Print Page | Close Window

Surprises of the Evening

Printed From: NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting
Category: GENERAL DISCUSSION
Forum Name: Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss NYC Midnight Screenwriting Competitions or Screenwriting in general.
URL: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=285
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Surprises of the Evening
Posted By: 2184pro
Subject: Surprises of the Evening
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 7:42pm
Three things happened to me at Midnight:

1. My computer crashed and I had to reboot just after the announcement.

2. My daughter woke up, vomiting.

3. I didn't advance.

Only one wasn't a surprise for me.

Congrats to all.

That's a wrap. Good night, everybody.

-------------
Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro

Replies:
Posted By: Willie
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

3. I didn't advance.

Congrats to all.

Hopefully your daughter was just nervous awaiting the results with the rest of us.

Posted By: huxcanux
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 8:00pm
I'm sorry to hear that some of the surprises were nastier than others. Me, I only felt like puking after seeing that I didn't even make the top 5, but I'll just have to hope for better luck next year!

Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

3. I didn't advance.

Congrats to all.

Hopefully your daughter was just nervous awaiting the results with the rest of us.

Posted By: BarbaraFL
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 1:56am
I think the other script I was writing that week would have made the top five...but it wasn't suspense. It was better suited to scifi. So no surprises here, the one I turned in was my own second choice, haha

Posted By: trike
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:47am
You're all winners in my book. Clap

Okay, now that the "up with people" thing is dispensed with, let's talk turkey. Wink Of the known scripts that placed, do you agree with the results?

In my heat (10 - Sci-fi/video games), I expected the 3rd runner-up ("Deja Vous All Over Again") to win.  I liked the purity of his story.  Re-reading mine, I see where I can make some improvements, but for a speed-writing example, I'm pretty happy with it.

I really like the winning script in heat 10 ("Bloodline") and I expected him to place, but I was surprised he won.  The only reason for that is because the story isn't strictly about video games, which I thought might ding his chances a bit.  Just goes to show that a solid screenplay trumps slavish attention to the assignment -- good lesson to keep in mind for next year.

It looks like the other two scripts in our heat weren't posted, so I can't comment on them.

I was surprised that "Fahrenheit 5'11"" didn't win in heat 5, as I think it was one of the best screenplays I read.

On the other hand, I am completely unsurprised that heat 1 had co-winners with "Belief in Cod" and "Feedback."  Those were both good stories with almost exactly the same take the suibject.  Punny title, comedy-horror style, wacky dialect, same reveal at the end.  I sure would've had a hard time choosing between the two.

-------------
Doug
--
Let me have it! (Script reviews, that is.)
http://www.nycmidnight.com/forums/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=179&PN=1 - Game On -- Heat 10

Posted By: iwriteplays
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 7:49am
Originally posted by trike trike wrote:

I was surprised that "Fahrenheit 5'11"" didn't win in heat 5, as I think it was one of the best screenplays I read.

Wow, thanks for being such a fan of my script! It's nice to know that someone enjoyed it :)

Maybe the judges knew that I had a wedding to attend on the 23rd, and decided to spare me the juggling act of trying to write a script AND travel to Wisconsin all in one day. That must be it. Wink

-------------
Final round: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/261768/deadletteroffice.pdf

Posted By: Hairy Lime
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 7:51am

Okay, now that the "up with people" thing is dispensed with, let's talk turkey. Wink Of the known scripts that placed, do you agree with the results?
I think there were some egregious mistakes on the part of the judges. But that's all I'll say.

-------------
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - http://swamptales.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/12-plush.pdf - PLUSH

Posted By: Chris Messineo
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Hairy Lime Hairy Lime wrote:

I think there were some egregious mistakes on the part of the judges. But that's all I'll say.
The judges are just picking the scripts they llike the best (which is what they are supposed to do).

It's not a science.  After all, judging art is entirely subjective.

Chris

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 8:32am
That's why I said "egregious", Chris.

There were some choices that went far beyond personal preference and ventured into the realm of incompetence.

Everyone knows Rembrandt is a better painter than Thomas Kinkaide even if Kinkaide's paintings are popular these days (god knows why).

-------------
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - http://swamptales.us/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/12-plush.pdf - PLUSH

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:26am

There were some choices that went far beyond personal preference and ventured into the realm of incompetence.

Everyone knows Rembrandt is a better painter than Thomas Kinkaide even if Kinkaide's paintings are popular these days (god knows why).

Interesting points.  There was a similar discussion in these forums last year after the online film contest.  It actually got quite heated.

I think the problem with your argument is this "everyone knows Rembrandy is better than Kinkaide".  I'm not saying I disagree, but there are simply no rules about stuff like that.  If I ask the guy I work with which movie is better "Citizen Kane" or "Old School" he will pick "Old School" in a second.  Is he wrong.  I think so, but that doesn't make me right.

I agree there were some odd choices in the finals.  I actually scored every film in the contest (for fun).  For the most part I agreed with the judges, yet there were some choices and omissions that I thought were odd.  However, that's what happens when people try to grade art.

Chris

Posted By: sck5000
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:32am
It's clear to me that there were issues with the competence of the judges. I should not have placed at all.

On the other hand, maybe all the other entries in my heat were long, ranting manifestos, scripts refuting the plausibility of the Magic Bullet Theory, or disguised Teletubby episodes.

By the way, was it just me or did anyone else notice that the city of Toronto was over-represented in the runner-up lists. So there you go folks. Improve your chances next year, move up here. Enjoy our pseudo-European liberalism, free health care, and clearly superior scriptwriting environment.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

Interesting points.  There was a similar discussion in these forums last year after the online film contest.  It actually got quite heated.

I think the problem with your argument is this "everyone knows Rembrandy is better than Kinkaide".  I'm not saying I disagree, but there are simply no rules about stuff like that.  If I ask the guy I work with which movie is better "Citizen Kane" or "Old School" he will pick "Old School" in a second.  Is he wrong.  I think so, but that doesn't make me right.

I agree there were some odd choices in the finals.  I actually scored every film in the contest (for fun).  For the most part I agreed with the judges, yet there were some choices and omissions that I thought were bizarre.  However, that's what happens when people try to grade art.

Chris
Okay, so my example wasn't great, because "painting" is a pretty broad "genre" ... but I will admit OLD SCHOOL is a better comedy than CITIZEN KANE and since we were writing within specified genres, I think it's a little narrower than that.

I do understand that omissions occur. In my own heat the 2nd place script (1st runner up who advanced to the finals) appears to have used identity theft as "plagiarism". This suggests the judges don't know the meaning of the word! Plagiarism is the theft of words or ideas, not identity. Now the writer may have integrated plagiarism deftly into the narrative and left it out of the logline without hurting himself since the logline was only 10% of the score this year. I don't know. But it struck me as particularly odd.

The winning script in my heat sounds fantastic from the logline. If the story holds up to the logline I can see why that person won.

-------------

Posted By: Rusty
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:06am
I wanna read this one from heat 15, horror/tears.

C'mon Clark...

"Helpless"  -  Clark Kline (Frederick, MD, USA) - A limbless man in a basement can only listen as his mother is brutally attacked above.

Posted By: durden7
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:53am
Loglines were worth 10%? I must have gotten a zero for that one. My logline was dull.

I'm bad at them.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:55am
And you still advanced. Bastard.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:59am
Hahahahaha. Okay. I'm Laughing out loud.

Hairy Lime, that was a perfect post!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:15pm

I totally agree with you, but let's fight about it.

Rambrendt is teh suxxor, dood!!!1!!one!  He never paints tiny houses!  Never!  kinkaide is all about the tiny house --that's real art, man!  get it straight periode end of story thats right i said it WHAT

(Did I do that correctly?)

-------------
Doug
--
http://www.nycmidnight.com/forums/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=179&PN=1 - Game On -- Heat 10

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by sck5000 sck5000 wrote:

It's clear to me that there were issues with the competence of the judges. I should not have placed at all.

On the other hand, maybe all the other entries in my heat were long, ranting manifestos, scripts refuting the plausibility of the Magic Bullet Theory, or disguised Teletubby episodes.

Don't be hatin' on the 'tubs, yo.

-------------
Doug
--

Posted By: Jerry
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

I wanna read this one from heat 15, horror/tears.

C'mon Clark...

"Helpless"  -  Clark Kline (Frederick, MD, USA) - A limbless man in a basement can only listen as his mother is brutally attacked above.

I want to read that one too, since it kicked my script's butt! (Binky)

Jerry

Posted By: ABEAR111
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 4:13pm
Gotta say, Hairy you're not one of my favorite people on here but I'm blown away that your script did not advance and I was REALLY hoping the Cosmonauts would be in there too.  Chris, I think you took some chances that should have paid off, but you never know.  It's a tough business for just that reason, everything has to line up at just the right time for the magic to happen.  Keep it up and it will.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 7:12pm

Don't be hatin' on the 'tubs, yo.

You're right, the other scripts were undoubtedly fine. It was probably the flowers I sent to the judges, the Belgian chocolates or the Swedish "masseuse". But damn it, 3rd runner up. I knew I should have sprung for Mistress Helga. She cost more but she's double-jointed.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 6:55am
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

Chris, I think you took some chances that should have paid off, but you never know.  It's a tough business for just that reason, everything has to line up at just the right time for the magic to happen.  Keep it up and it will.
For me it's not as much about the official results as it is about having fun and creating something new.  Sure it's great to win, but it was pretty cool just to take part in the race (if you know what I mean).

Chris

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 8:41am
The forum really makes it.  I've learned a lot that I'll carry with me and put into practice.  Well worth the price of admission.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 8:42am

Gotta say, Hairy you're not one of my favorite people on here but I'm blown away that your script did not advance

This is a truly bizarre statement. Why on earth would you feel the need to preface this with "you're not one of my favorite people on here"? What did I ever do to you, Bear?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 9:21am
Yeah. that is a little bizarre. For a second I thought you two had an argument in another post.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 9:27am
Maybe he doesn't like limes?

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 10:14am
I think I am going to start prefacing all my comments like that. There's a kind of sublime genius to it -- it's like the reverse of an insult veiled in a compliment.

Gotta say, Chris, you're not one of my favorite people on here, but that's kind of funny.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 10:45am
It is an interesting way to make a point. It sort of insults you, then says something nice.

So conflicting!

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 11:00am
Originally posted by durden7 durden7 wrote:

It is an interesting way to make a point. It sort of insults you, then says something nice.

So conflicting!

It's clearly meant to augment the compliment by introducing it with this sort of contrary proviso -- this suggestion that the compliment means even more because it is not just given lightly from a friend or even someone neutral, but offered up from below by the grudging respect of an enemy.  And then when it comes out of nowhere as it did, apropos of nothing, it suggests the existence of something darker that none of us are even privvy to -- some long war that has been being meted out behind the scenes in messages between these two that the rest of us didn't even understand and now have to consider in a new light. Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script?

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:13pm
Well, to add to this post - I felt that the following 5 could have easily won their heat:

Dead Beat
Princess Maggie
Fahrenheit 5'11"
Night Music
Operation Lollipop

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by durden7 durden7 wrote:

So conflicting!

It's clearly meant to augment the compliment by introducing it with this sort of contrary proviso -- this suggestion that the compliment means even more because it is not just given lightly from a friend or even someone neutral, but offered up from below by the grudging respect of an enemy.  And then when it comes out of nowhere as it did, apropos of nothing, it suggests the existence of something darker that none of us are even privvy to -- some long war that has been being meted out behind the scenes in messages between these two that the rest of us didn't even understand and now have to consider in a new light. Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script?

Using that many words isn't my favorite, but I can see where you're going with that.  Despite what Hairy might say about you, you're okay.

-------------
Doug
--

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:33pm

Thank you. You seem like a very nice man and many attractive girls like small penises.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:34am

Gotta say, Hairy you're not one of my favorite people on here but I'm blown away that your script did not advance

This is a truly bizarre statement. Why on earth would you feel the need to preface this with "you're not one of my favorite people on here"? What did I ever do to you, Bear?

Hairy, I'm really touched that being one of my favorites means so much to you, perhaps we could do lunch.  In the meantime, please know that I  meant this as no insult.  I feel as though I have "clicked" with a few people on this site and these I would move into my "favorites" category (which means absolutely nothing to anyone but myself), certainly you will agree that you and I have not "clicked".  My "truly bizarre statement" was meant to convey that you and I have not "clicked"  and thus my opinion that your script should have advanced was based PURELY on the quality I obviously feel your script possessed.  (Rustom, whose script I also commented on, is one of my favorites.  See how that works?)

If you do feel as though you should be one of my favorites, then I suppose it would be insulting for me to say that you are not and I certainly appologize for that (though somehow I feel that this is not the case.)  Regardless, please forgive my statement, you are a truly talented writer with strong opinions, all of which I do not always agree with - but hey this ain't Iran - and I wish you the best.  (Oh, hell, my appologies to any Iranians out there, this is not meant to insult you, only to state the current policies of the sitting regime).

Man, let's see, so far I've offended Mormons, Hairy, the Iranian government, and that guy who cursed at me because I chastised him for encouraging the theft of software when it wasn't him but some other guy.  To recap, again I am sorry to everyone except for the Iranian government. 

Oh, yeah, and Rustom, the fact that you are "one of my favorites on this site" had nothing to do with my proclaimation that your script should have advanced, so please do not get offended by my having qualified you as such.

If I left anyone else out, my appoligies as well.

WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:37am

Thank you. You seem like a very nice man and many attractive girls like small penises.

Could you post their phone numbers -- for a friend of mine.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:39am
Originally posted by sck5000Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script? 
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>[/QUOTE sck5000Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script?

[/QUOTE wrote:

Believe me, if I knew what you were talking about I would have.

Believe me, if I knew what you were talking about I would have.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:51am

ABear111,

We're going to have start calling you "Mr. Controversy". Smile

Thanks for keeping the forums interesting.

Chris

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

ABear111,

We're going to have start calling you "Mr. Controversy". Smile

Thanks for keeping the forums interesting.

Chris

C'mon Chris, say it, I'm one of your favorites on here, aren't I?

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 11:08am
This thread gets funnier every hour I read it.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 2:57pm

Well, to add to this post - I felt that the following 5 could have easily won their heat:

Dead Beat
Princess Maggie
Fahrenheit 5'11"
Night Music
Operation Lollipop

I'm interested in other opinions on scripts that maybe should have or could have moved on... "Surprises of the Evening" took a strange turn toward small appendages.

Bill

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 4:28pm
It's hard to tell without all the scripts at our disposal, but I was pretty certain that Night Music and Operation Lollipop would move on.

Jerry

Posted By: J_Fox
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 5:03pm

Dead Beat

Princess Maggie

Fahrenheit 5'11"

Night Music

Operation Lollipop

Thanks, Willie! Your free iPod will be in the mail as soon you complete the other 19 E-Z Offers required.

Fox

-------------
https://bit.ly/2021SSC_CH1GR29" rel="nofollow - 2021 SSC Ch1 G29
https://bit.ly/2021SSC_CH2GR29" rel="nofollow - 2021 SSC Ch2 G29

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 5:44pm

I'm interested in other opinions on scripts that maybe should have or could have moved on... "Surprises of the Evening" took a strange turn toward small appendages.

Bill

This topic has become a bit too controversial, even for me.  Everyone has their own opinion, most of whom are not going to voice them here because to do so is pretty much telling the people who actually did win the category that they did not deserve to and other people in that category that they just weren't good enough.  Opinions are like those appendages you referred to, everbody's got one or more but it's not always cool to go around showing them.
Did I say that right, Bartender?

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 6:37pm

Hairy, I'm really touched that being one of my favorites means so much to you, perhaps we could do lunch.  In the meantime, please know that I  meant this as no insult.  I feel as though I have "clicked" with a few people on this site and these I would move into my "favorites" category (which means absolutely nothing to anyone but myself), certainly you will agree that you and I have not "clicked".  My "truly bizarre statement" was meant to convey that you and I have not "clicked"  and thus my opinion that your script should have advanced was based PURELY on the quality I obviously feel your script possessed.  (Rustom, whose script I also commented on, is one of my favorites.  See how that works?)

If you do feel as though you should be one of my favorites, then I suppose it would be insulting for me to say that you are not and I certainly appologize for that (though somehow I feel that this is not the case.)  Regardless, please forgive my statement, you are a truly talented writer with strong opinions, all of which I do not always agree with - but hey this ain't Iran - and I wish you the best.  (Oh, hell, my appologies to any Iranians out there, this is not meant to insult you, only to state the current policies of the sitting regime).

Man, let's see, so far I've offended Mormons, Hairy, the Iranian government, and that guy who cursed at me because I chastised him for encouraging the theft of software when it wasn't him but some other guy.  To recap, again I am sorry to everyone except for the Iranian government. 

Oh, yeah, and Rustom, the fact that you are "one of my favorites on this site" had nothing to do with my proclaimation that your script should have advanced, so please do not get offended by my having qualified you as such.

If I left anyone else out, my appoligies as well.

We didn't connect?! What do you call our half drunk early morning daliances behind the dumpster? Did I mean nothing to you? Am I just a piece of meat for you to toy with and consume like so much old trash? And here I thought we really had something.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 7:32pm

Did I say that right, Bartender?

You made me proud.

Chris

Posted By: Rusty
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 3:04am

Post announcement bitchiness does not go well with forum etiquette guys. We need to really start slinging some good ole' mother earth premium grade manure at each other.

On a different note, I felt that a majority of scripts that won had a common element to them and that is actual production.

Most of them can be made easily and in a nominal budget and NYC midnight being a film making competition as well I think the judges have been looking at that factor real close too.

I think any of those shorts would be a good calling card for a fledgling director or film-maker.

Even the sci-fi ones can be done with affordable cgi and animation. Anyway, that is what i feel the others had the edge with.

What say you guys?

Oh! and Charlie a.k.a. Abear1111 I never knew that I was your favorite? Now I feel guilty for not living up to your expectations and not making past round one.

I felt that the judges realised I was laying down the comedy a bit too thick and the divorce was not as clear.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 3:15am

On a different note, I felt that a majority of scripts that won had a common element to them and that is actual production.

Interesting theory, but I don't think that's true. Last year's winner's first round script this year has a cast of hundreds and about 20 locations as well as a tractor trailer rolling over on the interstate and various other high cost/difficult scenarios to execute.

My 1st round short from last year that sent me to the finals was set in Cuba with a bullfighting scene and a fair amoung of CGI required for the climax.

-------------

Posted By: wenonah
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 3:27am
you could have made mine on a budget of krispy kremes Unhappy

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:13am
Originally posted by wenonah wenonah wrote:

you could have made mine on a budget of krispy kremes Unhappy

LOL.  I knew you weren't going to give up on us, Wenonah.

Posted By: J_Fox
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:15am
Mine would've required no FX at all. Assuming you found an actual window that was a door to the fairy world. Surely there's one of those somewhere in NYC.

-------------
https://bit.ly/2021SSC_CH1GR29" rel="nofollow - 2021 SSC Ch1 G29
https://bit.ly/2021SSC_CH2GR29" rel="nofollow - 2021 SSC Ch2 G29

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:16am
 [/QUOTE]

We didn't connect?! What do you call our half drunk early morning daliances behind the dumpster? Did I mean nothing to you? Am I just a piece of meat for you to toy with and consume like so much old trash? And here I thought we really had something.
    [/QUOTE]

When one person (me) was completely passed out drunk and the other (you)was completely sober, that does not make us both "half drunk".

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:17am
Originally posted by J_Fox J_Fox wrote:

Mine would've required no FX at all. Assuming you found an actualy window that was a door to the fairy world. Surely there's one of those somewhere in NYC.

Watch the controversy!

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:19am

Oh! and Charlie a.k.a. Abear1111 I

It's Abear111.  Watch it, Rusty, you're sliding down the list.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:31am

Post announcement bitchiness does not go well with forum etiquette guys. We need to really start slinging some good ole' mother earth premium grade manure at each other.

Most of them can be made easily and in a nominal budget and NYC midnight being a film making competition as well I think the judges have been looking at that factor real close too.

I think any of those shorts would be a good calling card for a fledgling director or film-maker.

Even the sci-fi ones can be done with affordable cgi and animation. Anyway, that is what i feel the others had the edge with.

What say you guys?

Oh! and Charlie a.k.a. Abear1111 I never knew that I was your favorite? Now I feel guilty for not living up to your expectations and not making past round one.

I felt that the judges realised I was laying down the comedy a bit too thick and the divorce was not as clear.

Honestly, when I first saw the results I was pissed, and had I not been on this forum all along I'd probably have just written it all off.  But after a little cooling period and inward thinking on the comments my script received from you guys, I know that I had problems with excessive exposition and bordered on political incorrectness, either of which are enough to keep me out of placing.  And you know what - this way I have learned two valuable lessons that would have been completely lost to me had I advanced.  I will definately take this with me, try to cut down on the exposition with everything I write and consider whether what I have written might be offensive in ways in which I had no intention of "creating controversy".

So, in the end, losing - with the script that I entered - has actually provided more value to me than winning would have.  And I have this forum to thank for it.

Okay, I'm getting off the soap box now.  Hairy, meet me behind the dumpster.

Posted By: projectdan
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 6:28am
I actually would be kind of okay about it if someone said I didn't deserve to move on or that my script was terrible.  Plenty of people gave me some hefty criticism when I originally posted my script and I was really glad to take it in stride and try to learn from their comments.  Plus, if someone said something completely disparaging without any attempt to qualify it, I probably wouldn't pay them much mind anyway.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 6:29am

Dead Beat
Princess Maggie
Fahrenheit 5'11"
Night Music
Operation Lollipop

Bill

That's an interesting comment from a guy whose screen name is "Willie."

-------------
Doug
--

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 7:57am
By no means am I saying any winner should not have won, the 5 that I mentioned I felt were equal to, and could have... "should have or could have" was a mistake on my part, and a bad choice of words.  I meant no offense or controversy.

There were many quality scripts that were posted, and I wouldn't want to choose which ones belong.  I enjoyed the process.  It was a good deal of fun.

Bill

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 8:11am
I appreciate the kudos on my script, but the truth is the top 2 scripts in my heat weren't posted. They may have both been stellar.

-------------

Posted By: Requiem
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 11:27am
Haha, I had a good laugh reading this thread.

Just got back from vacation, still reeling from not making the finals. Thanks to those who've name-dropped 'Operation Lollipop', I appreciate the sentiment but, deep down, I never really expected to make the cut this year.

I feel bad for not reading more of the scripts that were posted but, of those I've read, the following were my favourites:

Binky - I didn't read any others from this heat but I cannot believe this one didn't make the cut.

Arousing in Strange Housing - again, I don't think I read the competition but I thought this was better than my suspense script that made it through last year.

As for the suggestion that the judges have a budget in mind when picking the winners, I disagree. My script last year had a few locations, plenty of extras and a big explosion at the end. Hence, it got plenty of attention from producers, many of whom liked it but said they couldn't justify a budget like that for a 20 minute short.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 12:03pm
'

Posted By: Rainy Night
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

Haha, I had a good laugh reading this thread.

Just got back from vacation, still reeling from not making the finals. Thanks to those who've name-dropped 'Operation Lollipop', I appreciate the sentiment but, deep down, I never really expected to make the cut this year.

I feel bad for not reading more of the scripts that were posted but, of those I've read, the following were my favourites:

Binky - I didn't read any others from this heat but I cannot believe this one didn't make the cut.

Arousing in Strange Housing - again, I don't think I read the competition but I thought this was better than my suspense script that made it through last year.

As for the suggestion that the judges have a budget in mind when picking the winners, I disagree. My script last year had a few locations, plenty of extras and a big explosion at the end. Hence, it got plenty of attention from producers, many of whom liked it but said they couldn't justify a budget like that for a 20 minute short.

I thought Binky wasan excellent script also - I was sure that it would move on.

-------------

http://www.geocities.com/rainynightproductions/Point_of_Origin_Final.pdf - Heat 30 Drama - A Map

Posted By: johnnyd
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 2:02pm
I really dug Binky and Family Duty; I was disappointed neither of those got recognized.

Posted By: 2184pro
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 4:50am
Binky is a frightening story. I loved it as much as I hated it. That's a compliment, by the way. I only hated it because it scared me. It's a very creepy, unsettling, don't turn off the light kind of story. A monster of a different look as it were.

Regardless of its standing in this contest it should be produced. That story has good parts for actors, worthy challenges for a crew and would be a great line on a resume for the director and writer.

I might even watch it. Even though it SCARES ME!!!!!

-------------
Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 7:36am
Wow--thanks for all the nice words about Binky!  I'm disappointed it didn't make it, of course, but the script that made it to the finals wasn't posted, and I'm sure it's really awesome.  No doubt the judges made the right decision.

All the comments given to me on the forum were super helpful, so I don't consider this a "loss" in a traditional sense--I'm applying all the suggestions, in a general way, to a new feature screenplay I'm working on.  I've learned so much from this competition, because of the wonderful forums--it was a great experience, despite the result.  So thank you everyone!

Jerry

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Jerry Jerry wrote:

All the comments given to me on the forum were super helpful, so I don't consider this a "loss" in a traditional sense--I'm applying all the suggestions, in a general way, to a new feature screenplay I'm working on.  I've learned so much from this competition, because of the wonderful forums--it was a great experience, despite the result.  So thank you everyone!

Jerry

I'm with Jerry on this: sharing the scripts and getting feedback were extremely valuable, and seeing real-time responses to queries was very cool.  The intersection of "this is what I get from it" and "this is what I meant by it" -- for others as well as my own -- was helpful in seeing what kinds of storytelling worked and what didn't.

-------------
Doug
--

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net