NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Page size warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Just went to submit and noticed in the nick of time that there's now a standard page size requirement in the rules:

"The page size must be 8.5 inches (216mm) wide by 11 inches (279mm) tall."

That means US letter size rather than A4, for anyone in the rest of the world whose software defaults to A4 (210 x 297mm) like mine does!

I'm not sure if it's new to this SSC or if i just haven't noticed before, but I thought it would be useful to point out!

Lifesaver! So glad I read this thread before the final deadline; my script would have been over the limit otherwise. They really should have made this more obvious for international participants...
WilderCruelerWaves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilderCruelerWaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:54am
Didn't see this post in time, good job Google Docs defaulted to the correct size without me knowing! Agree that they definitely need to make it clearer for those of us outside the US.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by WilderCruelerWaves WilderCruelerWaves wrote:

Didn't see this post in time, good job Google Docs defaulted to the correct size without me knowing! Agree that they definitely need to make it clearer for those of us outside the US.

Yesterday, when I was checking all the settings etc., it appeared that the free version of WD doesn't allow you to change size settings other than in a generic 'screenplay', 'stageplay', 'UK stageplay' way. However, its default size is the US letter size. It's our printers that then adapt the document when we print - if we want. So the fiddling is in the pdf or print settings. BUT it looks as if it's ok on Writer Duet. Celtx has easier 'change the page size' settings, with measurements, A4/US letter type names etc. and I have no idea about Scrivener of Final Draft.

I think I'll email them.....
JCardello View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCardello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 2:48pm
Yeah. I screwed this up as well. 

I was using KIT scenarist - and used Final Draft A4.

Glad for this thread - as I'll be sure to not mess this up in the next round.
Check out my CH3 screenplay A Ticket to Bliss
hwoodwritr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwoodwritr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:37am
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Just checked WD and can't see anywhere to change the size. I had this problem with a screenplay earlier this year... maybe the sizing is modifiable when you save to pdf? No idea. 

See this link:https://forums.nycmidnight.com/paper-size-adjustment-in-final-draft_topic36473.html

Thriller: Dangerous Duo
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:29am
Originally posted by hwoodwritr hwoodwritr wrote:

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Just checked WD and can't see anywhere to change the size. I had this problem with a screenplay earlier this year... maybe the sizing is modifiable when you save to pdf? No idea. 

Yeah, Final Draft and Celtx are one thing, but Writer Duet is another - but my printer seemed to think the doc was US size anyway, and wanted to adjust it to A4 paper. 
One day I'll earn enough to get Final Draft - but 2020 isn't looking like that day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic