NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

other competitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:30pm
I do nano every year.  It's a way of not letting other things take priority over writing.  So I try to find time to write throughout the day.  I might spend my lunch hour at work typing something that I e-mail to myself and then cut and paste into my novel.  It might be stolen minutes in the morning before work.  Or an hour after everyone else goes to bed.  Being able to say I have to write, makes it easier to be self-disciplined.  Over the last 4 years I've been working on a series and each Nano I write another in the series.  This cheat works for me because I already know my characters. Also, like here, there are forums, and so you can get prompts, engage in word wars, etc.  Little things to help motivate you.

Sponsored Links

sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

NaNoWriMo is a great suggestion. I plan on writing the draft of my first original novel this November. 

Even if you don't have one sizeable project to dedicate 50,000 words to, there are always sprints you could do, or set a weekend wordcount goal. 

Most comps don’t give this kind of feedback. What you need is a writing group. 
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:44am
Thanks so much for the tips! It's more inertia than fear that stops me. That and inability to choose and stick with a project. What is the simplest nanoprep materials/program out there to get organized so it's super simple to just get started day one?

Edited by Vernacula - 14 Sep 2018 at 1:45am
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Thanks so much for the tips! It's more inertia than fear that stops me. That and inability to choose and stick with a project. What is the simplest nanoprep materials/program out there to get organized so it's super simple to just get started day one?

Buying a coffee machine with a timer function, so it is ready when you wake up. 
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:30am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

Buying a coffee machine with a timer function, so it is ready when you wake up. 

Drat. Looks like I'm skipping again this year. Best of luck to everyone else! LOL
Bookworm33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bookworm33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:25am

Can someone explain how to "do" Nano? I always fail on day one and just go get coffee instead. I'm not great at self discipline.
The most important thing I discovered when doing Nano the year I "won" was that if you miss a day's word count, immediately make it up the next day! I had to skip several Sundays, and always did at least double on Monday to get back on schedule. I never could have caught up if I hadn't made myself accountable right away!

You can also do a "Nano Rebel" challenge--lots of people just write short stories until they fill their word count. As long as you reach 50,000 words of "something", it doesn't matter if it's all in the same story!
Noel Alcoba View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Noel Alcoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:39am
A fun one is the 3-day Novel contest, going on it's 41st year.  Happens over the Labor Day Weekend.  Because of the 72 hour time frame the novels average between 90 and 120 pages, 20-25k words, so they're more like novellas. First prize is a publishing contract for your entry.

What the contest does is it kills your inner editor and makes you KEEP WRITING.  It's about the best cure for writer's block (for those of you who believe writer's block exists).  And one the quickest ways to come up with a first draft for something you could expand later.

I had maybe five years worth of ideas, unfinished chapters, and paragraphs I'd write and re-write for months without moving forward.  So I entered for the first time last year just to force myself to start and finish something.  What came out was a wacky train of thought speculative political satire thing filled with typos, tangents, and a plot hole here or there. It was an emotional rollercoaster fueled by bottomless pots of coffee. But in the end I actually finished something.  After going through the physical and mental fatigue of nonstop scribbling I couldn't see myself doing it again.  But I did, two weekends ago.
CH1 GR78 SURGE

CH2 JACK BE NIMBLE

"Never saw your point, Brutus." -Caesar
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:16pm
I often recommend the Yeah Write super challenges. They do a contest every quarter: 2 fiction and 2 nonfic. They are flash, so only 1000 words, which might be too short for your goals. I like that they are professional, judging is very consistent, and the turnaround time is fast. You receive results & comments in 2 weeks rather than 2 months. Unfortunately, there isn't a forum like this for posting/discussing the stories, but otherwise I like it a lot.
Noel Alcoba View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noel Alcoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

I often recommend the Yeah Write super challenges. They do a contest every quarter: 2 fiction and 2 nonfic. They are flash, so only 1000 words, which might be too short for your goals. I like that they are professional, judging is very consistent, and the turnaround time is fast. You receive results & comments in 2 weeks rather than 2 months. Unfortunately, there isn't a forum like this for posting/discussing the stories, but otherwise I like it a lot.

About how many people participate?
CH1 GR78 SURGE

CH2 JACK BE NIMBLE

"Never saw your point, Brutus." -Caesar
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:59pm
I did NaNo a few years ago and credit meetups and wine with my ability to finish. Mostly wine. (Seriously, it doesn't work for me unless I shut down my constant need to edit as I write.) I ended up with something less-than-cohesive at the end, but it was still a great feeling. I'd do it again for sure, just with a premeditated outline.
R1G28 (14 points): Overdue
R2G28: Line of Sight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic