NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Observation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Observation
    Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 8:28pm
I noticed a lot of posts and personal correspondence indicating people were having a real problem with the prompts, specifically the Open Genre prompt. I have a feeling I would have been singing the same song, had I been in the Finals, too. So... a thought came to mind:

In the future, if we're lucky enough to be in this same position again, why don't we agree to turn to people we trust and make them choose a genre for us. Plain and simple. They say Rom Com, then you write a Rom Com that has the other two prompts included. They say Crime Caper, then you write a Crime Caper that has the other two prompts included. Etc.

This might ease the "Final Anxiety" everyone seemed to be experiencing this time round, as well as in the past. Just a thought...
Sponsored Links

Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:36pm
I may have to do that if I ever end up in the finals again!
SSC R3 - Double Dog Dare
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:40pm
(ominous Yoda voice) You will, you will.

There have certainly been times not picking would have benefited me. 
SSC2018:
CH1 G25 Noble Rot-15 pts
CH2 Cultivar-14 pts
CH3 G2 Unbalanced Diet
CH 4 Kickoff Meeting
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 10:02pm
The first time I made a final round, I flipped out because of the Open Genre and invented my own genre. Of course, this was when NYCM used to make you specify a genre upon submission - I wrote in Horror even though I knew it wasn't Horror because I didn't know how to describe it. Got dinged by judges for writing a non-horrifying, weird and goofy horror.

Then they stopped asking people to identify their genre in the finals. Which was good.

I vowed that if I ever made a final round again, I'd just stick to my comfort areas, and exhaust ideas one by one until something stuck or I needed to move on to my next preferred genre. So basically committing to a sequence of genres before the prompts even hit. It actually has taken the pressure off.

For FFC 2018 finals, I really wanted to write a SciFi but couldn't land on an idea that would fit into 1000 words. So I moved down my list and landed on drama.

This time in Short Screenplay, I teetered just between SciFi and Drama.

I think having someone pick for you is not a bad idea - I wouldn't ask your spouse or a friend to just pick something random but rather, ask your writing friends who really know you well. And have them hold you to it.

Open genre is HARD. Especially when the other prompts are vague. Luckily, our object and setting this time were pretty specific, albeit a little bit Meh. But this year's FFC - Open Genre / Mobile Home (which can be anywhere) / a Wrapped Gift (which can be anything) - was pretty intimidating.

Congrats to everyone who's submitted, and lots of positive vibes to everyone who's still going in this!
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:40am
That sounds like a really good idea, NilesPerry (FMau, here, using my Story ID, soon to be the only one..). I noticed the posts too, and spent 20 minutes wondering if setting myself a genre would help. It did. I'm not in the Finals, but I mean it helped me come up with ideas. 
If I ever.........
But in the meantime, if anyone wants to be set genres in the future, that bit I can do ;)

Best of luck to you all, whatever and however you wrote. 
SSC-2019 G82 By Brighton Beach (Ghost story)
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I think having someone pick for you is not...
I totally meant the person picking a genre for you should be a fellow writer or someone else who understands both this process and you as a writer. A random friend or family member just won’t give the thought or consideration needed for a decision like this. Thanks for the great reply Lisa!

Edited by NilesPerry - 25 Feb 2019 at 12:01pm
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:21pm
For future reference: 

Lisa Fox: PolSat
Nod: Ghost Story
Me: RomCom
Matlock: HistFic
Tim G: Fantasy or Fairy Tale (bring on the poems!)
ShStCh1 H38 - Clearly, a Sin
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I think having someone pick for you is not...
I totally meant the person picking a genre for you should be a fellow writer or someone else who understands both this process and you as a writer. A random friend or family member just won’t give the thought or consideration needed for a decision like this. Thanks for the great reply Lisa!

I could just see my husband, wanting to return to his fantasy baseball planning, just telling me to go ahead and write a comedy. Ha! But I think we're saying the same thing, and I think it's a really good idea.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

For future reference: 

Shocked
You're a meanie, ZBlugg!
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

For future reference: 

Give me Horror or just plain Drama any day. And like Fiona, I’ll be happy to pick genres for people, too.

Edited by NilesPerry - 25 Feb 2019 at 12:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic