NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overcompensating on Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metchr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:26pm
I enjoy the feedback...or should I say would enjoy the feedback if I had any yet. Cry
If anyone would like to read mine (Heat 96: link is below), I will settle for simple thumbs up. 
However, I will continue to read and leave feedback for others hoping for reciprocation.

Edited by Metchr - 05 Feb 2020 at 4:28pm
SSCR1"The Great Cookie Caper"
MFR1"A Spoonful of Gravy"
MFR2 "Queen's Gambit"
The Red Lion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 1:14pm
I agree the feedback on the forums is the main reason to do this contest (besides the thrill of trying to think outside the box and make your prompts pop in an awesome story). I recently joined a local writing workshop group that critiques each others work (mostly in progress novels), so I've been trying to do a bit of research on how to provide the best feedback to writers.

The main thing I've learned is to be DESCRIPTIVE rather than PRESCRIPTIVE in your feedback. What this means is that you want to avoid saying things like "you should do..." or "change..." Instead, focus on what you are feeling as you read. "This description made me feel sad for the narrator" or "I think I was supposed to feel excited/suspenseful during this paragraph, but it didn't work for me" or "I didn't see that coming, but it completely makes sense!" or "this feel like it came out of nowhere with not enough foreshadowing..." This way writers learn over time what is working in their writing/style and what isn't--instead of just hearing how someone else would write it. It's extremely valuable to know if your descriptions are making readers feel the way you intend or if your story arc/character development is having the intended reaction. That's the whole purpose writing anyways, right? To make readers feel something!

I'm trying to implement this method of thinking into my reviews, though it is sometimes difficult in forum format where you can't leave comments on the document itself. Regardless, a big thanks to all the forumites for their thoughtful and thorough reviews! This is what helps us all become better writers!

xaleas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xaleas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 6:54pm
I'm new to this community, and this is my first time competing and I've been really impressed with the feedback. No one is negative and yet they say things that are constructive and poignant; things that I can act upon and learn from. That's huge! All positive feedback isn't very helpful to me. I want to grow!

Quote  Instead, focus on what you are feeling as you read. "This description made me feel sad for the narrator" 
This is great suggestion for giving feedback!
Billdozer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 7:53am
Originally posted by The Red Lion The Red Lion wrote:

The main thing I've learned is to be DESCRIPTIVE rather than PRESCRIPTIVE in your feedback. What this means is that you want to avoid saying things like "you should do..." or "change..." Instead, focus on what you are feeling as you read. "This description made me feel sad for the narrator" or "I think I was supposed to feel excited/suspenseful during this paragraph, but it didn't work for me" or "I didn't see that coming, but it completely makes sense!" or "this feel like it came out of nowhere with not enough foreshadowing..." This way writers learn over time what is working in their writing/style and what isn't--instead of just hearing how someone else would write it. It's extremely valuable to know if your descriptions are making readers feel the way you intend or if your story arc/character development is having the intended reaction. That's the whole purpose writing anyways, right? To make readers feel something!

I love this. I was disappointed with the feedback I got. I was hoping for some real meat that would help me improve as a writer, not just how my story could have fitted the prompt better, which is what I feel like I got. Saying that, I'm not good at giving feedback. I only read a couple of stories and I really struggled to be honest and not overly critical or mean. Then the ones I read I liked I just gushed on, which isn't helpful either!! 

It's made me more reluctant to post my future stories should I continue in the competition. Someone could be a bad reader, and it's really no reflection on your writing at all, or someone could be a back feeder-backer (like me) and it's really no reflection on your writing at all, or someone could be a bad writer and it's really no reflection on your writing at all! 

I only really want feedback from Kurt Vonnegut or Margaret Atwood and I don't think either of them are here posting 😂 if that comes across as pure arrogant f**kery then lo, I am an arrogant f**ker! 

Krystyne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krystyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Dvmason Dvmason wrote:

[QUOTE=northernwriter]Me? I hope you mean me. I really try! I actually love giving feedback. And I love seeing writers I recognize. It's an opportunity to be helpful in an area where I feel some ability (whatever that means) to give help.

Unless you don't mean me, in which case yes, whoever you mean is also doing a great job, probably. ;) I see JQ on this thread, who's feedback I'm always hoping to see! She feels like the classmate I'm always trying to swap papers with when the teacher would let us grade each other. Hope that isn't insulting!

Would love some real feedback. My history has been filled with the type I’d call sunshine and roses, but not helpful. If something is good, great. But why? So I can be aware of it when I write my next story. Same if something is bad. I want to get better!

That’s the type of feedback I want. But I also know that some people just aren’t ready for anything but sunshine and rainbows. 
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Krystyne Krystyne wrote:

Would love some real feedback. My history has been filled with the type I’d call sunshine and roses, but not helpful. If something is good, great. But why? So I can be aware of it when I write my next story. Same if something is bad. I want to get better!

That’s the type of feedback I want. But I also know that some people just aren’t ready for anything but sunshine and rainbows. 

You could probably ask some follow-up questions of the people who give you feedback, and/or put in your opening post (of your thread) what sort of feedback you're looking for. Smile
Krystyne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krystyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

You could probably ask some follow-up questions of the people who give you feedback, and/or put in your opening post (of your thread) what sort of feedback you're looking for. Smile

Thanks Zelda. I did, sort of, here. But I want to be clear, I didn’t mean ppl here. I did mean-in my past (historically and elsewhere). Here I’ve gotten a some good feedback. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic