiles sheepishly at Willie.

AURORA
                                Guilty as charged.  Please do forgive me? 
                                As god is my witness, I'll never misquote you
                                again.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

[

Aurora did it!

Aurora smiles sheepishly at Willie.

AURORA
                                Guilty as charged.  Please do forgive me? 
                                As god is my witness, I'll never misquote you
                                again.
Come on, Willie, she's a good egg.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 1:13pm

Come on, Willie, she's a good egg.

Why, thank you.Embarrassed

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 2:53pm

Doug,

Bill

Oh, so you're doing something like what the Coen Brothers did with the cyclops from The Odyssey when they translated him to a one-eyed Bible salesman in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Although that movie can reasonably be typed as part of the magical realist genre, that particular character wasn't all that fantastical.  (I think that came to mind because John Goodman played him.)

Doug

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 2:55pm

[senatormccarthy] Are you now or have you ever been affiliated with Writer's Bootcamp, questioned Writer's Bootcamp, or talked casually with someone about Writer's Bootcamp? [/senatormccarthy]

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 3:05pm

No - but Lou Gossett Jr. did call me Mayonaise once and made me do countless pushups.

Posted By: Hairy Lime
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 3:21pm

No - but Lou Gossett Jr. did call me Mayonaise once and made me do countless pushups.

braggart.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 3:25pm
Hey - what could I do?  I had no where else to go...

Posted By: BarbaraFL
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 3:26pm

That's hot.

Posted By: Chris Messineo
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 4:01pm

At least he didn't kick you where it counts.  That scene still makes me wince.

Chris

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net