NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Submission Bar - Micro 250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:15am
Submitted with an hour left, had wine with dinner and had a couple more drop-in betas that made me rethink a couple of things and resubmitted with literally 1 second or less left. After writing all day long. 250 words. Rose tonight. Maybe a White Russian later. Tomorrow I will read what I actually submitted.

Thanks to my betas!  Now I know what a final round is like!

kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

Made it just as the buzzer went! I think I'm happy with it...maybe LOL.

Nicely done. Until you know how you feel about it, I'll be happy with your story for you, even if I haven't seen it yet. Pride by proxy. Normally I charge for this service, but this time it's on the house.
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 3:16am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

When I first saw the prompts, I thought there were so many possibilities, but for whatever reason I just could not come up with an idea. I didn't even start writing until late afternoon. I started and scrapped several ideas. Finally ended up with two drafts. One was a feely drama (which I feel often does well in NYCm finals) and the other a bit of a stalkery, dystopian thriller. I wasn't completely in love with either, but I lobbed them at my writing group to see which they thought was more viable. 

I did almost exactly the same, dismissed lots of lame ideas, eventually wrote up two first drafts and let writing buddies help me decide which to work on. Eventually submitted something I was happy with. Looking forward to seeing the forums open up.
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 3:45am
The idea came quickly and cemented itself firmly in my brain. The issue was drilling it back out to get it on the page. I made the command decision at 3am UK time to put on my big girl pants and submit.

I will look at  it  with fresh eyes today so I can berate myself for that decision. LOL
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 4:56am
Submitted at about 230am UK time, not sure what I wrote was coherent. I refuse to look at it now. I don't want to realise it's worse than I remembered. Despite really struggling with the word count, I did end up just under though so there's that. 

Like a few others, my idea came early on but writing it in 250 words was harder than I anticipated. In my head, the idea was quite sweet and ultimately heartwarming. Wrote it out and bam, it became one of the darkest things I have written for a while, very different to the original plan. I actually had a great idea for interpreting the prompts creatively but got concerned that combined with the story, the judges might feel compelled to call the Samaritans or something on me. So my actual interpretation is more standard and a bit less likely to get me sectioned. 

Orange juice and a healthy round of doc review for me I think.
timmytimtimothy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:51am
Congrats to all of you. Looking forward to reading the final entries later this week! 
MF Round 2: Happy Snaps & Trip-Traps
MF Round 1: Portals in the Pavement
FF Final: As in Popular Culture
Renate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:30am
Congrats to everyone! I ended up submitting a comedy for the last round of microfiction. Gulp. I don't know what got into me. I've never even written a comedy before. Definitely feeling some regret this morning. Did anyone else 'accidentally' pick a genre they aren't too familiar with? 

kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Renate Renate wrote:

Congrats to everyone! I ended up submitting a comedy for the last round of microfiction. Gulp. I don't know what got into me. I've never even written a comedy before. Definitely feeling some regret this morning. Did anyone else 'accidentally' pick a genre they aren't too familiar with? 

First, congrats on just going for it. 'Open' is a great time to test boundaries. Even if it's not the world's most amazing comedy, per se, and the jokes don't all land, the writing and the story itself might still be amazing and that's all that counts.

I didn't write in a genre I'm unfamiliar with. I suppose it could be generically considered 'drama', but my style throughout the competition has been an experiment. My last story pushed the furthest of the three into a more jagged, sparse prose that just gives you little highlights of what's going on. In this one, the sentences and paragraphs got more broken as I went on. You can see it in the actual shape of the story's layout.

I really don't know how it will go down with the judges. It's not horribly unconventional, yet I may have been able to write a more appealing and impressive story in my normal style. Still, this is the format I wanted to play with, win or lose. I could really use so prize money, but no matter what I submitted, no guarantees. I may have lowered my odds, but screwing around with my writing style under pressure feels like it will lead to the most growth, even it it turns out my story doesn't land that well with people and I missed the mark.

So yeah, be proud for trying a thing. It's not easy to put yourself out there, especially when you might have had other options.
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

I may have lowered my odds, but screwing around with my writing style under pressure feels like it will lead to the most growth,...

I love this. 

You are doing this right.
Incarnadine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Incarnadine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:10pm
Does anyone know how long they take for the final round? 

Also, can't wait to read all the stories! 
I'd love your feedback on my final entry- 250 word flash fiction challenge:

Deliverance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic