NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overcompensating on Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overcompensating on Feedback
    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:43am
Has anyone else noticed this forum feels thick with thoughtful feedback this round? I've noticed a few people giving thorough reviews of peers' work, with an opener to the effect of "Just in case you get a troublesome judge..." 

I've already received some truly lens shifting forum feedback that has so energized me I want to revisit my whole library to see if I can apply the lesson.  I'm even learning by reading through other people's reviews. 

I do so love collective rallying. Good on us!
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:32pm
Peer review and advice is 80% of why I do this competition. I've already received a bunch that has helped me to refine my piece ready to submit for publication after the comp.
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:51pm
I don't know. I feel like I've been slacking this time (but I've been generally tired and lacking motivation in lots of things. I don't know if it's weather or housebreaking a beagle or what.) Maybe there are just way more than usual so I feel slower than I am! Has it only been a week?
SSC 2020 R1 G77: The Artist Is Not Present
RebaSky View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebaSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:57pm
The feedback is incredible. I'm actually looking up how to give better feedback, because some people's are amazing! I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the authors because my reviews are pretty light. 
Sincerely, RS
READ MY STORY HERE SSCR12020
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:19am
My feedback has been fine, but I took a peek at yours and it is INCREDIBLE. Very detailed! Maybe the best I’ve ever seen here. Way to raise the bar here! I will try to do a better job of giving detailed reviews like yours.

Best of luck,
Alex
Short Screenplay R1 Little Miss 4th of July
Short Story R1 The Anti-Wedding Planner
Dvmason View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

My feedback has been fine, but I took a peek at yours and it is INCREDIBLE. Very detailed! Maybe the best I’ve ever seen here. Way to raise the bar here! I will try to do a better job of giving detailed reviews like yours.

Best of luck,
Alex

Me? I hope you mean me. I really try! I actually love giving feedback. And I love seeing writers I recognize. It's an opportunity to be helpful in an area where I feel some ability (whatever that means) to give help.

Unless you don't mean me, in which case yes, whoever you mean is also doing a great job, probably. ;) I see JQ on this thread, who's feedback I'm always hoping to see! She feels like the classmate I'm always trying to swap papers with when the teacher would let us grade each other. Hope that isn't insulting!
Dvmason View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I don't know. I feel like I've been slacking this time (but I've been generally tired and lacking motivation in lots of things. I don't know if it's weather or housebreaking a beagle or what.) Maybe there are just way more than usual so I feel slower than I am! Has it only been a week?

I have very little understanding of time right now, so your guess is as good as mine. I always appreciate your feedback and I take it to mean that if you don't have more to say, that you generally approve in what's being unsaid. Your critical feedback has been, IMO, pretty upfront and always spot on (which is why I so appreciate it). 

Wondering, do you ever change your story after feedback within the link? All of my feedback so far this round I've wanted to go in immediately and make changes. I suppose it doesn't matter because the judges already have the version they have, but I suppose for.. posterity's sake? To leave it as is for this community and change it for publishing at another time?

Just curious y'alls thoughts
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Dvmason Dvmason wrote:

Wondering, do you ever change your story after feedback within the link? All of my feedback so far this round I've wanted to go in immediately and make changes. I suppose it doesn't matter because the judges already have the version they have, but I suppose for.. posterity's sake? To leave it as is for this community and change it for publishing at another time?

Just curious y'alls thoughts

I don't go in immediately EXCEPT if someone points out a typo--those seem to trip up people in every review, so getting rid of them helps the reviews to stay focused.

I always appreciate the feedback, and consider it later as I think about reshaping the story. But I avoid doing any significant work until the scores are released and I pull the story down.
Kevin Thomas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by Dvmason Dvmason wrote:

I don't go in immediately EXCEPT if someone points out a typo [...] But I avoid doing any significant work until the scores are released and I pull the story down.

I think it would be very interesting, informative, and even educational to see a writer's revisions on a story. You could edit the post where you first posted your story-as-submitted link by including a second link for the revised version of your story -- people could see the original and the revised. You could either invite feedback on whether the changes are improvements, or just let people know it's there as a work-in-progress comparison for the curious.

mandabanana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:23pm
I really like that aspect of the forums! I shoved my story into the loving eyes of about five different people I know, but it's entirely different and better to get other writers to review your work. The first part is taking that leap, but it's nice to know that other people want that feedback and that someone else is willing to give it to you back.
SSC1 R1, H11 | The Gravity of Deliverance
Sci-fi | Betrayal | Delivery Driver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic