NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One day left - How's everyone doing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote courtvond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:19pm
I thought aviation and midwife was going to be impossible LOL
I mean it still may be but I'm gettin close now lol.
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:26pm
I just submitted! This was my first time writing a screenplay and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. But I procrastinated all week! I almost didn't write anything at all because I was intimidated by all the formatting rules, but I ended up writing it in WriterDuet, which made it so easy. I feel good about what I wrote, and I'm so curious to read the work that gets posted in the forums!
courtvond View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote courtvond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:49pm
I've been using WriterDuet for a few years now! I've recommended it to a couple people. It's a little annoying when docs start getting long (at least in my experience) but for any shorter pieces I think it's great.
Iressa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iressa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:01pm
It was a struggleConfused  at first but I feel my characters and moments are finally speaking to me and I'm having fun.  I'm used to writing plays so switching it around to a more visual field is a challenge I'm enjoying.   I am really digging how I know that while I'm writing, someone as far as New Zealand (hi!) or London (I used to live there!) or as close as the next city over from me is also hashing out a drama about an anniversary and a valedictorian.  Big smile

Question:
Can we quote an older poem in our screen play? I have a character who makes a direct reference and allusion to a few lines of poetry that are now considered public domain. If we are allowed to do this, what are the rules? Advice?

PirateJenny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PirateJenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:07pm
I don't see why you couldn't quote from a poem if it's in the public domain. I quote from Romeo & Juliet in mine (the scene is actors at a dress rehearsal). I don't know that there is a specific way to format such quotes. I formatted mine as regular dialogue, but with the characters' names indicating the roles, e.g. "JANE (as Juliet)".
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Iressa Iressa wrote:

It was a struggleConfused  at first but I feel my characters and moments are finally speaking to me and I'm having fun.  I'm used to writing plays so switching it around to a more visual field is a challenge I'm enjoying.   I am really digging how I know that while I'm writing, someone as far as New Zealand (hi!) or London (I used to live there!) or as close as the next city over from me is also hashing out a drama about an anniversary and a valedictorian.  Big smile

Question:
Can we quote an older poem in our screen play? I have a character who makes a direct reference and allusion to a few lines of poetry that are now considered public domain. If we are allowed to do this, what are the rules? Advice?

I understand the public domain as you can do whatever you want with whatever you want as long as it's in the PD. For formatting, I think as long as it makes sense to the reader, it will work.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:21pm
I'll submit, but oof it's a stinker LOL

I got crime caper, and I actually kind of like my idea, but it's so much dialogue and I'm not really writing it well. I just can't work out the story as I need to. Have been here before in previous contests, once with fairy tale, and had dismal results. The plus is, I can readily identify when something is not really working now 

Stern Smile

Hoping to improve it by the deadline. 
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:26pm
Submitted my historical fiction. I am a history nerd so 99% of my time went to research (even though I chose an era I knew quite well already). Thank god it was the 8-day round and not the 24 hour!!
SS R3: Debridement
Screenplay R2: Hope Strings Eternal
Iressa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iressa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:38pm
Thank you so much!   
That is very helpful.

And I'm a big Shakespeare nerd.  Your script sounds interesting already.
Iressa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iressa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:40pm
Thank you so much!  That makes sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic