NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open source users? Need help with formatting!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open source users? Need help with formatting!
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 2:00am
Hey all,

I use LibreOffice on Ubuntu to write my story. None of the required fonts are available, only rough analogs of them. So I saved my story with something called 'Courier 10 Pitch' and size 12 font,  added a page break between my title page and main story, and exported it as a docx for submission. Later on, when copying and pasting this to Google Docs, the formatting was totally wonky and the font was all wrong. My page break didn't appear, so the synopsis and the first paragraph show up back-to-back! I'm worried that the docx file I exported might exhibit some of the same characteristics when opened in MS Word... 

I guess I have a couple questions:

- How much do things like font, formatting, and adherence to title page requirements actually matter?

- If there are any other users of open source software out there, how do you deal with these requirements? I don't have access to the required fonts as they are all licensed under proprietary licenses (I suppose I can install them on Ubuntu regardless), and LibreOffice is well known to have issues exporting to MS Word file formats.

Any help would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 2:51am
I use Wordperfect myself, as it is just a much better word processor.  The trouble is that is not recognized by MS and the same kind of problems can come up.  the only way I can fight this is to do a re look before sending, it is really a drag not to be able to use my processor because no one recognzes it, leaving MS to dominate the market when they have a inferior product.
ssc Ulysses"s Weakness
Sp R1 Of Flowers, Trees, and Fish
<a href="https://tiny.cc/ksci1y" rel
Trond24 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trond24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:19am
I can't help on the open source ...

>>- How much do things like font, formatting, and adherence to title page requirements actually matter?

I wish I could find the link fast, but in the Rules (somewhere on the main page, also probably a link in your sign-up or assignment emails)it covers how these are scored by the judges.

70% is on the story, 15% on how well you followed the formatting instructions, and 15% on spelling/grammar stuff.

So you might be docked some amount, but it shouldn't be huge. Definitely beg/borrow/steal something that you can save to a doc or rtf for challenge 2 though. :-)

Good luck!
Ch1 and 2, Gr 28. Links removed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic