NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NYCM: Rhyming Story Challenge!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdre017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 5:06pm
Excited for this, as I'm one of the writers who often does rhyming flash. Not so much a fan of the word count, I've gotten used to having the full 1000 to play with...
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by LivStrom LivStrom wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by jhenn jhenn wrote:

If anyone can point to samples of 'rhyming stories' that would be appreciated :) 

the word on the street is that NYCm has contracted Tim to post one of his from Flash on the contest page, so an example should be coming soon!

Exciting! Here is what came to my mind when I saw it (no idea if this is what they meant though): Poe's Raven, Goethe's Sorcerer's Apprentice, the Grüffalo and similar children's stories. Other ideas? I hope they'll add some suggestions to the genre overview. 

"The Cremation of Sam McGee"
"The Lady of Shallot"
"The Highwayman"
"The Man from Snowy River" (also "Pardon, the Son of Reprieve" and "Clancy of the Overflow", which are so story they were the basis for a movie.)
Patagonia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patagonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 1:17pm
I am 100% unsure if I can do this well, and I 100% signed up for it already! What's the worst that can happen? (No one needs to answer that . . . )
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 2:12pm
Just signed up for it. Shur why not? It'll be an experience, if nothing else.
Chuck1966 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chuck1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 6:32pm
I've been thinking about getting involved with this site and a rhyming story challenge caught me.   

I've been a fan of folk ballads since my age was in single digits and have been writing my own, in that style, since I was a teen.  I've been working on an epic poem, in fits and starts, for 16 years and am nearing 5,000 lines.   I'm also involved in community theater and the plays I write almost always include at least some verse.  

But the challenge of getting something written with a deadline is going to be something new.
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -- C.S. Lewis
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:36am
I wasn't going to join this one but these comments made me jump on board. 
Every Christmas, I rewrite/trash 2 famous poems for my friends. These are the only lines I remember from the first one I wrote...in highschool Beer

'Twas the night of the party and all through the house,
Not a person was straight, including the mouse.
And what to my bloodshot eyes should appear
but bag of Columbian and two kegs of beer....

That's all I can remember of that one, reason is self-explanatory.

So far I've trashed this poem with themes ranging from Rampaging Snowmen to Christmas Ghosts. Sometimes it's news events, Covid, Trump as Anti-Santa etc. The other one I regularly destroy is The Twelve Days of Christmas.  I do it by genre, sci-fi, horror etc.

If you need inspiring examples, songs work. Like Gordon Lightfoot's lyrics for "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", pretty much any Iron Maiden, Leonard Cohen, old blues songs.
I'm nervously looking forward to it LOL
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

I wasn't going to join this one but these comments made me jump on board. 
Every Christmas, I rewrite/trash 2 famous poems for my friends. These are the only lines I remember from the first one I wrote...in highschool Beer

'Twas the night of the party and all through the house,
Not a person was straight, including the mouse.
And what to my bloodshot eyes should appear
but bag of Columbian and two kegs of beer....

That's all I can remember of that one, reason is self-explanatory.

So far I've trashed this poem with themes ranging from Rampaging Snowmen to Christmas Ghosts. Sometimes it's news events, Covid, Trump as Anti-Santa etc. The other one I regularly destroy is The Twelve Days of Christmas.  I do it by genre, sci-fi, horror etc.

If you need inspiring examples, songs work. Like Gordon Lightfoot's lyrics for "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", pretty much any Iron Maiden, Leonard Cohen, old blues songs.
I'm nervously looking forward to it LOL

Hahahahaha, very funny!
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Hahahahaha, very funny!
I'm remembering more from that poem, just as bad as the ones above..

The joints were all rolled, piled high up in stacks,
In hopes that by nine, we'd be blown to the max.

Last bit was something like:
He rolled up a spliff and flew up to the sky,
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good high.

And that's why I sometimes struggle with English and Grammar. This is the type of thing that I would be writing in class when I should have been reading Catcher in the Rye.
Oh well, learning is better late than never.LOL
gabberj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabberj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:03pm
Since this is a new category, it would have made sense to keep the format simple. Why have a genre at all? Surely three prompts would suffice for the first go round
Read my 1st Round story titled A Burning Bush https://forums.nycmidnight.com/100-word-fiction-g86-a-burning-bushhorror_topic41902.html
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 8:46pm
Reminder: early deadline tonight then entrance fee goes up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>