FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

I'm honestly shocked as hell that I submitted this round. "Thriller" has now joined "mystery" as the categories I never, ever want again. It is legit impossible for me to do in 2k words. I cut so much I'm pretty sure the story doesn't even have enough left to make sense.

But.

I'm f**king done, let the chips fall where they may.

That's how I feel, ha! 

You did it though, congrats!
SSC R3: Call of the Void (HM)
SSC R2: Cinna's List (Thriller) (2nd)
SSC R1: Angie (Suspense) (1st)
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

But you did it!  Way to go!

Thanks. I'm glad I finished it. That is at least putting a pin in it.
FFC2019 C3 G01 | Moonstone Madness
SSP2019 C1 G20 | Doesn't Have the Range
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

Bravo that man.

Sigh. We'll see. There's a much better story in it, but it was a grind to get it out. I did everything *but* this story.

And thanks.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

Yay!! Glad you submitted! ClapClapClap

Thanks to SootFoot5 who pestered me to GIT ER DONE. She is my best ever mentor and advisor.
Ennazus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ennazus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:26pm
Same. I had to cut 440 words. It was tough. Thankful for beta readers. Still in this case, the story was stronger just a little longer. 

Ugh, but I realized I modified a really effective line Inshould have left alone. Oh well. At this point, it’s the best kind of story... a finished one! 
Read my 1st Round story titled Nothing Last Forever Except ...
Read my 2nd Round story titled Power Ranger
DeLynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:19pm
I'm in H18 with you. Can't wait to see what you came up with; I loved "Caligula's Horse". Clap

R1/H102 1st:
Smack
R2/H18: Tilly's Run

DeLynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:08pm
Ouch I had so much fun with mine I had to kill 500+ words worth of "darlings."Cry I decided to save the lengthier version for future use.Fortunately, I like both. The longer one provides the reader greater visual detail. The short one is snappy.

Best of luck!

R1/H102 1st:
Smack
R2/H18: Tilly's Run

pipartuuli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipartuuli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:01pm
I'm still not sure if I regret not reworking the story more. I completed the majority of it Friday evening, then tweaked it minimally on Saturday (mostly because I had family drop in on me fairly unexpectedly... yaaaay) and submitted it that afternoon. Then decided that, while I loved the concept I'd come up with, my execution had been terrible, so I rewrote the entire thing Sunday morning and submitted the final version then and haven't looked at it since.

I definitely don't like it as much as my round 1 entry. I think my interpretation of the topic (Heat 12 - Historical fiction/A thief/A journey) was as best I could do in the time allotted. I really struggled because, honestly, I could already think of SO MANY stories that use those elements that I found it hard to come up with something original. I also am afraid that I didn't add enough "historical flavor" to it; I think I mention lanterns and wood torches and Plague miasmas, but that was about it.  Eek.

If anything gets me through to the next round, it'll have to be my spin on the topic assigned because I certainly don't feel as though it'll be my raw wordsmithing abilities alone.

Still, even if I don't make it, I'm tickled to bits to have come in first place in round 1 as someone who has not only never participated in this competition before, but who has never participated in any writing competition before, so advancing at this point would have just been icing on an already delicious cake! 
Round 1, Heat 141 - Gumballs
ajacunski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajacunski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:03am
I was incredibly sick this weekend -- struggled through the story for days, got it done at 10:30pm after two full days on the damn thing, submitted, and.... 

Woke up this morning and realized that I hadn't formatted the damn thing. :(

I had almost no chance making it into the final as it was, but now I think it's totally impossible.

Sigh. 
Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:52am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I managed to get extremely sick over all 3 days of the contest. Spent-most-of-Saturday-night-at-the-ER sort of sick. My liver is a bit on fire because (most likely) hepatitis A has taken up residency in me. I'm amazed I got a story out at all. Couldn't have done it without my best friend helping me figure it all out, honestly.

Congrats to everyone who has made it across the finish line, and good luck to anyone using these last couple hours to make it <3 It's been such a joy writing with you all

OMG, that's horrible. I hope you start feeling better soon and you're a total miracle for even getting it done!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic