Print Page | Close Window

Post-submission wine bar: how did it go?

Printed From: NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting
Category: GENERAL DISCUSSION
Forum Name: Creative Writing Corner
Forum Description: Discuss NYC Midnight Creative Writing Competitions or Creative Writing in general.
URL: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31150
Printed Date: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:59am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Post-submission wine bar: how did it go?
Posted By: taaaylor
Subject: Post-submission wine bar: how did it go?
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:48pm

Congrats on making it over the finish line. How are you feeling? How did your weekend go?

Personally I'm fried and obsessing about whether or not to use my last 16 extra words. But after lots of brutally bad drafts, I think I'm happy with how it came out.

In related news it snowed here today, so I'm just about out of patience with clouds of every kind ;)


-------------
SSC Round 1: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/g99-dead-space-mystery-emergency-a-coder_topic31769.html" rel="nofollow - Dead Space
MFC Final: The Roses Smelled of Copper



Replies:
Posted By: claviercat
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:07pm
Poured myself a big glass of wine! I found one word that needs to be changed after I submitted, but I'm going to take a little break before I fix it and resubmit (which I've never done before). If the wine makes me forget, eh.

-------------
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html


Posted By: Anansi
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:21pm
WINE

-------------
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch2-gr35-bad-elf-thriller_topic31155.html" rel="nofollow - SSC19 - R2: Bad Elf


https://bit.ly/35C2bAj" rel="nofollow - FF19 - R4: When Maapa Came


Posted By: northernwriter
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:26pm
What wine bar? 

I'm still writing!

Good luck, everyone!

-Alex


-------------
Short Screenplay R1 https://tinyurl.com/y5erb3k5" rel="nofollow - Little Miss 4th of July
Short Story R1 https://tinyurl.com/s6pjoau" rel="nofollow - The Anti-Wedding Planner


Posted By: taaaylor
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

What wine bar? 

I'm still writing!

Good luck, everyone!

-Alex

After getting some feedback from a friend, I'm back there writing with you! Good words :)


-------------
SSC Round 1: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/g99-dead-space-mystery-emergency-a-coder_topic31769.html" rel="nofollow - Dead Space
MFC Final: The Roses Smelled of Copper


Posted By: claviercat
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:13pm
Some late feedback just came in and I'm deciding whether to incorporate it or ignore it. I think I'll ignore most of it and incorporate some of it. My judgement gets fuzzy at this late stage, and last round I ended up making some beta-suggested changes that actually lost me points with the judges! Gotta go with my gut, which I hope I can still detect after this big glass of wine and more than 45 hours of clouds!

-------------
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html


Posted By: ruagray
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:51pm
I thought after writing micro fiction that coming back to a 1k limit would feel amazing, but once again I struggled to find an idea that I could smash and compress down enough. It also didn't help that 90% of my ideas were heavily depressing due to the cloud location. Most of my associations with clouds are very positive and uplifting, so of course my brain instead was like Ok, time to stomp some d*cks in the dirt.

-------------
SSC#1 - https://tinyurl.com/syh6znh" rel="nofollow - The Nonillustrious Medical Career of One Hans Kruger




Posted By: ellynmfx
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:27pm
And done!!! Slide me a bottle of Malbec PLEASE!
Every piece I've done for this challenge has been so different, and this is no exception. Very different style than my previous entries. However, I am happy I got it to exactly 1,000 words. Even if I don't win, the contest was so worth it as I got to experiment with four genres I never would have tried otherwise!

I'm sure you all know this - but this contests are incredibly addicting. This is my first NYC Midnight and I think I'm hooked. Good luck all!


-------------
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch4-gift-from-the-sky_topic31180.html" rel="nofollow - FF4: Gift from the Sky



Posted By: danjohnson
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:19pm
That was a rougher road than the previous rounds.

I got an idea shortly after the assignment, wrote 500 words, then scrapped it.

I got another idea later that night and wrote about 1000 words, then went to bed.

I woke up the next day, and realized that my new story was basically just the same idea as my round 3 story, made slightly worse by smooshing elements of my round 2 story into it, and that it only very loosely met the assignment criteria. Just before midnight, on Saturday night, I got my THIRD idea, and banged out a very messy 1049 words before calling it a night.

I've spent the day editing and refining, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to bail out of both of my previous ideas.

Cheers, all!


Posted By: SFC
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:22pm
Congrats to everyone who submitted, and for anyone still pushing in these last 45 minutes - YOU CAN DO IT! Clap

 I feel... pretty  "eh" about my story (but I think I'm just sick of looking at it). I found myself wishing they had pushed a genre on me, since, when left to my own devices, I am extremely indecisive! Aha. My go-to genre is horror, but I really didn't want to write that in a final round submission Confused I am very glad to have gotten something done though, and for the first time ever, I didn't have to cut anything. It finished itself at 960 words! Now I'm concerned they'll tell me I could have given a little more detail using that leftover word count or something Wink

I do have a question - when I made it to the final round of the Short Story challenge, they requested that we enter what genre the story was when we submitted by using a drop down menu - I didn't notice that here. Is it always like that for Flash or did they get rid of it?

Good luck to all of you, and I can't wait to check out what you wrote! xx


-------------
FFC- https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch3-g19-lavender-fields_topic30618.html" rel="nofollow - Lavender Fields


Posted By: ideallyowlish
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:01am
Is 5am too late for wine? Because that's what time it is where I am Confused I think I need it, if only to suppress the trauma of researching those goddamn clouds!

I genuinely thought I'd love the open genre, but I didn't anticipate how much choice paralysis would slow me down. I had maybe three ideas worth pursuing, but I kept vacillating between them all until waaaay too late for comfort. Finally settled on something I'm pretty happy with, or at least something I know I've had success with in the past. 

Looking forward to seeing how you all got on!


-------------
SSCR1 - https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic31909_post329946.html#329946" rel="nofollow - The Sodfather or something, I guess


Posted By: northernwriter
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:09am
Are we allowed to do the logline and title post? I'm super curious to see what everyone else wrote!

-------------
Short Screenplay R1 https://tinyurl.com/y5erb3k5" rel="nofollow - Little Miss 4th of July
Short Story R1 https://tinyurl.com/s6pjoau" rel="nofollow - The Anti-Wedding Planner


Posted By: taaaylor
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Are we allowed to do the logline and title post? I'm super curious to see what everyone else wrote!

Definitely! Just not the stories themselves yet. I started the thread a minute ago because I'm pretty dang excited too ;)


-------------
SSC Round 1: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/g99-dead-space-mystery-emergency-a-coder_topic31769.html" rel="nofollow - Dead Space
MFC Final: The Roses Smelled of Copper


Posted By: pash
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:35am
Well, I'm flying to Mexico tomorrow, so now I'm packing. WOULD DO TERRIBLE THINGS FOR WINE RIGHT NOW.

Can't wait to read what everyone came up with!!


-------------
SSC2020
https://tinyurl.com/shj9s27" rel="nofollow - R1G158: They Were Cheering
SSC19
https://tinyurl.com/ubyqwwa" rel="nofollow - R3G5:DOWN WITH DUDEBROS


Posted By: Anansi
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:10am
Resisted the urge to re-submit at 4 AM. After wine induced re-editing. 

I've made that mistake before...


-------------
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch2-gr35-bad-elf-thriller_topic31155.html" rel="nofollow - SSC19 - R2: Bad Elf


https://bit.ly/35C2bAj" rel="nofollow - FF19 - R4: When Maapa Came


Posted By: justmel
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:43am
I submitted mine at about 2:30 in the afternoon, not because I was completely satisfied with it but because I was just that sick of looking at it.  At 10:58 pm (one minute before deadline here in the Upper Midwest), I realized what the last line needed to be.  Frantically got the change done, double-checked my word count, and resubmitted with clumsy fingers and a pounding heart, thinking I'd gotten it in within milliseconds of the deadline-- but when the confirmation email came, it was time-stamped 11:01, so I'm assuming the resubmission will be rejected.  Why oh why couldn't my muse have come up with this idea literally two minutes sooner?  Ack.


Posted By: thee_gray_lady
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:23pm
Many pressure-induced mental breakdowns later.. it's done. And maybe terrible. Who cares? (It's me. I'm the one who cares.)

-------------
- thee_gray_lady
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic31170_post326495.html#326495" rel="nofollow - CH4, Afraid


Posted By: taaaylor
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by SFC SFC wrote:

Congrats to everyone who submitted, and for anyone still pushing in these last 45 minutes - YOU CAN DO IT! Clap

 I feel... pretty  "eh" about my story (but I think I'm just sick of looking at it). I found myself wishing they had pushed a genre on me, since, when left to my own devices, I am extremely indecisive! Aha. My go-to genre is horror, but I really didn't want to write that in a final round submission Confused I am very glad to have gotten something done though, and for the first time ever, I didn't have to cut anything. It finished itself at 960 words! Now I'm concerned they'll tell me I could have given a little more detail using that leftover word count or something Wink

I do have a question - when I made it to the final round of the Short Story challenge, they requested that we enter what genre the story was when we submitted by using a drop down menu - I didn't notice that here. Is it always like that for Flash or did they get rid of it?

Good luck to all of you, and I can't wait to check out what you wrote! xx


Congrats on finishing strong! I never thought finishing with extra words left over would be such a difficult problem, but I feel like it consumed way more of my time and energy to choose what to put in vs what to cut.

I was in the flash fic final last year, and we did not have to put in the genre. :) So by my whopping two years' of data it's always been that way. Well done making the final round of the SSC last year btw!


-------------
SSC Round 1: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/g99-dead-space-mystery-emergency-a-coder_topic31769.html" rel="nofollow - Dead Space
MFC Final: The Roses Smelled of Copper


Posted By: ellynmfx
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

I submitted mine at about 2:30 in the afternoon, not because I was completely satisfied with it but because I was just that sick of looking at it.  At 10:58 pm (one minute before deadline here in the Upper Midwest), I realized what the last line needed to be.  Frantically got the change done, double-checked my word count, and resubmitted with clumsy fingers and a pounding heart, thinking I'd gotten it in within milliseconds of the deadline-- but when the confirmation email came, it was time-stamped 11:01, so I'm assuming the resubmission will be rejected.  Why oh why couldn't my muse have come up with this idea literally two minutes sooner?  Ack.


Ugh!!!! I feel your pain - that's awful!! Curse our slowpoke muses!


-------------
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch4-gift-from-the-sky_topic31180.html" rel="nofollow - FF4: Gift from the Sky




Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net