NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number of 2022 SS Submissions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffinyfelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number of 2022 SS Submissions?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:05pm
Will NYC Midnight share how many submissions, out of the 6,245 registrations, they received for the 2022 Short Story competition? It would also be interesting to see it broken down by group.

And then also, how many stories ended up going to the judges (total and by group) as I imagine there are some that will be disqualified.
SweetLoretta View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetLoretta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:38pm
These are great questions!!!
SSC R1 G13: Wake Up Call
Ghost Story/Oversleeping/A Roommate
existenceproof View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote existenceproof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 10:19pm
bump.
It's great to know that you scored in the top N in your group (where N is the number of submissions which will advance out of the first round). N=5, for example, in the Short Story 2022 challenge.
It's another thing entirely if there were only N actual submissions in your group in the first place.
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:57am
We don't announce submission numbers, but typically 70-80% of the writers in the earlier rounds complete the challenge on time.  The percentages go up through each round of the competition with the final round typically being 100% completion on time. We also allow writers to submit late in each round as well.  Late submissions receive feedback from the judges, but they aren't eligible to move to the next round.  We hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Good luck!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
tiffinyfelix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffinyfelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:41am
Originally posted by NYC Midnight NYC Midnight wrote:

We don't announce submission numbers, but typically 70-80% of the writers in the earlier rounds complete the challenge on time.  The percentages go up through each round of the competition with the final round typically being 100% completion on time. We also allow writers to submit late in each round as well.  Late submissions receive feedback from the judges, but they aren't eligible to move to the next round.  We hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Good luck!

Thank you, that does help some. It would be nice to know how many stories in my group my story was competing against. As mentioned above in a different comment, if I were to advance to the next round, but there were only a handful of submissions, that feels less meaningful than if nearly my whole group submitted stories. The Master List helps, but not everyone shares their stories.

Thank you, again, for answering Smile Have a great day!
Erik View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 9:39am
Originally posted by NYC Midnight NYC Midnight wrote:

Glad I found this. A question though ... for the 100 word micro fiction I was told to use the late submission path to send my piece due to the inability to send it the typical way. It was not entered late. I have since corrected this for the flash fiction piece. Will my piece be counted as actually being late? 
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 2:59pm
Hi Eric,
If you uploaded your story through the Submittable link before the deadline, you will not be marked late. We hope this helps, but feel free to send us the specific details of your story via our contact form at https://www.nycmidnight.com/contact and we can look into it if you have further questions. Thanks and good luck!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
 Post Reply Post Reply