NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Writings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other Writings
    Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 1:33am
Being a Newbie to this group I was wondering if other writers post works on here for non-contest reasons?

Seeing as how peer review is great for feedback, do you regulars post other works for review and critiques? 

Or is it just for contest entries?? 

Just  wondering as I finish up other stories, would love comments and insight to polish and improve.
Writing is easy, just open a vein and bleed out the words.

Sponsored Links

Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 2:34am

I think I asked something similar a while back. I know many writers have a blog where they post their entries and other writings ... they would have to post an invite link. There is a bit of paranoia about people ripping stuff off, so I don't see that happening. I have swapped features and stories privately with people here for comment, but I don't think I would do it openly.

I have written several feature screenplays ... (One of which I was told just today has a green light and funding to start pre prod) ... and a young adult fiction novel that in my vanity I've put up on Amazon as a 99 cent ebook! I don't know what value there would be in putting them up here. They are also commercial and confidential for the most part.

These stories and shorts are written on a level playing field ... With everyone having the same prompts ... So I think there can be a fair comparison and constructive criticism.

Mr. Jak View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 3:19am
Thanks for the clarification. 

Yeah that all make sense, especially the invite link part. I guess not having everyone have access to it. but the ones you have built a rapport with. 

Congrats on the greenlight btw

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Mr. Jak Mr. Jak wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. 
Yeah that all make sense, especially the invite link part. I guess not having everyone have access to it. but the ones you have built a rapport with. 
Congrats on the greenlight btw

*groan* The greenlight is not as green as it sounds ... this was a commissioned feature film adaptation of a series of tweenager girl's books ... so awful, I barely retained the title, character names and premise ... 5 major drafts over 5 years ... kind of a tweeny Spice Girls musical (does anyone remember the Spice Girls?  Showing my age). 

Now, the hard part ... working with an ace script editor I admire who is going to want to kill all of my babies. 

One happy note ... a well known actor who I had in mind when I wrote a central character has come on board as that character!  You see, screenwriters can direct and cast through big print and dialogue!

Please just keep this between you and me, Jak ...

Mr. Jak View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 5:39pm
Don't feel too old. I remember when Spice World was a huge hit at the box office....

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:33pm

Don't feel too old. I remember when Spice World was a huge hit at the box office....

Yes, I think it was 1998 ... I had 3 daughters by then ... two wanted Spice Girl dolls and one wanted a Telly Tubby ...

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 3:05am

Actually, I'm old enough to be your father, well and truly ...

Mr. Jak View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Perhaps... But my father never heard of Spice World..... and he is pretty sure he isn't missing anything by not hearing of it..

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 6:27am

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Perhaps... But my father never heard of Spice World..... and he is pretty sure he isn't missing anything by not hearing of it..

Well, I think because I started breeding late ... still have a 17 yo daughter at home ... and teach college freshmen ... I may be more in touch than your average Baby Boomer.

maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 6:35am
Is this the 'confessions of being a baby boomer' thread?  If so............ count me in :)

R2 Gp54: The Memory Box

no baby acorns have died in the writing of this story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic