NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POLITICAL SATIRE DISCUSSION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geckomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:04pm
It is in the Creative Writing corner, 1-65, and in Heat 33. Search for The scent of Truffles. I have several posts because I submitted incorrectly and posters can't delete posts.

The title is highlighted in the post which works
Geckomac
Sponsored Links

jibwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Geckomac Geckomac wrote:

It is in the Creative Writing corner, 1-65, and in Heat 33. Search for The scent of Truffles. I have several posts because I submitted incorrectly and posters can't delete posts.

The title is highlighted in the post which works

You can delete the post title/edit components if you want. That can help clarify which post is the right one.
Fris501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fris501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 9:48am
Here's what I came up with for political satire. My first attempt with it, and it went much darker than I expected it to. Much more 1984, less Daily Show. Heat 33.

http://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-h33-pain-brings-us-closer-to-god_topic17046.html
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Fris501 Fris501 wrote:

Here's what I came up with for political satire. My first attempt with it, and it went much darker than I expected it to. Much more 1984, less Daily Show. Heat 33.

http://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-h33-pain-brings-us-closer-to-god_topic17046.html

A bit later today I'll try to get to your piece.  Like many people here I have consciously avoided PoliSat, which is almost certainly the wrong answer.  I also don't watch the Daily Show, or SNL, or TV in general.

In 1984 I was twelve (by definition) miles off the coast of Kamchatka directly outside the port city of Petropavlovsk.  On July 4 the wind chill was minus five Fahrenheit.  As far as I know I was the only guy on the ship smart enough to bring a copy of the book, so I read 1984 in 1984 as close as I could legally get (at the time) to the Soviet Union.
2018 Kurtz Screenplay R2: Преступник
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

As promised, here are a couple of Political Satire entries ...

"Gun Deranged" was a Flash Fiction, Political Satire/Gun Range/A Mop ... Can't remember the score ... I'll try and look it up ... June, 2011 ... (I must have got top marks, because I moved on ... it was my first try at Flash Fiction)

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-g18-gun-deranged_topic5358.html

You scored 6pts for it.  

As you said at the time: "For all of that I got 6 lousy points! I can't wait for the feedback this time! I'll post it here when it comes .."

You weren't too impressed with the judges comments either - they didn't really think it was a satire.
FFC15 4th placed finalist / SSC14 & SSC16 finalist
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

"Gun Deranged" was a Flash Fiction, Political Satire/Gun Range/A Mop ... Can't remember the score ... I'll try and look it up ... June, 2011 ... (I must have got top marks, because I moved on ... it was my first try at Flash Fiction)

You scored 6pts for it.  

As you said at the time: "<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">For all of that I got 6 lousy points! I can't wait for the feedback this time! I'll post it here when it comes .."</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">You weren't too impressed with the judges comments either - they didn't really think it was a satire.</span>

You have a better memory than I do, Gunga Din. I think I always remember things better than they were ... Rose coloured hindsight. How are you, DHL? You one of the 4,000 little wigglers in this first round cluster phuck?

Edited by Scarlet Screenwriter - 23 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm
They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
dundeegirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundeegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

You scored 6pts for it.  

As you said at the time: "<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">For all of that I got 6 lousy points! I can't wait for the feedback this time! I'll post it here when it comes .."</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">You weren't too impressed with the judges comments either - they didn't really think it was a satire.</span>

As someone who ended up with Political Satire in this round, I have to say this made my day! I am bone weary of all the posts about how crap the current Political Satire entries are. It's not like the folks who drew the genre haven't tried to work with it and craft something interesting. These threads were really putting me off of this forum, and then I read this gem. Thank you, DBA Lehane!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 4:17pm
It's not the fault of the people writing them. The genre is the single most specific of any, and the one where it's least likely someone who doesn't already write in the genre will do well. It's basically hamstringing anyone who draws it because unless they just happen to be someone who does political satire already, they're probably going to whiff it. If I make the next round that's the absolute last genre I'd want to get. 
R1 Intruder Alert 13pt
R2 Apples to Apples 8pt
R3 GhostLife
Fris501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fris501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:06pm
Is political satire just a hated genre? I look through the forums and see lots of reviews and critique, but not a lot of love for the political satire submissions. Just curious. Hope I can make it to the next round and get something different!
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Fris501 Fris501 wrote:

Is political satire just a hated genre? I look through the forums and see lots of reviews and critique, but not a lot of love for the political satire submissions. Just curious. Hope I can make it to the next round and get something different!

Not hated ... just challenging and off time misunderstood.  I love it and have had it a few times as short stories and screenplays.  It's the same with HISTORICAL FICTION ... daunting, but that's why we're here!

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic