NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poll: how many hours did the final round take?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Actual writing and rewriting only, once you had the idea
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [40.00%]
4 [40.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll: how many hours did the final round take?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 3:11pm
Once you hit on the idea. May do a separate poll for how long that part took people.

Edited to add: replies okay! Not sure why I turned them off to be honest. Confused

Edited by JeffreyHowe - 24 Jul 2017 at 2:03pm
Sponsored Links

hyenalickn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyenalickn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:20am
I didn't make it into the final round, but I participated and wrote a script to practice for next year and this year's SSC.

Once I found my idea, I got it all written in about two hours. But I also wasn't as invested as I would have been if I was actually competing. It was pretty relaxing, actually.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by hyenalickn hyenalickn wrote:

I didn't make it into the final round, but I participated and wrote a script to practice for next year and this year's SSC.

Once I found my idea, I got it all written in about two hours. But I also wasn't as invested as I would have been if I was actually competing. It was pretty relaxing, actually.

Hi! Glad you decided to write! I did the same thing with the Short Story Contest this year. I got knocked out in the first round (just missed - came in sixth when I needed to be fifth to advance - argh!) A group of us picked a random group number ahead of time and wrote to it - same word count, same deadline.We held each other accountable, created our own little forum using google docs. It ended up being a really fun process. And I came up with a story that I was happy with in far less time than I normally take with these competitions.

I would love to read your script and see where you took things.
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:18am
hyenalickn--

That's an interesting point, whether a "real" deadline motivates faster work, or more careful work, or what.

lisafox--

I did a couple of "practice" 5p waiting for the second round announcements, just to get a feel for it. I've written short scripts before, but not on deadline, and they adapted existing material (old flash fiction of mine).

I like the idea of simulating a round in a group setting. 
hyenalickn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyenalickn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Originally posted by hyenalickn hyenalickn wrote:

Hi! Glad you decided to write! I did the same thing with the Short Story Contest this year. I got knocked out in the first round (just missed - came in sixth when I needed to be fifth to advance - argh!) A group of us picked a random group number ahead of time and wrote to it - same word count, same deadline.We held each other accountable, created our own little forum using google docs. It ended up being a really fun process. And I came up with a story that I was happy with in far less time than I normally take with these competitions.

I would love to read your script and see where you took things.

That does sound like a lot of fun! Writing with others is always a pleasant experience. I was planning on posting the script I came up with on the forums as soon as the confirmation emails come in. But as I am not in this round, I'm just waiting for someone else to be the first and follow suit. I decided to do a fantasy story because I think that's what I'm best at. That open genre definitely helped a lot with the speed at which I could get it done (I spent a good amount of time researching my previous genres, spy and suspense, before I started writing those).

And Jeffrey, I got my script done, did maybe one quick edit, and then called it finished, so I was not careful with it at all. I'm still trying to figure out how a puffer fish impaled a heavy-duty scuba suit in my story. I mean, it is fantasy, not everything has to make sense, right? Eh, I'll go back and edit it down the road. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic