NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NYCM: Rhyming Story Challenge!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Anyone think that NYCM is angling to get rid of narrative poems in the flash fic contest after this? Thoughts?

I hope not! I've read some free verse Flash entries that are absolutely stunning, and I'd love those to be able to stay. I'd hate for a rule change to leave no space for free verse between Flash and Rhyme :\
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

I'm psyched. This sounds absolutely absurd. Also, the temptation to compete in an inaugural challenge is hard to resist LOL The only thing is that 600 words seems LONG to maintain a rhyming scheme. I'm excited to see where it forces my brain to wander, though!

I mean, there are people who milk rhyming poems into flash fics (this would seem like a way to direct those to this contest instead.) Yeah, it usually is awkward at a few points, but 600 isn't THAT much longer than the 250...I'm kind of tempted as they seem to be serious about rhyming (no free verse) and it would certainly be a challenge, especially if you got something not inherently funny (not that there aren't broad definitions of funny. I love "The Cremation of Sam McGee" which is more than a touch morbid.)

That's true! I hope NYCM leaves space for free verse to continue in Flash, but I can see trying to direct rhyming entries to this contest, instead!
lmdw819 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lmdw819 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:19pm
I could not register fast enough, but believe me when I say I will not start until day 7 😂
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 9:48pm

Haha! Tim G gets free money - this is his wheel house.
Me? Fraid not, I have enough trouble writing the stories 
so they make sense, try and make them rhyme as well, 
mind boggling.
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:25pm

Anyone think that NYCM is angling to get rid of narrative poems in the flash fic contest after this? Thoughts?

AH! I hope not! I had SO much fun writing a narrative poem for Challenge one of flash this year. 
Flash22Ch2 The Eyes are Dead
Flash22Ch1 Blood Covenant - 6th
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by WhistlerCrowe WhistlerCrowe wrote:

AH! I hope not! I had SO much fun writing a narrative poem for Challenge one of flash this year. 

YES! Yours is the one I was talking about!! It's SO GOOD and I'd hate to miss out on stories like yours in the future Cry
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

YES! Yours is the one I was talking about!! It's SO GOOD and I'd hate to miss out on stories like yours in the future Cry

Thank you so much!! Such a nice compliment to read. Fingers crossed that's not what their plan is or that they'll possibly open a free-verse contest in a similar vein, maybe? (A girl can dream, right?LOL)
Flash22Ch2 The Eyes are Dead
Flash22Ch1 Blood Covenant - 6th
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:13pm

I actually hope they are. It's a story contest, not a poetry contest, so this seems like a way putting those into a category for them (and/or they got complaints from people and/or judges about the poems in a fiction contest.)
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 12:59am
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO in!

I write my own raps in my band, and some of them are stories a la Slick Rick's Children's Story, Eminem's Stan, etc. In fact, one of my favorite self-written and performed songs is a little ditty I named Rap-sody in Blues, that starts out thus:

I'm gonna make this tellin' somewhat bluesy
cuz the story I have is a real doozy:
I had me a husband by the name of Goosey
and we had a dog by the name of Lucy.
Then one day, I think it was a Tuesday,
we's watchin' a movie with that star Bruce Lee
and some kind'a female that I think was a floozy,
when my husband turned his head, lookin' kind'a boozy.
In a voice like the ocean blue so deep, 
he said, "My darlin', this life I cannot keep
so I'm leavin' you soon; now don't you dare weep."
Well, I looked back at that low-down rotten creep,
that stingy man who was always so cheap,
and what I said was, "bleepity bleep bleep."
Then he went outside, jumped in the rusty jeep,
and didn't return 'til time to go to sleep...

Edited by TeeHi - 26 Sep 2022 at 9:13pm
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:24pm
This one is not for me
I suck at this, majorly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic