NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Premature SSC22 excitement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 11:12pm
Bittersweet to get the honorable mention but there's always next year. Congrats to everyone moving ahead.
Aggie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:04am
4th place! I'm busy for half the available time, so I'll be having a very long night
SSR3 RomCom/noise pollution/keynote speaker Landing in Love
FFR1 SciFi/ready room/porthole Damn Cat
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:28am
Congrats to everyone moving on and especially those who may be going into their 3rd weekend of writing after FF R1, MF R2, and now SS finals. I do not envy you!
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:37am
Originally posted by NERdling NERdling wrote:

Congrats to everyone moving on and especially those who may be going into their 3rd weekend of writing after FF R1, MF R2, and now SS finals. I do not envy you!

Got 3rd! And, as you said, after FF R1 and MF100 R2, I'm glad I'll have July to recover. It's been a very NYCM month. Hopefully I still have some ideas left for Saturday. 
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:52am
After all that I forgot until 8am (the results come out at 5am here)!

I didn't place this time. I was excited about the idea of making it to the final round, but 'twas not to be! The competition is so fierce, especially at this point. Massive congratulations to all of those moving on!
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:41am
Anyone else get judge 2089? They REALLY wrote a lot of feedback. On both good and bad parts. :)

SS 3 Sunnydaze Motel
100 Once Magic Things
FlashNancy-Drewing

taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by JanetM JanetM wrote:

Anyone else get judge 2089? They REALLY wrote a lot of feedback. On both good and bad parts. :)

1846 was great for this too! Really made up for my other two judges who 100% phoned it in... E.g. 1991 who offered me less than 100 words that was full of typos. Really professional.

Just to show I'm not exaggerating:

Quote This was a tremendous display of some truly creative ambition. The utilization of original science fiction elements did a wonderful job of making the thrilling action feel unique with it's own stakes. Nicely done.

While I greatly admire this great swing for the fences, I can't help but feel like the story might be biting off more than it can chew. What feels like an entire novels worth of ideas an exposition definitely pushes at the boundaries of how much story 1500 words can hold.

Typos happen but damn dude this is a bad look and really upsetting to receive after not placing.

Edited by taaaylor - 23 Jun 2022 at 12:10pm
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:39pm
YES! judges should REALLY check their reviews. Especially since they know their comments will be carefully read (and discussed- though maybe they're not told about that part!) It definitely shows carelessness.

Your story was amazing, Taylor. I'm sure you'll find home for it. There's always some baffling omissions. A number of my favourites did not get any love. :( 
SS 3 Sunnydaze Motel
100 Once Magic Things
FlashNancy-Drewing

td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:43pm
I had #2089 as well--500+ words of feedback for a 1500-word story!  I thought it was some of the most thoughtful, well-considered work I've seen from any judge, and that includes finals judging, which you would think was the best of the best.  I dropped a note to Charlie saying I thought he/she did a great job.  We probably don't recognize the good work of some judges enough, because we're usually hyper-focused on complaining about the ones that ding us (and rightfully so, in many cases.)

Trey
SSC 2022 R4 A Worthy Investment
FFC '20- 7th, SSC '18- 2nd, FFC '17- 1st
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

I had #2089 as well--500+ words of feedback for a 1500-word story!  I thought it was some of the most thoughtful, well-considered work I've seen from any judge, and that includes finals judging, which you would think was the best of the best.  I dropped a note to Charlie saying I thought he/she did a great job.  We probably don't recognize the good work of some judges enough, because we're usually hyper-focused on complaining about the ones that ding us (and rightfully so, in many cases.)

Trey

All three of my judges gave *fantastic* feedback on both positive elements and constructive critique. I’m def filling out the form to commend them.  I had 2029, 2185, and 2151.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic