NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission wine bar: how did it go?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-submission wine bar: how did it go?
    Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:48pm

Congrats on making it over the finish line. How are you feeling? How did your weekend go?

Personally I'm fried and obsessing about whether or not to use my last 16 extra words. But after lots of brutally bad drafts, I think I'm happy with how it came out.

In related news it snowed here today, so I'm just about out of patience with clouds of every kind ;)
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:07pm
Poured myself a big glass of wine! I found one word that needs to be changed after I submitted, but I'm going to take a little break before I fix it and resubmit (which I've never done before). If the wine makes me forget, eh.
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:21pm
WINE
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:26pm
What wine bar? 

I'm still writing!

Good luck, everyone!

-Alex
Short Screenplay R1 Little Miss 4th of July
Short Story R1 The Anti-Wedding Planner
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

What wine bar? 

I'm still writing!

Good luck, everyone!

-Alex

After getting some feedback from a friend, I'm back there writing with you! Good words :)
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:13pm
Some late feedback just came in and I'm deciding whether to incorporate it or ignore it. I think I'll ignore most of it and incorporate some of it. My judgement gets fuzzy at this late stage, and last round I ended up making some beta-suggested changes that actually lost me points with the judges! Gotta go with my gut, which I hope I can still detect after this big glass of wine and more than 45 hours of clouds!
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html
ruagray View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ruagray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:51pm
I thought after writing micro fiction that coming back to a 1k limit would feel amazing, but once again I struggled to find an idea that I could smash and compress down enough. It also didn't help that 90% of my ideas were heavily depressing due to the cloud location. Most of my associations with clouds are very positive and uplifting, so of course my brain instead was like Ok, time to stomp some d*cks in the dirt.
ellynmfx View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ellynmfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:27pm
And done!!! Slide me a bottle of Malbec PLEASE!
Every piece I've done for this challenge has been so different, and this is no exception. Very different style than my previous entries. However, I am happy I got it to exactly 1,000 words. Even if I don't win, the contest was so worth it as I got to experiment with four genres I never would have tried otherwise!

I'm sure you all know this - but this contests are incredibly addicting. This is my first NYC Midnight and I think I'm hooked. Good luck all!
danjohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:19pm
That was a rougher road than the previous rounds.

I got an idea shortly after the assignment, wrote 500 words, then scrapped it.

I got another idea later that night and wrote about 1000 words, then went to bed.

I woke up the next day, and realized that my new story was basically just the same idea as my round 3 story, made slightly worse by smooshing elements of my round 2 story into it, and that it only very loosely met the assignment criteria. Just before midnight, on Saturday night, I got my THIRD idea, and banged out a very messy 1049 words before calling it a night.

I've spent the day editing and refining, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to bail out of both of my previous ideas.

Cheers, all!
SFC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:22pm
Congrats to everyone who submitted, and for anyone still pushing in these last 45 minutes - YOU CAN DO IT! Clap

I feel... pretty  "eh" about my story (but I think I'm just sick of looking at it). I found myself wishing they had pushed a genre on me, since, when left to my own devices, I am extremely indecisive! Aha. My go-to genre is horror, but I really didn't want to write that in a final round submission Confused I am very glad to have gotten something done though, and for the first time ever, I didn't have to cut anything. It finished itself at 960 words! Now I'm concerned they'll tell me I could have given a little more detail using that leftover word count or something Wink

I do have a question - when I made it to the final round of the Short Story challenge, they requested that we enter what genre the story was when we submitted by using a drop down menu - I didn't notice that here. Is it always like that for Flash or did they get rid of it?

Good luck to all of you, and I can't wait to check out what you wrote! xx

Edited by SFC - 15 Dec 2019 at 11:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic