NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-submission Bar
    Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:02am
Two days, lots of Betas. lots of proofing for tiny mistakes. The first time in a lot of contests where it was my only focus. Finished early. Had an insight from a Beta reader, and revamped some things and was finally happy with it. And after reading all the posts about disqualifications and paying attention, I get a prompt wrong. 

So, I adjusted, not well, but the best I could and got the final version in with four minutes to spare.

Time to head to the bar...or the kitchen for something very strong.

And you, my friends? 
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:07am
Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

Two days, lots of Betas. lots of proofing for tiny mistakes. The first time in a lot of contests where it was my only focus. Finished early. Had an insight from a Beta reader, and revamped some things and was finally happy with it. And after reading all the posts about disqualifications and paying attention, I get a prompt wrong. 

So, I adjusted, not well, but the best I could and got the final version in with four minutes to spare.

Time to head to the bar...or the kitchen for something very strong.

And you, my friends? 

I did not have a beta after I wrote the final half of the story in 3 hours before deadline, with 11 seconds left on the clock I realized I had forgotten to include the police tape. Oh, well, my first DQ. As it was going to get a QD for not being too much a spy anyway, I can live with it.
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:09am
That was the most I've ever struggled with an NYC story LOL. And I mean EVER. It hit 5 am my time--after an all nighter and I still didn't have a full draft :S. I was literally ready to close the laptop and give up, but then my absolute guardian angle of a beta reader found something to like in my half-finished story and gave me an idea to tie it all together (you know who you are, and you're the best!!)

Tbh, I'm just proud to have submitted something! I don't know if it's good, but at least it's a story, which today is enough. Also, I learned a lesson about prompt overconfidence! I was so ready for my first chance at spy genre...I now hate the spy genre hahaha. 

How'd everyone else go? I feel like there was a few people struggling this round, but maybe I was just projecting LOL
cosmicfish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmicfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:13am
I spent 6 hours on draft 1.  Threw it away.  Structurally flawed.
I spent 3 hours on draft 2.  Threw it away.  Could not make the premise work in 1000 words.
I spent 48 minutes on draft 3, including edits.  That's what I submitted.

"Thriller" is not my natural genre, and doing it in 1000 words was messy.
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I did not have a beta after I wrote the final half of the story in 3 hours before deadline, with 11 seconds left on the clock I realized I had forgotten to include the police tape. Oh, well, my first DQ. As it was going to get a QD for not being too much a spy anyway, I can live with it.

Suave!!! I have so much empathy for you right now. When you were talking about hating the spy genre, in my head I kept thinking: "it's not that bad, is it?"

I can tell you, now that I've had it, it most definitely IS that bad LOL. I will never doubt your wise judgement again! All I can say is #CancelSpyGenre Tongue

That was truly the least fun I've ever had trying to cobble together an NYC story haha. Though the adrenaline rush at the end of finally knowing how to finish it was a blast--but maybe that was just delirium
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:14am
Submitted.

Edited by Nimhathuna - 15 Aug 2022 at 1:09am
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:14am
I wasn't able to submit.  I tried for over 5 hours and kept getting an error message from Submittable. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. I did send an email to NYC with my story attached. I'm hoping that works. I'm ready to cry now, but I can't cuz I'm at work. Cry 

(I had the same problem in round 1, but was able to get it to take at the last minute after hitting submit about 100 times. But this time I had no success)
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:16am
I'm really hoping that they accept my interpretation of "fantasy"...from what the Internet tells me, Marvel movies fall into that category.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:17am
Originally posted by FerretKittyMom FerretKittyMom wrote:

I wasn't able to submit.  I tried for over 5 hours and kept getting an error message from Submittable. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. I did send an email to NYC with my story attached. I'm hoping that works. I'm ready to cry now, but I can't cuz I'm at work. Cry 

(I had the same problem in round 1, but was able to get it to take at the last minute after hitting submit about 100 times. But this time I had no success)

That should work. You've made them aware of the technical issue you experienced. I'd be surprised if it didn't. Chin up! All the best.
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 12:18am
Submitted, ate pizza for dinner, and now heading to an evening with a nice Paso port. In less than 36 hours, my baby girl (age 26 but always my baby) is coming to visit! I haven't seen her since May and am abuzz with excitement!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>