NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Personally, I'm hoping for...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personally, I'm hoping for...
    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:15pm
As we wait for the 250MF assignments to drop, I'm starting to consider which genre I'm hoping for...this is my 12th round of assignments across various challenges with NYCM, and I've had ghost (twice), spy (twice--ugh!), drama (twice), romance (twice), suspense thriller (twice--my fave!), one historical fiction and one action adventure. 

This time, give me.....horror! Make it so! Big smile

What about you guys? 
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:21pm
First time doing 250. I want anything except political satire. Irish politics is satirical enough.Wink
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

First time doing 250. I want anything except political satire. Irish politics is satirical enough.Wink

Yes! I don't even utter the words "pol sat" in my posts because I'm afraid I'm somehow going to conjure it....ugh! However, sitting here in PA watching the latest CNN updates, I have to imagine that I'd be able to craft something pretty fabulous out of all of the fodder we've got coming at us 24/7 . 

No better time, I guess! 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:29pm
[/QUOTE]
Yes! I don't even utter the words "pol sat" in my posts because I'm afraid I'm somehow going to conjure it....ugh!  
[/QUOTE]

Oh God! I hope I haven't cursed myself. I want fairy tale, fairy tale, and fairy tale (thought if I wrote it three times it might remove the hex). LOL Best of luck with the genre. Here's hoping!!!

Edited by Nimhathuna - 20 Nov 2020 at 3:31pm
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:51pm
They actually change the genres a bit for the micro's. So there is no political  satire, and fairy tale is paired with fantasy as an and/ or, and some other changes to accommodate the small format.
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:52pm
That said, heres my wishlist: 

1) Ghost story
2) Horror
3) Historical Fiction
4) Drama

Then everything else is me shaking my head at 
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Alyxbee Alyxbee wrote:

They actually change the genres a bit for the micro's. So there is no political  satire, and fairy tale is paired with fantasy as an and/ or, and some other changes to accommodate the small format.

That's right! I'd forgotten...after working on the FF and Short Story comps, I was used to the full gamut. OK, well now I'm game for anything...maybe another stab at thriller/suspense...pun intended! :-) 
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm

That said, heres my wishlist: 

1) Ghost story
2) Horror
3) Historical Fiction
4) Drama

Then everything else is me shaking my head at 

I did really well with my first ghost assignment and not at all well the second time. I'm horror-film obsessed, so I'd really like to take a crack at that one, but something tells me it's more difficult to write than I suspect. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved Historical Fiction, so I'd take that one again in a heartbeat! Here's to hoping we all get something smile-making! 
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 4:28pm
So far in NYC competitions I've had ghost, historical fiction, mystery and drama. I'm mostly hoping just to have something I haven't had before, but if I had to pick I'd go for something speculative - sci-fi or fantasy.
My one to avoid is probably mystery - I can't begin to imagine how you set up and resolve a mystery in microfiction.*
Having said that, probably my best - certainly the most successful - story was the hist fic, a genre I was dreading, so maybe there's something to be said for being forced out of your comfort zone.

*Edit: and now I've gone and looked back at the 2019 review, and it looks like they don't do mystery in micro.

Edited by theinquisitor - 20 Nov 2020 at 4:33pm
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:29pm

Hi,

Thanks. I did not know that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic