NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Page size warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Page size warning
    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:58am
Just went to submit and noticed in the nick of time that there's now a standard page size requirement in the rules:

"The page size must be 8.5 inches (216mm) wide by 11 inches (279mm) tall."

That means US letter size rather than A4, for anyone in the rest of the world whose software defaults to A4 (210 x 297mm) like mine does!

I'm not sure if it's new to this SSC or if i just haven't noticed before, but I thought it would be useful to point out!
andromedae17 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andromedae17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:01am
You've already submitted?! Impressive! 

Thanks for the warning - I had assumed it was just a standard/default page measurement, designed to stop people from trying to cheat the rules. 

Now time to wrestle with Final Draft to find the right size...
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Just went to submit and noticed in the nick of time that there's now a standard page size requirement in the rules:

"The page size must be 8.5 inches (216mm) wide by 11 inches (279mm) tall."

That means US letter size rather than A4, for anyone in the rest of the world whose software defaults to A4 (210 x 297mm) like mine does!

I'm not sure if it's new to this SSC or if i just haven't noticed before, but I thought it would be useful to point out!

Just checked WD and can't see anywhere to change the size. I had this problem with a screenplay earlier this year... maybe the sizing is modifiable when you save to pdf? No idea. 
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Just checked WD and can't see anywhere to change the size. I had this problem with a screenplay earlier this year... maybe the sizing is modifiable when you save to pdf? No idea. 
WriterDuet has page setting capabilities. Until 2014, any changes to the default were not stored, but that's changed since. You can choose US Letter and A4 as sizes. Look for "Page Setup" then "Paper Size."
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

WriterDuet has page setting capabilities. Until 2014, any changes to the default were not stored, but that's changed since. You can choose US Letter and A4 as sizes. Look for "Page Setup" then "Paper Size."

Thanks, will do, though nothing pinged when I put Page Size in the search bar. Will find it.

Edited by fioOxf - 27 Sep 2020 at 3:48pm
PippaBraeburn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PippaBraeburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 3:43pm
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for this!!!
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 3:59pm

Thanks, will do, though nothing pinged when I put Page Size in the search bar. Will find it.

Are you all sorted now? Sorry, have been out most of the day!

Edited by Snarkmaiden - 27 Sep 2020 at 3:59pm
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by PippaBraeburn PippaBraeburn wrote:

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for this!!!

It's all fun and games until you realise that the change from A4 to US letter puts you half a page over the limit Ouch
PippaBraeburn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PippaBraeburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:14pm
Tell me about it... cue the second frantic round of edits...!!! 
JudithB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudithB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 5:54pm
GUYS! The Final Draft mobile app exports direct to pdf AND the file is the same length. It will cost you £10 or $10, but well worth it for not having to cut half a page!!
jb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>