NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odd Things you Googled during Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by MikeBham MikeBham wrote:

Group 71: Comedy / a taxidermist shop / a fax machine

So the stuff about...stuffing was prompt driven, but the Victorian spin is entirely my own fault.

Ah, right. They were quite different, then. Mine were SF, taxidermy and a curmudgeon. My Victorian spin was mine, too. :)

I'll be interested to see how you got the fax machine into a Victorian setting. I know the precursors of the fax are much earlier than often believed, but that early?
Klieu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klieu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by barnabypage barnabypage wrote:

Originally posted by Klieu Klieu wrote:

"Calories provided by eating a human body."

Dunno if you saw this, but it won an Ig Nobel this year, and is actually quite interesting:

I didn't see this. Thanks for telling me about it!
MikeBham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by barnabypage barnabypage wrote:

Group 71: Comedy / a taxidermist shop / a fax machine

So the stuff about...stuffing was prompt driven, but the Victorian spin is entirely my own fault.

Ah, right. They were quite different, then. Mine were SF, taxidermy and a curmudgeon. My Victorian spin was mine, too. :)

I'll be interested to see how you got the fax machine into a Victorian setting. I know the precursors of the fax are much earlier than often believed, but that early?

I was surprised, but the random googling led me to..

"Scottish inventor Alexander Bain worked on chemical mechanical fax type devices and in 1846 was able to reproduce graphic signs in laboratory experiments. He received British patent 9745 on May 27, 1843 for his "Electric Printing Telegraph."

1843!!!
barnabypage View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:00pm

"Scottish inventor Alexander Bain worked on chemical mechanical fax type devices and in 1846 was able to reproduce graphic signs in laboratory experiments. He received British patent 9745 on May 27, 1843 for his "Electric Printing Telegraph."

Wow! I'd love to see that patent. I would have guessed it was maybe 30, 40 years later.

I can understand how you could send what is effectively digital information by telegraph, and reconstruct it into an image at the receiving end - but how did the "scanning" of the image at the sender's end work?
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 6:53pm
"If you die, do you still have to pay your student loans?"

....oh, wait. That was real life. Cry
#amrevising
spicklerbalt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spicklerbalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:19pm
”cattle prods that look like crowbars”

This was for a story I didn’t submit.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 7:18am
Rats. And that's where my title came from. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516