NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission bar - SSC Round 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:01am
I had fun but I think this is where I exit. I struggled a lot with making the story a story for most people and I think the judges will just go WTF? But Round 3 is good going, hey!
Short Story R2 - Atychiphobia

Short Story R3 (not on forum but can PM if you're really keen) - R. v R
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Urgh. Had complete lack of inspiration throughout, not helped by having to work Saturday and various other distractions today. Didn't really get going until past midnight here, have just submitted at 3.30am and at the moment I couldn't swear to it making any sense at all.
Ah well, I already exceeded my expectations by getting to this round so I will take this as a learning experience and move on.

Your time zone is such a disadvantage to you. Look forward to reading your story!

Thanks for the support! Honestly though we all get the same number of days and nights, it's just a problem if you can't/don't get started until late.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:42am

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Urgh. Had complete lack of inspiration throughout, not helped by having to work Saturday and various other distractions today. Didn't really get going until past midnight here, have just submitted at 3.30am and at the moment I couldn't swear to it making any sense at all.
Ah well, I already exceeded my expectations by getting to this round so I will take this as a learning experience and move on.

Your time zone is such a disadvantage to you. Look forward to reading your story!

Thanks for the support! Honestly though we all get the same number of days and nights, it's just a problem if you can't/don't get started until late.

I don't no, that deadline at 4 or 5 in the morning is a little bit of a downer, lol.
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:55am
Well done, everyone! 

I think mine went okay, although it was a trying weekend of writing. Wrote a story on Saturday then noped out of it and wrote a new one Sunday. It was for the best though :) Good luck to you all.

Edited by nickofnight - 24 May 2021 at 4:56am
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 6:28am
Well, I got the loophole and the huckster parts of the prompt in... but It's really a stretch to say it's a mystery.  LOL

Fun to write but I think pretty unlikely to get me into the finals - good luck to all!

Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:20pm
To echo other's thoughts, this was TOUGH for me! I had a major diary clash which meant being out of the house all weekend, so I literally had to throw it together in about 5 hours over two (very late) nights. I'm not sure the story even makes sense and am not expecting great results!
argrenier View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argrenier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:23pm
I'm cautiously optimistic? It was an instance of the story leaping into my head more or less fully formed the moment I saw the prompt. It was just a matter of getting the words and story structure right. And for the first time during this contest I actually sat down and wrote it before the night it was due.

My partner thinks this is the best of the three I've done for this contest. (He beta-read the first two and is, for the record HARSH. His first read of my round 2 first draft was like WTF is this it makes no sense, you should light it on fire and start again. Said to me Sunday night at 9pm.) 

But I'm also doing that whole hold your breath don't actually be optimistic or you'll be DISAPPOINTED thing. So. *holds breath.*

Edited by argrenier - 24 May 2021 at 5:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic