NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission bar - SSC Round 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-submission bar - SSC Round 3
    Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:19pm
Congrats to everybody! How'd it go for folks? What's your celebratory libation?

theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:41pm
Urgh. Had complete lack of inspiration throughout, not helped by having to work Saturday and various other distractions today. Didn't really get going until past midnight here, have just submitted at 3.30am and at the moment I couldn't swear to it making any sense at all.
Ah well, I already exceeded my expectations by getting to this round so I will take this as a learning experience and move on.
rachell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

Congrats to everybody! How'd it go for folks? What's your celebratory libation?

I submitted, but I still have time for my beta reader to get back to me with typos or suggestions (hopefully OMG THIS IS PERFECT ha).

Writing was easier before two kids. 
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:58pm
Congrats all finishers! I absolutely hated my story, but got some helpful and encouraging feedback from my beta reader, then made some 11th hour (23rd hour?) improvements, and am feeling a lot better about it.

My story featured an excessive amount of tequila, so naturally I’m drinking...Zubrovka bison grass vodka and Diet Coke. Cheers!
SS1 Cursebreaker

SS2 A Great Apocalypse

SS3 Chance Encounter at the Jewel of the Desert
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Urgh. Had complete lack of inspiration throughout, not helped by having to work Saturday and various other distractions today. Didn't really get going until past midnight here, have just submitted at 3.30am and at the moment I couldn't swear to it making any sense at all.
Ah well, I already exceeded my expectations by getting to this round so I will take this as a learning experience and move on.

Your time zone is such a disadvantage to you. Look forward to reading your story!
Pineapplepizza View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pineapplepizza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:22pm
Water, with a side of relief and a dread chaser.

The real honor is being able to drink after submiting in round 3!
mothrasflame View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothrasflame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:47pm
Losing my mind a little bit over here. Had a terrible cold this weekend (not covid! i checked), so I've just done a big shot of nyquill and will now sleep for 12+ hours.

I took a big stylistic gamble with my story, and I'm just waiting for the judges to hate it. It's all my brain had to offer, so... Three rounds was pretty good, I guess.
ideallyowlish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ideallyowlish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:59pm
That was uncomfortably tight. Easily the most slapdash I've ever left it :/ Resisted the urge to be too experimental and pretentious with form, I just hope that'll be enough to throw off this damn Round 3 curse I seem to be suffering from. Could definitely have done with an extra 250 words or so. Ah well. Finger's crossed. Now for a nice cold cup of sleep, because it's 5am here.
The Shadow of The Waxwing - 2nd
The Queen's Plainsong - 1st
We'll Thaw It Out One Day
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:22am
I think this is the most I've ever struggled in an NYCM round! Well, this one and when I had horror, oceanic trench, and gummy candy in Flash last year. Partly, I think I felt like I really nailed RomCom last round and after getting over the initial excitement to get it again, really felt uninspired. I had to revamp 85% of my story with less than 3 hours to go because I went too heavy on the Rom and completely overlooked the Com. 
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:58am
This one was so hard! Definitely the biggest challenge I've had here so far. I love the idea of mystery stories, but I really haven't read many, let alone tried to write one, and this exercise left me with a new level of respect for people who excel in this genre. I scrapped my whole story six hours out from the deadline and started fresh, so I definitely feel uneasy, like I slapped something together too quickly. But I'm happy to have finished!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic