NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Explain the Point System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote cynstarlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Explain the Point System
    Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:19pm
I notice that some people have points next to their profiles.  How do you get points and what do you do with them?  I cannot seem to find any forums explaining this.  Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Cynstarlight
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:12pm
I don't know all of the mechanics of the points system, it it has to do with your forum contributions. I know when you are 'thanked' for a post (someone clicks the 'Thanks' button at the top right of your posts) you get points. Making a post gives a point, I believe. I am not sure if there are any other methods of accumulating points.

The rank and stars under your username also relate to points. I believe, at 500 points I ended up with four stars.

If you see someone with a lot of points or stars, it probably means they've either been fairly active on the forums, been active for a long time, have been very helpful to other users or possibly all of the above.

As for what you do with them? Nothing as far as I know. They just reflect someone's involvement with the forums. If you see someone with, let's say, 2000 points, it's a safe bet they've been around on the forums for awhile and have entered at least a few contests before.

Edited by kristina_f - 18 Feb 2021 at 8:14pm
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:44pm
Hi!

The points are mostly a vanity thing - notice how many points I have, I am very vain.
I am a master list maintainer so I get thanked a lot for the work I do, means nothing in 
the big picture other than people are pleased with me.

You thank a person by clicking on the word "Thanks" by the little happy face besides 
the word "thanks" at the top right of a post, that gives the person you are thanking 
5 points. I thank everyone that leaves a review on a story that I might post. Alternately 
I thank people that make comments else
where that I liked their comment.

You get 2 points for every comment you leave on other peoples posts.
You also get points for starting a new topic.

Notice that I thanked you on your post here and your number has increased.

MsTrillian View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MsTrillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Hi!

The points are mostly a vanity thing - notice how many points I have, I am very vain.
I am a master list maintainer so I get thanked a lot for the work I do, means nothing in 
the big picture other than people are pleased with me.

You thank a person by clicking on the word "Thanks" by the little happy face besides 
the word "thanks" at the top right of a post, that gives the person you are thanking 
5 points. I thank everyone that leaves a review on a story that I might post. Alternately 
I thank people that make comments else
where that I liked their comment.

You get 2 points for every comment you leave on other peoples posts.
You also get points for starting a new topic.

Notice that I thanked you on your post here and your number has increased.

I've been wondering about this! Thanks! I just added 5 points to you and 2 points for me. Yay. :)
MF250 R1 A rare bum squeaker (RomCom)
SSC R1 Sandy's Song (Drama)
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:29am
I never noticed those points. I think it must have something to do with how long you've had an account, too. I joined the forum a zillion years ago, but also didn't write for many many years and wasn't active here again until 2019. I'm not really an active forum poster so I'm guessing the points are just longevity LOL
SSc Ch3 Bad Lovely Road
SSt R1 Will
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic