NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Petty/Consolation Corner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petty/Consolation Corner
    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:38pm
A thread for those of us who thought our stories were pretty dang good but didn't advance.

This is a space to:
  • Moan, sigh, and otherwise be bummed
  • Compain about the judge that Just Didn't Get It
  • Share your story and ask people to tell you that it is, in fact, Good, no matter what the judges say. (This is not a place for truth. We already got our constructive criticism. This is a place for reassurance that we're not actually bad at writing)
If you share your story, make sure you take the time to respond to others (by quote replying!) Give the consolation you wish to receive.
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:56pm
I will start:

I KNOW THE PRONOUNS ARE SOMETIMES CONFUSING BUT YOU ADMITTED YOURSELF IT MADE SENSE ON A CLOSER READ. I HAD THREE CHARACTERS IN 100 WORDS AND YOU SAID IT WAS GOOD. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME.

Lakerae View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lakerae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:23pm
@Reasonably_Crazy Just read your story. Sorry the judges were confused. I wasn’t. Thought you nailed your genre perfectly. It was entertaining and you did a good job in 100 words. 

Edited by Lakerae - 25 Jun 2020 at 5:24pm
Lakerae View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakerae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:26pm
One judge said my action (applying sunscreen) didn’t make sense. And another said I could use more “substance in the description.” What does that even mean? But they thought my story was funny and honest. Cool, cool, cool. (Sigh)
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:34pm
I also read your story (just now) and it made complete sense to me on a first read. Action is hard to do in 100 words and I actually thought you nailed it (pardon the pun) - the fast pace really sells it.

(Also, Lakarae, I'm surprised yours didn't get through - I just read it and it's fantastic. Made me laugh).

I actually thought my feedback was alright, though I'm not sure they really appreciated that 100 words was a limit, not a guideline e.g. one seemed to think I needed to really go into the history of the relationship of the story, which is fair but I'm not sure where in the 100 words they thought it should go. But on the whole, nothing they said seemed particularly unfair and honestly, one of them gave really detailed positive and constructive feedback which I appreciated (one of them I think was in a rush. The third was in the middle. I find this more amusing than I should)

Read my 1st Round story for 2020 microfiction contest Her Protector
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Lakerae Lakerae wrote:

One judge said my action (applying sunscreen) didn’t make sense. And another said I could use more “substance in the description.” What does that even mean? But they thought my story was funny and honest. Cool, cool, cool. (Sigh)

... But... the action is what makes it funny! That is absolutely something a teenager would do, hahaha! 

I also don't know what more "substance in the description" might mean... maybe they wanted more imagery? IDK.

Your story was super funny! 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Draiglas Draiglas wrote:

I actually thought my feedback was alright, though I'm not sure they really appreciated that 100 words was a limit, not a guideline e.g. one seemed to think I needed to really go into the history of the relationship of the story, which is fair but I'm not sure where in the 100 words they thought it should go. But on the whole, nothing they said seemed particularly unfair and honestly, one of them gave really detailed positive and constructive feedback which I appreciated (one of them I think was in a rush. The third was in the middle. I find this more amusing than I should)

Yeah, sometimes I get the feeling they forget about the wordcount. Like, sure, you could have given them the history of their relationship, but that would have been the whole story. And it wouldn't have been as good. 

A number of judges seem to have the habit of projecting what they felt the story should have been and critiquing that instead of what you actually wrote!
Lakerae View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lakerae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:48pm
Thank you for reading, @Draiglas! I’m happy you liked my story. Glad you got some good, positive feedback. I read your story just now and I thought your writing style was fantastic! All the implications in 100 words! The way you reiterated “crash.” It was well done. 

I would like to add that I’m very salty right now so thank you for this space. I know I’ll get over it. 
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Lakerae Lakerae wrote:

Thank you for reading, @Draiglas! I’m happy you liked my story. Glad you got some good, positive feedback. I read your story just now and I thought your writing style was fantastic! All the implications in 100 words! The way you reiterated “crash.” It was well done. 

I would like to add that I’m very salty right now so thank you for this space. I know I’ll get over it. 

Thanks for reading :)

And yeah, it is disappointing not to get through. But hey, there's 5,999 of us in the same boat as you, if that helps. I also always think competitions can be a bit hit and miss - it really depends on the judge's taste among other things. I often find that a lot of stories I think are great don't place as highly as I'd expect, and stories I don't think are great do better than I expect. Ultimately, your story is still really, really good.

Also, I'm reminding myself that I wanted a free Saturday to see my friend - and now I have one.

(Also, I cheered up when I remembered at my interview for my job, around this time last year, one of the interviewers asked me, in all seriousness, whether they would take a risk if they hired me, given I might become a successful author. I stared at him for a moment and said, "I somehow really don't think this is going to be a realistic outcome judging by the fact I've never won a writing competition". The interviewers started laughing at that, and I got the job. My faith in my inability to become a successful author and thus not quit my job has been proven right, and my bosses still like me :p)
Read my 1st Round story for 2020 microfiction contest Her Protector
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:09pm
So I'm totally confused - when I saw the results were out & my 100 micro fic didn't move on, I was a bit bummer but hey- I've never done microfiction before, it's way out of my comfort zone, so also wasn't too surprised by it. 

But now I've just gotten my feedback- and I got really good positive feedback (& of course the not so helpful constructive feedback of wanting more backstory for the characters.. umm...where dudes?? It's only 100 words.. anyway)- and then I see at the end this comment "ADDITIONAL NOTES FROM NYC MIDNIGHT - This story was disqualified for not including the assigned word (surprise) exactly it is spelled."

WHaaaaaaa??????  Hold on, back the turnip cart up... where did I miss in the rules where says you must use your word prompts exactly word-for-word??  My main character got a huge surprise in the end when he gets
Spoiler Spoiler

stabbed in the back, literally!!
  instead of being paid for his services.. I mean.. what the heck???   My 1st round of the shorty story comp, one of my prompts was fight or flight- and I didn't use those words, I only implied it from the action in the story- and it wasn't DC'd.

annnnd, I'm looking now closely at the FAQ.. yep, it's in there. Well @$%#^#&!!@@   I'm so mad at myself for not seeing that.  Censored   Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic