NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Petty/Consolation Corner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surnica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:59pm
The context of our society in terms of perception of police brutality changed dramatically from May 8 to mid-June.  I feel like the shift really affected one judge's perception of the story.  But maybe they wouldn't have liked it anyway.  The humor was a little dark to begin with.  

Another judge said they loved the dark humor. Oh well, it is what it is.

The Deputy

Buford thundered into the camp, leveling his six-shooter.  The muzzle flash illuminated the watchman as he fell. Buford leapt from his saddle and doused the campfire, spreading steam and confusion. While other ruffians struggled out of bedrolls, he shot two more and bellowed, “You’ll pay for what you did to Hanksville!”

The final bandit hastily fired his pistol, grazing Buford’s ear. The outlaw aimed again, screaming, “Did to whe--?” before being silenced.

Riding triumphantly back to Hanksville, Buford was surprised to meet the sheriff at the crossroads.  

“Damnit Buford, I said the west canyon!  You done went the wrong way!”

-Caroline

MF100: R1 G24 The Deputy (Action/Adventure)
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Reasonably_Crazy Reasonably_Crazy wrote:

A thread for those of us who thought our stories were pretty dang good but didn't advance.

This is a space to:
  • Moan, sigh, and otherwise be bummed
  • Compain about the judge that Just Didn't Get It
  • Share your story and ask people to tell you that it is, in fact, Good, no matter what the judges say. (This is not a place for truth. We already got our constructive criticism. This is a place for reassurance that we're not actually bad at writing)
If you share your story, make sure you take the time to respond to others (by quote replying!) Give the consolation you wish to receive.

I wish I'd "got [my] constructive criticism." I was tanked by my judges on a story that was incredibly loved on the forums. That's not the first time that's happened, but in this case, their feedback (that promised "constructive criticism") did not in any way account for the low score. I got comments like "This is beautiful" and "There's not much here that needs work." There were a few "needs improvement" remarks, but nothing to account for such a low score.

This is one of the more egregious judging situations I've been a part of in my two years here (but I've since heard of some that are far worse, but those aren't my stories to tell). It has taught me that when I get my feedback with the link to rate my judges, I need to review EVERY judge EVERY time; I looked back at my past feedback and saw that one of my judges from this round has done the exact same thing to me at least twice before, but on stories/screenplays that were pretty "meh" and really didn't deserve to place. I'm kicking myself now for never reviewing this judge before; I'm not saying that it would have done any good, but at least I'd have documented the behavior, even if I didn't really care about those stories. Now, that below-standards judge has been partnered with two similarly poor judges, and a good story has paid the price. 

(And I do mean to review EVERY judge going forward, not just the bad ones. The good ones deserve their well-deserved kudos. Also, by reviewing the good ones positively, it helps the bad reviews stand out even more.)

Edited by jdadams1 - 28 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
Learn from my mistake: ALWAYS rate your NYCM judges

100-word 1 (ghost)

Screenwriting 2 (sci-fi)
phantasm3 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phantasm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:16pm
Despite it having 1,200 views, staying at the top of the topic board during the entire length of the first round and having a lot of good feedback, my story did not make it to the next round. I got a lot of great remarks from he judges and only minor critiques. Stern Smile  I'm not trying to say any story is better than others. However several stories that beat mine just were not very good in my opinion. I don't get it. I appreciate all you guys on the forum here but I don't know about competing here again. 
craigs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote craigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:38pm
Many of the people here do the competition for the forum feedback, not really for the judge's feedback. I have also noticed that stories I think are average will often advance over stories I think are fantastic.  So you have to decide if the forum feedback is worth entering the competition. For many of us, this answer is yes.  I don't otherwise have access to dozens of reviewers, so I still enter. I consider advancement to be like playing poker; it's a combination of skill and randomness.
The 100-word challenge R1: In a Diner
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by phantasm3 phantasm3 wrote:

Despite it having 1,200 views, staying at the top of the topic board during the entire length of the first round and having a lot of good feedback, my story did not make it to the next round. I got a lot of great remarks from he judges and only minor critiques. Stern Smile  I'm not trying to say any story is better than others. However several stories that beat mine just were not very good in my opinion. I don't get it. I appreciate all you guys on the forum here but I don't know about competing here again. 

Wow, it’s like you are my spirit animal, lol. I totally can relate to so much of what you say here (though I’m not sure mine had that many views, but it had great forum reviews). I’m not sure I will continue with NYCM after this one either... I’ve done MANY of these NYCM challenges where I did not place/advance, and just shrugged it off. But this one really seems egregious, particularly given the judges’ “feedback” I got. 
Learn from my mistake: ALWAYS rate your NYCM judges

100-word 1 (ghost)

Screenwriting 2 (sci-fi)
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

Originally posted by phantasm3 phantasm3 wrote:

Wow, it’s like you are my spirit animal, lol. I totally can relate to so much of what you say here (though I’m not sure mine had that many views, but it had great forum reviews). I’m not sure I will continue with NYCM after this one either... I’ve done MANY of these NYCM challenges where I did not place/advance, and just shrugged it off. But this one really seems egregious, particularly given the judges’ “feedback” I got. 

Short Story felt particularly egregious this time with cramming in a fourth round. Since you don't draw the same judges, either, and they're all over the map with what they're saying, it's not like the feedback's useful as your next judge could have totally different ideas about what's good or bad. There's no consistency.
SSC 2020 R3 G1: Hermitage
MF100 R1: Minder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic